PDA

View Full Version : help in making complete set of 4 X 5 camera

JV photo
9-Nov-2009, 00:55
Greetings,

i am new to 4 X 5 system. i have never used 4 X 5 in past.

i am planning to buy silvestri S4( S4 Camera Body with 4x5” Back) for shooting landscape. need help in buying basic tools which will complete this unit,

i am also told that i can use sinar f2 and P2 lenses on S4, do i need any attachment for it??

your help will be appreciated.

Regards

JV

JV photo
18-Nov-2009, 22:47
Please help

Vaughn
18-Nov-2009, 23:45
Hello!

Very interesting first 4x5! A very beautiful camera in its own way. I like the flexibellow option...seems it would allow for more creative options.

It seems to be a bit of a specialty camera -- mostly shorter focal lengths. The manual for it mentions lenses only up to 135mm. Normally I would suggest a camera that would be more adaptable to many uses, such as an Ebony wood field 4x5 (folding or non-folding)...being able to use longer (150 to 300mm) lenses is nice when photographing landscape. But perhaps you prefer only the wider angled compositions.

From the manual for the Silvestri, you will need spacers for both the back of the camera and to hold the lens for each lens you have (some might double up for different lenses.) Here is the list of lenses it can use, and the adapters/spacers needed...

http://www.silvestricamera.it/tabelle_pop_up/table_s4.htm

So, once you got the camera body, a lens and a lensboard for it, you got a few things to put on your shopping list.

Tripod, darkcloth (or eqivilent), light meter (spot?), film holders (4x5 sheet, roll backs, Fuji instant film and/or ready loads), filters, cable release, ideas, creativity, etc. And maybe a pack to put it all in. Film, of course. Some odds and ends...stuff/tools for small field repairs, a small brush to clean off film holders before use. Don't worry if you don't fill your pack all the way...eventually you will. So the bigger the pack, the more one ends up carrying.

have fun!

Vaughn

PS...the below link goes to search results that might be good reading.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?searchid=3347141

rugenius
19-Nov-2009, 00:15
Seems you are new to 4x5,... but it seems you have already determined what you "want" with that specialized system.
That could be good...
If you are unsure, then do the diligence and explore.
If you have already made up your mind then why ask other than to confirm your uncertainty?
I agree with the other comments about exploring opportunities with some of the Ebony cameras, or other landscape specialty camera systems...

JV photo
19-Nov-2009, 01:15
Sir.

Thanks for reply,

I am very new and never used 4 X 5 camera.

I have tried to explore but i dont understand the jargon used on various websites.

The first major issue is my budget, second i need compact camera only for landscape photography, third availability in my country. i would like to start with one body and one lens.

I am sorry to post this kind of basic stuff in pros forum.

more help will be appreciated

Vaughn
19-Nov-2009, 01:49
For general use, a wood folding 4x5 field camera like this one:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=55426&highlight=4x5

or this one...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=55550&highlight=4x5

is a good place to start. Often found used, wood field cameras can be found for under $500 US, depending on the maker.

If one is not going to carry the camera very far, than a mono-rail 4x5 camera like this one...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=54141&highlight=4x5

might work for you. Older mono rail cameras are often lower priced than the folding cameras. They are usually a little more difficult to carry around, but easier to use in the studio.

A 150mm lens is an average lens for 4x5, and is the one I recommend if you are going to use only one lens. Some people prefer to use a shorter lens, some others like a little longer lens.

Vaughn

Vick Vickery
19-Nov-2009, 07:21
JV, since you are planning to use this camera for landscape photography, a basic camera with normal movements would suit you well (see again the cameras refered to in the classifieds here by Vaughn) and, since you joined this forum in April 2009, you will be able to access the "for sale" section here. Most landscape photographers use lenses ranging from about 90mm to 250mm with many making most of their shots with "normal" lenses in the 150mm to 165mm range; you would do well to consider a camera which will handle a full range of short to long lenses.

You began by asking how to set up an "outfit"...of course you will need a basic camera and lens, then you will need to add a tripod of sufficient strength to handle a large format camera (the one you had for your 35mm or Digital camera probably won't be hefty enough), film holders, a hood to block light from the ground glass so you can see to focus in bright sunlight, and some way to calculate your esposure (your 35mm or DSLR could be used, but an exposure meter is less bulky in most cases).

I would recommend some reading, also, such as Ansel Adams' "Camera and Lens", the first book of his 5-book series. I have found this book to be very basic in its explanations and easy for most beginners to understand; it will answer most of the question you have. But do keep in mind that it was written some time ago and alot of the new equipment isn't covered...but the basics are still the same.

Shoot lots and have fun!

JV photo
19-Nov-2009, 10:05
Thank you sir,

will buy the book, its available hear.

Thanks again

venchka
19-Nov-2009, 11:11
Thank you sir,

will buy the book, its available hear.

Thanks again

Please tell us where you are. Members close to you may be able to give good advice for your part of the world.

For your reading. Start at the top. Very good information.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Ivan J. Eberle
19-Nov-2009, 21:30
There are also a number of good tutorials on the basics of LF photography at the home page for these forums (http://www.largeformatphotography.info), including the pros and cons of the various camera types and systems.

John Kasaian
19-Nov-2009, 23:35
Using The View Camera is a good basic book. For landscape I'd suggest a lens between 120mm to 210mm depending on your subject. Wider lens for up close, intimate landscapes and a longer lens for the 'grand view' though that is certainly a personal choice. The important thing is that it covers 4x5 with plenty of room for movements.
For a camera you'll want to hike with, a wood clamshell type folding camera is generally more popular than other types.
If at all possible take a class and use the school's cameras in order to get an idea how these things work.

John Berry
20-Nov-2009, 15:33
If only one lens, make it a 210. If you limit yourself to one lens for at least a year. It will payoff forever in your learned ability to SEE.

rugenius
20-Nov-2009, 19:51
I'll agree with the 210 mm.
I'm new to LF and in the short time spent experimenting the Schneider Symmar S MC was wonderful to use and a great purchase ($250 in EX+ condition).
The Chamonix 4x5 is also very compact/ field ready IMHO.
I'm enjoying it using a 6x12 roll film back.
Just gotta remember to shut the shutter before placing the film holder onto the rear standard!!;)