PDA

View Full Version : New member advice on a 4x5

snommisbor
10-Nov-2009, 11:11
Hi,

Looking to upgrade from my Crown Graphic to something with more movement and I have been looking at a few options.

1. I like going out into the field and would maybe like to go that route yet I would like to do some studio work as well with this camera so the view may be a better option.

2. Some cameras I have been looking at would be a used Toyo 45AII which can be had for 1,100 said to be only used twice. I have seen at B&H a used Sinar P2 for 998.00 but with a rating of 8 Well used - may exhibit "dings" or finish marks. I have a Used Sinar F2 Kit with Schneider 210/5.6 APO-symmar (EX+) at my local camera store for 1,500. I have also considered going new with something like a Tachihara 4x5. I am trying to stay in a budget of around 1,000 to 1,500 dollars. So any opinions on what route I should take.

Thanks

Bill_1856
10-Nov-2009, 11:24
You should consider a Graphic View II and get the adapter to use your Crown Graphic lensboards. These things last forever and have all the movements you could possibly need. Probably under $150. You may never need anything else.

Shawn Dougherty
10-Nov-2009, 12:11
I picked up a Toyo 45AII this spring and it has quickly become my favorite tool. I highly recommend it. Shawn

ki6mf
10-Nov-2009, 14:43
Depends if cost is a factor. The solutions already mentioned work great. The next step up in price would be a used Cambo or equivalent $2-500K depending on condition and accessories. Next are new Chinese field cameras Shen Hao, my personal camera, and Chamonix new in the 6-800 range. Next is used sinar F2 and others. I would get good glass first and if budget permits do the camera second. The camera is just a box to hold light and they all work the same once you learn how to use the controls.!

William McEwen
10-Nov-2009, 14:56
Sinar Alpina.

snommisbor
10-Nov-2009, 16:28
Well I was at the camera store and they had a Toyo 45C with Schneider 240 5.6 Copal 3, a Bogen 3251 tripod with a heavy duty head, 14 film holders a Polaroid 545i, a extra recessed lens board, and regular lensboard looks like a copal 0 or 1, a focus cloth, a Toyo spanner wrench, a shutter cable, and looks like something that goes over the bellows and a case all for $1,000. Looks like it is brand new, so I think I am in business.

venchka
10-Nov-2009, 23:08
Good score! All those little bits and pieces add up in a hurry. I wonder what the thing is that goes over the bellows? Wide angle bag bellows maybe?

Enjoy!

George Pappas
11-Nov-2009, 14:06
Hello Snommisbor,

That outfit sounds like a decent setup. The one thing that jumped out at me was that the 240mm lens could be a bit narrow depending on the subject matter you typically shoot. I used a 240 for years on my 4x5 but it was a "narrower view" lens.

My main lens for 4x5 has been a 210 which is visually very different than the 240. Many people use a 150/180 as their "dominant" 4x5 lens.

You should consider this as you make your decision regarding the outfit. If your typical subject fits the 240, this could be a great deal for you. If not, you will end up adding another lens soone than you think.

Best of luck on your journey..

George

snommisbor
11-Nov-2009, 15:27
Wayne, it is a wide angle bellows. I switched it out this morning to see if that was what it was.

Rob

venchka
11-Nov-2009, 15:28
I know some stuff. Glad you figured it out. Now go get a wide angle lens.