PDA

View Full Version : Condenser part missing? help needed.

Brunoxyz
5-Nov-2009, 13:51
Hello, I recently bought an Omega DII enlarger that looks like this http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/203360/omega_d2_coldlite400.jpg

except it does not have that custom made filter holder.

My problem is, that it also came with an Omega D2 head and two large condenser lenses.

I heard that cold light lies softer looking prints (is it true?) so I wanted to get the condenser working just in case.

I removed the aristo cold light that came with it. I placed one condenser lens belly up on the bottom of the aluminum ring, but the problem is when I try to install the upper lens, there is no way to do it, nothing seems to hold it in place and I dont think the lenses should touch each other. so I am guessing I am missing a part? there is no way I could find anything about it on the internet after days searching.

sorry for the long explanation.. and thank you very much in advance.

BrianShaw
5-Nov-2009, 13:57
It has been a long time since I looked at my D2 (which has lived comfortably in storage since about 1982), but I seem to recall that there was a corrugated aluminium collar (a separate piece from the condensor housing) that held the two condensor lenses apart.

Brunoxyz
5-Nov-2009, 14:26
thanks for that, at least now I know there's something missing.

Could I just make a custom separator or the distance between the lenses needs to be super exact?

Also, one of the lenses has a small scratch near the center, if I put that one on top, will it still affect the image?

thanks!

BrianShaw
5-Nov-2009, 14:32
I suspect you can craft a replacement separator. Not sure about the exact distance issue, though. I tried to get to my enlarger, but no chance of that right now. I can see it but access will require moving more stuff than I'm able to at the moment. I seem to recall that the top of the upper condensor was "just below" the notches in the housing. How far below, I can't exactly say.

Incidentally, one of mine has a scratch too... right near the center. Like you I suspect that keeping it as far as possible from the film plane is the best idea.

BrianShaw
5-Nov-2009, 14:34
Oh, BTW... I assume you are talking about the 4x5 condensor set. Did you know that there are two others... one for MF and another set for 35mm? The 4x5 condensor set is the full width of the condesor housing; the others are smaller -- perhaps masked; perhaps different focal lengths, I don't know for sure since I have never owned the others.

BrianShaw
5-Nov-2009, 14:37
Here's a good info source. I forgot about this site until just now:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

Heroique
5-Nov-2009, 14:48
[...] I seem to recall that the top of the upper condensor was "just below" the notches in the housing. How far below, I can't exactly say.

I just looked inside my D2v's condensor housing. (I'm sure it's identical to your housing in the photo, which holds the standard 6.5" lenses for 4x5 work.)

Looks like the flat top of the upper-most condensor is approx. 9 mm (or close to 1 cm) below the bottom edge of the notches. This is with the spacer in place.

If you improvise a corrugated spacer, please share the details! That would be fun to hear about. ;)

BrianShaw
5-Nov-2009, 14:55
Here's the other (more expensive) option, a DV conversion kit:

http://cgi.express.ebay.com/Omega-DV-Conversion-Kit-for-D-II-D2-D3-Enlargers_W0QQitemZ350142591303QQihZ022QQcategoryZ29985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As always, I have no dog in this fight... don't know the seller, bla bla bla. I'm just considering this as a future option... if I can ever get the enlarger past all of the junk in the garage and into a darkroom. Oh, and while I'm at it... a little more spare time would be nice too! :)

Heroique
5-Nov-2009, 15:11
BTW, what’s the focal length of that lens?

Typically, you’d want a 135mm or 150mm lens for 4x5 work.

And you’ll want to mount the lens on a lens cone – I think I see a flat lens board in the photo.
— 2.75” cone for 135mm
— 4.5” cone for 150mm

aduncanson
5-Nov-2009, 15:34
When people say that prints from cold light or diffusion sources are softer they mean that they are less contrasty, not less sharp. People using diffusion sources typically develop a little more to achieve the same print contrast. So they benefit from reduced visibility of scratches and dust but presumably suffer from the larger grain size caused by the greater development.

Brunoxyz
5-Nov-2009, 19:16
hmm, a conversion kit sound like too much for now, I guess I can live with the cold light if I can get more contrast by developing a bit more (thanks for clarifying that). Or I might try to build the corrugated aluminum ring.

about the lens cone, I am using the flat one, which I think corresponds to 50mm lenses, which is what I have.. but now I am wondering if the condenser lenses I have ( ~6½") are good for 35mm film prints.

the link that brian provided says 6½" Double Condenser set for 135-150mm lenses :( so I guess I cannot use those condensers anyway.

seabird
6-Nov-2009, 00:33
I have the D2V and can confirm that what Brian has said in his various posts is correct.

It sounds like you are missing the corrugated ring that sits inside the silver tubular housing and separates the two condensors that are always used. A third, removable, condensor fits into the "box" with the hinged lid - as shown in the conversion kit link (hence the name D2V for Variable). The third condensor sits at various heights inside that box for lenses between 50mm and 135mm and is removed altogether for 150mm and longer lenses. The box also makes a great filter drawer and I place my multigrade filters in there as well :-).

I use my 50 & 80mm lenses on the flat panel but you will need a cone to focus 135 & 150mm lenses.

A good source of information and spare parts for Omega enlargers is Harry Taylor at www.classic-enlargers.com. I have no affiliation but have happily bought from him in the past. His site includes a useful forum where you can obtain advice also.

I can post or email you some some digi-snaps if that would be of assistance.

Hope this helps.

ic-racer
6-Nov-2009, 06:26
? there is no way I could find anything about it on the internet after days searching.

Here is the Manual in PDF.http://www.darkroompro.com/pdf/enlargers/omega_d2.pdf

That cold-light will minimize the effects of dust that may settle on your negatives.

As others have pointed out, you need to acquire the corregated metal that separates the two condenser elements.

Good luck printing!

ic-racer
6-Nov-2009, 06:31
hmm, a conversion kit sound like too much for now, I guess I can live with the cold light if I can get more contrast by developing a bit more (thanks for clarifying that). Or I might try to build the corrugated aluminum ring.

about the lens cone, I am using the flat one, which I think corresponds to 50mm lenses, which is what I have.. but now I am wondering if the condenser lenses I have ( ~6½") are good for 35mm film prints.

the link that brian provided says 6½" Double Condenser set for 135-150mm lenses :( so I guess I cannot use those condensers anyway.

Your 6" condensers are good for all formats from minox to 4x5 as long as you have the third 'adjustable' condenser. Without the third condenser, it will be setup for the 150mm lens only. (Assuming you have the variable condenser head).

Brunoxyz
6-Nov-2009, 09:19
Thank you ic-racer and seabird, that manual is for the D2 though, mine is the older DII... it's confusing but thats what I found reading. The instructions should be very similar though.

So if I find a 150mm lens and mount it on the right lens cone I should be able to print standard 35mm prints with the 6.5" condensers right?

also (sorry to ask so much :D ) where can I place multi-contrast filters (to increase contrast) without having a filter drawer....

can I place them between the enlarging lens and the paper? or perhaps right above the film? I know I'm improvising too much here, but I'm curious. I really cannot afford a variable condenser kit now. I was thinking about creating something like the image I posted before:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/203360/omega_d2_coldlite400.jpg

Jon Shiu
6-Nov-2009, 09:47
For VC filters, you can either get a filter holder that clamps onto the lens, or a bracket that attaches to the lens cone.

Jon

BrianShaw
6-Nov-2009, 09:47
Thank you ic-racer and seabird, that manual is for the D2 though, mine is the older DII... it's confusing but thats what I found reading. The instructions should be very similar though.

So if I find a 150mm lens and mount it on the right lens cone I should be able to print standard 35mm prints with the 6.5" condensers right?

The instructions for the condensor housing (page 2, steps a - d) should be identical for even the oldest of the Omega D-2 (II) enlargers.

If you would like, send me a e-mail and I'll send you a PDF of the Omega service manual that I picked up from someplace on the web.

The lens cones seems to show up on ebay often. It shouldn't be difficult or too expensive to find one. Either 135 or 150 mm lens should work fine with the 6.5 condensors. I'm not certain, but I think you might need the correct cone to print with a cold head too... hopefully someone with real knowledge will address that issue.

ic-racer
6-Nov-2009, 10:04
For VC filters, you can either get a filter holder that clamps onto the lens, or a bracket that attaches to the lens cone.

Jon

Or just set them on top of the condenser.

Brunoxyz
6-Nov-2009, 10:05
Hey brian, I'm not sure how to drop you an email from here but if you can send the pdf to brunoxyz @ gmail dot com that would be awesome.

thanks Jon, I have a bracket that came with the enlarger with a dirty filter that is used to make softer prints, and since it is in such bad conditions I might just get rid of the filter and place the VC filters there, I wasn't sure it was a good Idea to place them there... good to know it can be done.

largeformat apt
6-Nov-2009, 13:02
G'day,
I have a D2 which I converted to cold light, the best thing I ever did. Give it a go. Shorter exposure times and great looking prints. Softer means a more diffused light thats all. Have a look at the lamp. Check the Aristo web site. If it is an old lamp you will need to use a 40Y filter (I think its a W45 where the new is W54). along with your multigrade filters. You don't have to if you use graded paper.
Hope this helps
Pat

Brunoxyz
6-Nov-2009, 13:49
Thanks, I thought that the difference would be greater between the cold light and the condensed one, that's why wanted to install the extra condensers and head, plus that is what I am using at school, so I just wanted to set up a similar enlarger. I think I have a new aristo, it looks rather modern,, I certainly want to give it a try.. I'm still in the process of sealing the bathroom though :) ...

Jon Shiu
6-Nov-2009, 14:20
Or just set them on top of the condenser.

With the DII without filter door there is not a way to access the top of condenser without taking the condenser can off.

Jon

Darren Kruger
6-Nov-2009, 14:39
another option is just to keep an eye out for another whole enlarger. An Omega D (II?) with a variable condenser was advertised earlier today on craigslist in the SF bay area for $75. It would get you your condenser and lots of spare parts.

-Darren

ic-racer
6-Nov-2009, 15:37
With the DII without filter door there is not a way to access the top of condenser without taking the condenser can off.

Jon

Oh yes he indicated II instead of D2.

Heroique
6-Nov-2009, 17:01
Sometimes, the small Omega parts are easy to forget! You might need them, too.

Below are typical Omega discs that allow you attach lenses to boards/cones. That is, you mount your lens to the disc, then mount the lens/disc combo to the bottom of your cone. (As for flat boards I’ve seen, some take a disc, others don't need one.)

The first photo shows a disc that would hold your lens w/ the lens’ retaining ring.

The second photo is a similar disc w/ a threaded ring already attached. This way, you can simply screw-out or screw-in your lens. Some people find this style more convenient. (Remember, the holes & threads would be for specific mounts – for example, the common 39mm mount.)

In your original photo, your flat board may already have a disc you can use for cones. Or maybe a disc came with your D-II purchase. If you have a threaded disc (accepting your 50mm lens), it may be convenient to get additional enlarging lenses w/ the same mount.