PDA

View Full Version : Aplanat Hess & Sattler

menelajas
7-Nov-2009, 12:42
Hello, guys

Today on the market I found this beauty for 85 $.

On the lens: Aplanat Rectilineare Rapide; Hess & Sattler; Bayreuth

No diaphragm:( Maybe somebody have scans of diaphragm which I could use as templates for making new one?
or have more info about this lens?

I'll try to do some testing tomorrow:)

EdWorkman
7-Nov-2009, 13:00
There appears to be a slot for Waterhouse stops- which can be made from cardboard for openers, then metal as you confirm the fit, etc

Steven Tribe
7-Nov-2009, 13:49
Sold by Hess & Sattler who must have had a photographic store in the non-industrial town of Beyrouth - then experiencing a tourist boom because of the establishment of Richard Wagner's memorial theatre! It might be a F6 RR/aplanat rather than the usual F8.

menelajas
7-Nov-2009, 13:57
Sold by Hess & Sattler who must have had a photographic store in the non-industrial town of Beyrouth - then experiencing a tourist boom because of the establishment of Richard Wagner's memorial theatre! It might be a F6 RR/aplanat rather than the usual F8.

Wow great story :) Thanks.

I'll check in the morning if it F6 or F8.

What are analogical lens to this Aplanat from other manufactures?

Ole Tjugen
7-Nov-2009, 16:04
Looks like an f:8 to me...

A great number of German manufacturers made Aplanats,but this one has enough French writing on it that I suspect it of originating in France. Something reminds me of Derogy, but I have no idea what.

The sharpest lens I have ever used, without exception, is a Meyer Aristoplanat. That was Meyer's name for the Aplanat...

menelajas
8-Nov-2009, 00:29
Looks like an f:8 to me...

A great number of German manufacturers made Aplanats,but this one has enough French writing on it that I suspect it of originating in France. Something reminds me of Derogy, but I have no idea what.

The sharpest lens I have ever used, without exception, is a Meyer Aristoplanat. That was Meyer's name for the Aplanat...

Focus to infinity 21 lens diameter 3,6. When 21/3,6 = F 5,83 (so F 6)
Correct me if I'm wrong:)

Ole Tjugen
8-Nov-2009, 02:51
From your picture, the diameter of the front cell (glass only) looks to be about 2.8cm, but the ferrule might be confusing me.

21/2.8 = 7.5...

And is the focal length measured to the rear flange, or the stop slot?

menelajas
8-Nov-2009, 04:20
From your picture, the diameter of the front cell (glass only) looks to be about 2.8cm, but the ferrule might be confusing me.

21/2.8 = 7.5...

And is the focal length measured to the rear flange, or the stop slot?

The rule in the picture isn't exactly in the middle of lens.

I measured from the rear flange.

Steven Tribe
8-Nov-2009, 04:58
I think the variation in engraving styles says a lot about this obejctive. The only engraving that looks like the makers engraving is the APLANAT. The shop name in capitals has all the signs of a seller's non routine attempts with poor spacing. The free hand engraving of both the french "rapide..." and the "Beyreuth" look like they were done by the same hand. So, I would guess this is a German optic were the seller has tried give the objective an international "flavour" for his opera loving clientele. It worked - this was perhaps sold to an American Wagner fan visting the Opera House?

Ole Tjugen
8-Nov-2009, 06:00
The rule in the picture isn't exactly in the middle of lens.

I measured from the rear flange.

Right - so add a half lens body length to the flange focal distance, and you end up with something like 240-250mm focal length. A 30mm entrance pupil would fit a 240mm f:8...

I see no real difference between the style of the "Aplanat" and the rest of th e engraving. Different fonts yes, but this was made at a time and place where the frontispice of a book could easily have twenty different fonts on the same page.

Hand engravings are not uncommon on lenses of that vintage, either - quite a few of mine are partly hand engraved, including lenses from Rodenstock, Meyer, Voigtländer, Steinheil, and others...

renes
5-Sep-2010, 15:32
What would you say about this engraving style and what is says about this Hess & Sattler lens? Weisbaden is in Germany.

http://a.imageshack.us/img831/210/hess.jpg

Steven Tribe
5-Sep-2010, 16:12
Looks like the same series. So they had at least one other shop - in Wiesbaden. Looks like the "extras" including town name engraving, were done locally.
Hess & Sattler sold cameras which have the Wiesbaden address on a label.

renes
6-Sep-2010, 00:06
Thanks. Is it known whose lenses they used?

renes
14-Sep-2010, 15:04
It's front cell and there is a "BAS" mark on it.

Any idea whose sign could this be?

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2918/hasse.jpg

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5677/hasse2.jpg