PDA

View Full Version : Lens selection help

xichlo
6-Nov-2009, 09:29
Hello,
I have a Linhof Technika III type 4. I am really a portrait guy, hardly shoot landscape.
I am currley have a old Linhof 138mm f3.8 lens with minimum movement or not at all.

I really want to have a potrait lens with maximum movement for selective focus.

1/ I am thinking of the Schneider/Rodenstock 150mm or 210mm. Which one has the most movement between the two.

2. It's very hard to find the copal #1 for Technika III, can I make one myself?

Thank you.
Anh

Peter K
6-Nov-2009, 10:05
I have a Linhof Technika III type 4. I am really a portrait guy, hardly shoot landscape.I am currley have a old Linhof 138mm f3.8 lens with minimum movement or not at all.
If your lens is a Xenar 135mm f/3.8 it's a lens for the "Standard-Press", a press-camera with a fixed back and image-circle isn't an issue with press photography.

I really want to have a potrait lens with maximum movement for selective focus.

1/ I am thinking of the Schneider/Rodenstock 150mm or 210mm. Which one has the most movement between the two.
Both Schneider's Symmar (convertible) and Rodenstock's older Sironar have more or less the same image-circle. In both cases the movement of your T III is the limiting factor not the lenses' image-circle.

2. It's very hard to find the copal #1 for Technika III, can I make one myself?
You can look for a new or used Copal #1 and exchange it yourself with the Compur CIX . But the f-stop scale isn't exchangable. So why not a CLA for your old shutter? As you can see here (http://lensn2shutter.com/shutters.html) it's better to clean a Compur as to exchange it with a Copal.

Peter

xichlo
6-Nov-2009, 12:16
Peter,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
I didn't make myself very clear about the copol#1. I am refering to the lens board copal#1. I think that the 210mm is copal#1 so the i need the lens board with the diameter for copal#1, and it's hard to find the lens board for Technika III. Do you have any advise on the lens board to mount the 210mm?
Thanks
Anh

If your lens is a Xenar 135mm f/3.8 it's a lens for the "Standard-Press", a press-camera with a fixed back and image-circle isn't an issue with press photography.

Both Schneider's Symmar (convertible) and Rodenstock's older Sironar have more or less the same image-circle. In both cases the movement of your T III is the limiting factor not the lenses' image-circle.

You can look for a new or used Copal #1 and exchange it yourself with the Compur CIX . But the f-stop scale isn't exchangable. So why not a CLA for your old shutter? As you can see here (http://lensn2shutter.com/shutters.html) it's better to clean a Compur as to exchange it with a Copal.

Peter

Peter K
6-Nov-2009, 13:17
Lensboards for the T III arent't aviable from Linhof. But at S.K. Grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm).

Peter

Tri Tran
8-Nov-2009, 23:51
Hi Xichlo,
Looks like you better off with the speed graphic and a petval lens for what you want to do and remember to chose the lens carefully or perhaps a DD 8x10. Good luck.

xichlo
13-Nov-2009, 13:12
Peter, thank you very much for your help. I just ordered a custom board from S.K.Grimes.

@anh Tri: thank you, I should have known better when I bought the Linhof. Oh well, a learning experience. :).