PDA

View Full Version : Linhof tech iv 5x4 valuation

linhoftechiv
6-Nov-2009, 12:53
Hello everyone, apologies for joining the forum and then proceeding to ask such a mercenary question...! Regardless, I am thinking of selling my large format gear off due to unfortunate money issues, and would appreciate some guidance from your good selves if possible. Listed below is the kit that I have, and I'm having a little trouble estimating it's value here in the UK as it seems there aren't that many around for sale (I've tried the usual such as ebay, etc). Anyway, on to the gear - many thanks in advance for any help, it's much appreciated

- Linhof super technika iv 5x4 in excellent condition, serial number 72865. I can't imagine there are many tech iv's around in better condition. All leatherette in tact, clean, bellows light tight of course, all movements smooth and solid, groundglass perfect, recently had a visit to linhofstudio in London (the official UK linhof importers) for rangefinder matching to a new lens (described below), and everything was checked over passing with flying colours. 150mm infinity stops and distance scale in place.

- Linhof optical viewfinder 75-360mm in excellent condition with additional 6x7 mask. (This is the viewfinder that is tan-ish in colour to match the tech iv colour)

- Schneider 150mm f5.6 mc APO lens in perfect conditon, matched to the linhof for rangefinder use (by linhof studio as mentioned above).

Bob Salomon
6-Nov-2009, 17:09
Just ask Paula at Linhof Studio.

linhoftechiv
6-Nov-2009, 17:25
Hi Bob, thanks but I have done this already. What I was hoping to get from here was a private sale price as opposed to selling to a dealer.

Juergen Sattler
6-Nov-2009, 17:42
Although hated by many, eBay might be your best bet. List the camera with a low starting price and let bidders determine the market value.

Bob Salomon
7-Nov-2009, 03:07
Hi Bob, thanks but I have done this already. What I was hoping to get from here was a private sale price as opposed to selling to a dealer.

Just ask her what it would cost you if you wanted to buy your outfit from her. That is the retail price.

Brian Ellis
7-Nov-2009, 08:19
These are not uncommon items in the LF world and you may be able to find recent sales of the same or comparable items in ebay's completed sales section. Also look on the web sites of dealers who sell used LF equipment (e.g. MidWest Photo Exchange, KEH, Lens and Repro), see if they have these or comparable items for sale and knock off about 10% - 20% since most people expect to pay an individual less than what they would pay a dealer. But FWIW (not much) -

Tech IV in excellent condition - $900- $1,000

Optical viewfinder - These things used to sell for a surprisingly high price and I haven't checked lately so this is just a pretty wild guess but maybe $200 - $250 - I'm not sure how much the mask adds to the value, if anything.

Lens - Assuming this is an APO Symmar, $300 - $400.

I may not be adding enough of a premium for the fact that yours appears to be set up perfectly for use as a rangefinder and someone who really wants to use it that way might pay a premium if you sell it as a kit. But normally you'll get more if you sell items separately than as a kit.

linhoftechiv
8-Nov-2009, 06:11
Thanks for all of the advice everyone, Juergen you may well be right with using ebay - whilst the fees are annoying, it perhaps is the best way to seek out a market value.

Brian - thanks for the estimates.

:)

venchka
8-Nov-2009, 07:55
KEH will give you a quote online to buy your gear. Compare that price against retail. Split the difference. You're in the ballpark or the criquet pitch.

IanG
8-Nov-2009, 08:03
You could always see if Teamwork or Robert White would sell your camera as a commission sale. They take a % of the final price.

In the UK that can be beneficial as the dealer only adds VAT to his commission, so a private buyer would only be paying a small amount of VAT.

Ian

Ed Richards
8-Nov-2009, 08:34
When I bought my IV, having a cammed lens was a big selling point. I think you should do better selling the camera and lens as a package. But since you are in England, I do not know how much relevance US pricing would be.

IanG
8-Nov-2009, 09:14
In general UK prices are higher than US, so many of us in the UK buy from the US as the savings can be very considerable, but that really depends on the items.

Ian

cjbroadbent
9-Nov-2009, 05:02
I owe it to Bob Salomon to make amends for knocking Linhof now and then. Here's a testimonial: I've invoiced at least two or three million dollars of work using second-hand Linhof cameras.
I did most of it with the 4x5 'Standard' no-detachable-parts monorail (sawn-off). I think it was made for schools.
I switched to Linhof from the itsy-bitsy Sinar in 1979 to reduce stress and have got through 10 Linhofs: The 220 'Concept Camera', the 6x17 Technorama, two 4x5 'Standard' monorails and six Technikas.
The most beautiful was the black 5x7 Technica - a Rolls-Royce, the last to be made. It cut a perfect figure when clients were on the set. (Product managers get alarmed by my Gandolfi.)
The most pleasant to use, the old 5x7 Technica IV with the simple drop bed and rise wheel. The jack rise in later cameras was awkward, to say the least.
The most practical camera was the 4x5 'Standard' because nothing-hangs-out and if you saw off half the rail it fits in a small bag with the 120mm on.
Each camera had one lens - the raison-d'etre of folding cameras.
The worst (sorry Bob) was the 6x9 Technika - too small an envelope for all the gears.
The Technorama is built like a battleship but loading, advancing and cocking roll film outdoors is a real pain. The fixed-shift lens would need thrice the shift to be useful. If you have no shift, you have to shoot from the top of your van - or rent an elevator truck. Sheet film and short lenses do the job easier.
The 220 (got it for a helicopter job in '68) had the same problem as the early Super Rollex backs - too much tension and the film would split at very low temperatures. And the 95mm lens was too long.
All my Techika lenses were cammed, but in 30 years I only ever shot one job hand-held with the rangefinder. Knowing that might save you a bit when you pick up an orphaned Technika. You just mount any old cam to protect the mechanism.
I use past tense because I found a good home for each of them as my assistants went out into the world. I'm down to Gandolfi now.