PDA

View Full Version : needed info on arca swiss monorails

Discoman
8-Nov-2009, 20:18
Ive seen some differing versions and heard lots of contradicting stuff about the arca swiss monorail, so i would appreciate someone helping clear the water so to speak.

does it have asymmetric tilts/movements like the sinar? some say it does, some say it doesn't

ground glass meter-I read that they had a camera that uses 1mm sensors on/in the glass that could be independantly selected with a special computer unit, which would then set the shutter speed. did this exist or was it only an idea that got thrown around?

arca swiss M-line e-this is apparently some camera that existed, as a large format book i found had all the specs, just not the price. what was this?
does it offer behind the lens shutter for barrel lenses?

thanks

Kirk Fry
8-Nov-2009, 23:33
I am not sure even ARCA knows the answers. There has be very spotty representation for the company in the US over the years. Occasionally there are representatives and then not. Parts replacement and orders were very slow or non-existent. I just found this site: http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/faq.html. Call them up and ask them. Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix 800.777.6627 is also an expert on ARCA. Good Luck. The compatibility matrix is a mess, some old stuff works with new stuff some not. ARCA Swiss still does not have a web site. Go figure....... It is sad as the cameras are great....

John Schneider
9-Nov-2009, 00:37
The M-Line was the predecessor to the current Monolith. It also had (or had the option for) geared front axis tilt, whereas for the Monolith you would have to get Orbix.

Kind of like Nikon 35mm, most things from all eras interchange forward and backward, but some things only work (or work well) one way. Rather than giving a big laundry list of what in my experience doesn't interchange, you're best calling Rod with particular questions.

No behind the lens shutter AFAIK. You just use a Packard or adapt a Sinar.

RK_LFteacher
10-Nov-2009, 09:01
The cameras, E modules, did indeed have a sensor/metering ground glass. I'm not sure how many of thjese were ever sold, but not many. They had a shutter similar to Rollei/Horseman electronically controlled type with a wired remote control. As I remember they were at least $1500.00 higher in price.
You could program which intersections of the grid on the ground glass you wished to use a reading from.
Rod

Ive seen some differing versions and heard lots of contradicting stuff about the arca swiss monorail, so i would appreciate someone helping clear the water so to speak.

does it have asymmetric tilts/movements like the sinar? some say it does, some say it doesn't

ground glass meter-I read that they had a camera that uses 1mm sensors on/in the glass that could be independantly selected with a special computer unit, which would then set the shutter speed. did this exist or was it only an idea that got thrown around?

arca swiss M-line e-this is apparently some camera that existed, as a large format book i found had all the specs, just not the price. what was this?
does it offer behind the lens shutter for barrel lenses?

thanks

evan clarke
10-Nov-2009, 11:10
The cameras, E modules, did indeed have a sensor/metering ground glass. I'm not sure how many of thjese were ever sold, but not many. They had a shutter similar to Rollei/Horseman electronically controlled type with a wired remote control. As I remember they were at least $1500.00 higher in price.
You could program which intersections of the grid on the ground glass you wished to use a reading from.
Rod

Good to see you here, Rod...Evan Clarke

Discoman
18-Nov-2009, 18:34
Rod
is this an addon for the M-line or is it a camera on its own?
is there one to rent, preferably with geared front tilt(if it is an addon for the M-line)?

did it do the electrostatic pen on glass focusing that the sinar e did? where the camera could autofocus for the depth of field once the edges of the depth were set?