PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

dave98498
8-Nov-2009, 10:14
Hello,

I am a recent returnee to photography from a very long absence. For now, I am focusing on the use of black and white, medium format with my Rollei, and specifically spending time practicing exposure control and re-familiarizing myself with working in the darkroom. I am now almost 55; the last time I made prints I was 22.

I have used LF in the past, a 4 x 5 Crown Graphic, and hope to return to that format using a more capable view camera in the future, but for now I am going to keep it a tad simpler.

I like what I have seen of this forum. It seems well-organized and the few articles I have read have been quite informative and enlightening.

Best regards,

Dave

Vaughn
8-Nov-2009, 10:41
Welcome, Dave!

Vaughn

Steven Tribe
8-Nov-2009, 11:22
I think we are many in the same situation as you Dave! A youthful interest and the magic of images emerging in the darkroom leads to a later more experimenting phase!

Charles Hohenstein
8-Nov-2009, 12:17
Welcome.

Vick Vickery
8-Nov-2009, 22:05
Welcome to group therepy! :)

dave98498
9-Nov-2009, 15:44
Thanks to each of you for the welcome!

I have found a way to "practice" for LF (when the time comes) with my Rollei: I will get a sheet film back, an attachment offered by F&H and obtainable used on eBay, and expose and process the 6 x 9cm sheets using the same methods as you "big guys." There is even a ground glass attachment for the sheet film adapter, so the composition and focusing takes place through the image-making lens of the TLR instead of the viewfinder lens.

Using sheet film seems to be the only way to truly practice using the Zone System, developing the negative according to the individual situation when the negative was exposed. Since that's what I am aiming to do, it seems like a logical step. And since the width of the sheet film is the same as standard 120 roll film, I can even use the tank reel, carefully loaded so as not to overlap, to develop several sheets at once in my developing tank.

My very first film development experience was with 6 x 9 sheet film that I exposed in a pinhole camera I made of cardboard, tape, and tinfoil. I was in seventh grade at the time :-)

Thanks again for your welcome,

D.