PDA

View Full Version : Manual for Gandolfi 10x8

seananton
6-Nov-2009, 05:41
I have just bought a Gandolfi 10x8, dating from the 1950s.
I am a little puzzled by the arrangements for supporting the
front standard.

I haven't received the camera yet, but according
to the photographs there seems to be a rather complicated
piece of brass work set to accommodate the front panel
supports.

If anyone knows of a source for a Gandolfi
manual, either an original or a photocopy, which could
explain what is going on there, I would be happy to know of it.

I intend to make a wet collodion back in place of the
standard spring back once I have the camera restored.

Seán

Ole Tjugen
6-Nov-2009, 06:23
It's not really complicated at all. Just that there are two separate locations for placing the front standard, with the same sliding lock covering both...

numnutz
6-Nov-2009, 06:47
Assuming it has the same arrangement as the Gandolfi traditional 5x4, there are two places to place the front standard and lock it down. - I have always assumed that it enables you to use the back extension to use its movements thus keeping the bellows extension the same.

And so you focus normally using the farthest standard, realize you need to use movements, so you replace the front standard into the rear position and extend the back outwards thus keeping focus / image size the same, then use the rear movements as necessary.

This is only a guess having never actually attempted it... :cool:

nn :)

cjbroadbent
6-Nov-2009, 07:18
Ole' says the right thing. Setting the front standard in the foreword slot give a bit more stretch. I use the rear slot to get a wider and therefor stronger base for a heavy lens.

Ole Tjugen
6-Nov-2009, 07:27
I've used both slots with mine - both the 7x5" and the 10x8". Rear slot for short and/or heavy lenses, front slot for long lenses. I've used everything from 72mm to 500mm on the 7x5", so far only 121mm to 500mm on the 10x8"...