PDA

View Full Version : Bellows length for 11x14 Studio Deardorff

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
5-Nov-2009, 16:58
Could someone who owns an 11x14 Studio Deardorff kindly measure the length of the camera's main and supplementary bellows for me?

I am refurbishing an 11x14 Studio Deardorff, and will be having new bellows made for it. I doubt that the bellows currently on the camera are original, and the main unit (the one screwed into the rear standard) seems shorter than I think it should be. So before I order a new one made for me I would like to know the fully extended length and number of folds of both the main and supplementary bellows units on your S11.

Of course, if someone has a new bellows for sale, let me know! Alternatively, if you want a bellows unit made for your camera, Western Bellows will give a discount for 2 or more.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
6-Nov-2009, 12:03
Anybody? Perhaps someone has a brochure with this data?

Michael Jones
6-Nov-2009, 12:09
According to Ken Hough's web site:

Maximum Length 72 inches with all 3 sets of bellows.

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/s11/s11.html

Good luck.

Mike

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
6-Nov-2009, 12:11
Thanks! Unfortunately the information I need is not the total length, but those of of the individual bellows; the main bellows are (I think) longer than the supplementary ones. I have emailed Ken but so far no response.

Louis Pacilla
6-Nov-2009, 12:21
Hi

Hey Jason. How about the fellow in Chicago that has his 11x14 dorff studio rig on eBay for months now.He seems to have the extra set w/ his camera. Maybe he can provide the info
Just a thought.One which you may have tried @ this point.

Peace
Louis P

Louis Pacilla
6-Nov-2009, 12:24
Hi

Could be a 8x10 that he has for sale. Sorry
Peace
Louis P.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
6-Nov-2009, 12:25
Good idea, I will try him. Thanks.

RichardRitter
7-Nov-2009, 06:37
They are both the same length.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
7-Nov-2009, 10:13
Thank you Richard. From what I have learned so far, the standard bellows length was about 32". Does anyone have a copy of the Deardorff catalog with this information? I have seen the information about camera stands at Camera Eccentric, but can't find the pages on the studio cameras.

RichardRitter
7-Nov-2009, 11:11
Rack the rails all the way out and measure from the front to the rear standard. This style of Deardorf camera came with different length rails. Some had one moving rail, some had two focusing rails and some had a third.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
7-Nov-2009, 12:03
Mine has two moving focusing rails with a total length of 72". It is pretty impressive and surprisingly solid when racked all the way out.

As an aside, I found my cat asleep inside it last night. What a great place for cat fur...

Dominique Cesari
7-Nov-2009, 12:34
I had a look to a Deardorff catalog. What you describe looks more to the "Commercial series 11x14" rather than to the "studio model" (8x10 only, 23" single bellow)
For the 11x14 Commercial series, that catalog states a total extension of 75" (instead of 72") with three bellows, and 16x16" square. Unfortunately, the separate length of each bellow isn't mentionned.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
7-Nov-2009, 12:37
Thank you Dominique, very helpful, and you are correct, this is the "Commercial 11x14".

Jon Wilson
23-Jan-2010, 20:29
Jason, if you are still needing the measurements for the bellows, I just purchased an 11x14 Studio Deardorff today. It has 2 of the bellow sections in addition to lots of extra goodies! :) It truly is large, but fits on my Afga studio stand which Jim Galli was kind enough to sell to me this past September.

As a side note, according to the information that came with this 11x14 Studio Deardorff, Jack Deardorff had advised one of the previous owners of this camera that US Carriers during WWII had 2 of these beasts on each of them. Mine apparently use to belong to the US Navy and it was sold at a government auction in the 1970's for $80.77. That auction price apparently included the considerable goodies which came with it.

Jon

Jon Wilson
23-Jan-2010, 20:51
Jason, here is picture of the type of 11x14 studio camera I purchased and according to this link, the individual bellow sections were 25" sections.
http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/s11/S11_STAND_1.jpg

Jon

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
23-Jan-2010, 21:28
Thank you Jon, and congratulations on finding the camera! Did you get it in Boise?

I have yet to have my bellows made, but will do so sometime this spring. I am looking forward to using my camera without the black dropcloth over it. Anyhow, it is an amazing camera, particularly when extended out to 72"!

If you need one, Barry Cochran (Attrivida on eBay) has 8x8 to 6x6 lensboard adapters, and a few little peices which may help.

As an aside, I may be in Boise in March or April for a conference, I will let you know if I come.

Jon Wilson
23-Jan-2010, 22:22
Hi Jason,

Yes, I did find it in Boise. I do have few 8x8 lensboards which I got from Jim G., but I appreciate the info on Barry. I have gotten some things from him before.

Definitely let me know if you are able to make it to Boise. It would be great to get together.

Jon

Lynn Jones
27-Jan-2010, 11:41
Hi Jason,

By formula, a normal focal length lens for 11x14 would be about 18" or about 460mm.

There are some good used 500mm f7.0 Caltars floating around at good prices and Fujinon AS 360 will just barely cover that film size.

Lynn

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
27-Jan-2010, 16:00
Thanks Lynn, (un)fortunately I have many lenses for the camera. Lenses are one of the few things I don't lack!