PDA

View Full Version : As I continue to learn...

RmFrase
6-Nov-2009, 07:12
As I continue to learn how to use the 4x5, and Sekinic L-725DR Digitalmaster spot meter, I need to learn to take it even slower to mentally critique the image on the focusing screen to see all of the image flaws before taking the shot. So, I continue to practice.

Here are some of my recent shots - just out practicing.

Michael Wainfeld
6-Nov-2009, 07:45
Its also been a very big jump for me-going from 35mm SLR to 4X5. While I am getting my workflow down as far as metering, film handling, focusing cloth-loupe-sunglasses-reading glasses :), I find my biggest challenge now is composing and camera position. I was out yesterday at some dunes near my house (Jones Beach, LI, West End 2), and found it difficult to set up the camera to get the image I wanted on the ground glass. I was OK with the movements, but the actual positioning of the camera took a while. I was following some advice from one of the Fred Picker newsletters of always moving the camera forward to improve the composition, It seemed to work. AA still has nuttin to worry about from me! :)

Robert Hughes
6-Nov-2009, 08:09
Congratulations on your successful early shots - the first of many! Bring 'em on!

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Nov-2009, 09:25
Michael,

Not sure if you use a composing card but many, many people find these useful. The card is bascially a piece of cardboard, mount board, plactic, etc. that has a cut out hole in the dimension of your film. By holding it up to looking through it, you can line up your shot, determine the best camera and tripod position, helps determine lens choice and it greatly helps with compositon (lets you look at relationships of compostional elements, etc.).

I keep a few of them in my bag made of black plastic, some are for 4X5 and others for 5X7. Whenever I see an image that seems interesting, I get my card and start playing around with the compostion until things seem about right. It also helps me determine if I even want to take the image.

Just an idea if you are not yet using one or familiar with them.