PDA

View Full Version : Evelyn Hofer, Subtle Photographer of People and Places, Dies at 87

Toyon
11-Nov-2009, 12:29
A wonderful, photographer, Hofer used a 4x5 to pursue a style of portraiture out of step with the times, but revered now. See the article at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/arts/design/10hofer.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=hofer&st=cse

There's an interesting piece about her work, with images, at:
http://www.utata.org/salon/20503.php

George E. Sheils
11-Nov-2009, 13:21
Oh dear what a year.:(

We lost Irving Penn and now Evelyn Hofer.

Evelyn produced a wonderful series of pictures in Dublin, Ireland

as I recall - particularly capturing some great documentary pics of young girls on bikes

and people involved in Gaelic games.

May she rest in peace.

William McEwen
11-Nov-2009, 15:12
How many times do you see the word "cumbersome" pinned to any story that mentions view cameras?

Bill_1856
11-Nov-2009, 15:29
Thank you for the links. The pictures are lovely!
I was not familiar with Ms. Hofer, but her work reminds me of another great contemporary German photographer Lilo Ramond(sp?).

resummerfield
11-Nov-2009, 15:52
I've always admired her work. RIP Evelyn.

Thanks for the links, Toyon.

Toyon
11-Nov-2009, 20:05
How many times do you see the word "cumbersome" pinned to any story that mentions view cameras?

Reporters get stuck using trite phrases. They are so pressed for time, that they use them almost without thinking (e.g. "pressed for time").

However, I'm willing to admit that my 4x5, as elegant as it is in the way it is designed, is cumbersome. However, it feels like a Mini Cooper compared to using a Calumet C-1.

Mark Sampson
12-Nov-2009, 12:55
To my mind, Evelyn Hofer was one of the greats. A quiet, unforced vision and a great sensitivity to the people, and places, that she photographed. I must have been about 12 when my (English) grandfather gave me a copy of her book "London Percieved". Her work struck me immediately (that was before I ever made a photograph) and I've thought it a masterpiece ever since. I have since found 'Dublin:a Portrait' and it's just as good. May she rest in peace!