PDA

View Full Version : Hello, LF newbie from Fort Myers, FL

Lex Boegen
5-Nov-2009, 16:47
Hello all! I have "lurked" here for a while now, but just a few days ago bought my first 4x5 view camera. It's a Calumet CC-400 that I am reasonably sure was made in 1973. I bought it in very clean condition from a professional photographer that used it in her studio.

I have been largely dormant in photography for about 25 years now, but recently the "bug" bit me again. In the mid-seventies to mid-eighties I shot lots of 35mm and 120 roll film, and did my own black and white processing. I still have all my old equipment. I couldn't bear to get rid of it and had assumed that home processing was extinct in the digital age until I stumbled across B&H's web site one day and discovered all my old friends are still available--D-76, HC-110, etc. I literally wept when I found that. I've tried digital, but it just isn't the same rush as pulling your own work from the wash and holding it up to light for the first time.

I don't really have space for a full darkroom now, but I plan on developing my own film and then scanning it with my Epson V-750 scanner. I've used that on some of my old 35mm slides and been impressed with the results.

Be prepared for some "slap the forehead" questions from me as I get my bearings on this new format. I've been rooting around my bookshelf and dusting off some old books--the Ansel Adams series, etc. and also added "Using the view camera" by Steve Simmons, so I hope that (and reading the articles and postings here) will shorten my learning curve. I have a 10-sheet box of Fuji Velvia 100 on order, so I can hardly wait to take my first LF picture.

Vick Vickery
5-Nov-2009, 19:51
Welcome to group therepy! :) The Calumet 400 is a fine old workhorse with a good reputation and easy to find lensboards. Shoot lots and have fun!

Lex Boegen
6-Nov-2009, 11:04
Thanks Vick. I've been spending hours searching the forum posts for processing 4x5 film in Cibachrome 8x10 print drums, and it looks like the procedure works. I was recently given a Beseler 23CII enlarger, along with a Cibachrome roller and two drums, plus misc. trays, etc. I don't have the space for a full darkroom, but I think that the 8x10 drum will fit in my changing bag and after it's loaded, I can work in daylight. I can hardly wait to run some film through my camera and see what it produces. Like I told the woman that I bought it from, I feel as excited as a little kid on Christmas morning.