PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Vario RFH Manual?

rdenney
4-Nov-2009, 21:07
I bought a Sinar Vario roll film holder a little while back and now I'm trying to get used to it enough to be comfortable with it.

The inside cover of the back has diagrams showing the loading sequence, but I'm confused on a couple of points:

1. Where does one put the Start arrows? The diagram seems to indicate at the roller at the opposite end from the holder, but this seems like a lot of paper being pulled out off the roll.

2. Is the film capsule that nestles into the holder supposed to be approximately light tight? If so, that might address the first issue.

If anyone has a manual, you know what I need.

It looks slick, by the way. There are no rollers upstream from the image frame, so no chance of the film taking a set causing a ripple that will upset film flatness. But I think I will make and paste little tables equating frame numbers with the centimeters left, which is how the holder tells that story. 220 is also on my agenda as the next big experiment.

I actually have the service manual, but have been unable to find the user instructions.

Rick "appreciative" Denney

John Schneider
4-Nov-2009, 23:12
I have the manual for a Sinar Panorama; not sure if that will help you though.

Oren Grad
5-Nov-2009, 08:23
John, I have a vague recollection that the manual I had with the Panorama covers all of the models including the Vario - you might check me on that.

Sevo
5-Nov-2009, 08:47
1. Where does one put the Start arrows? The diagram seems to indicate at the roller at the opposite end from the holder, but this seems like a lot of paper being pulled out off the roll.

2. Is the film capsule that nestles into the holder supposed to be approximately light tight? If so, that might address the first issue.

Right. The film is preloaded into that cartridge, which is at least as light tight as a 135 cartridge (given that light does not travel up backing paper, while it travels up film), so that pulling the backing paper to within an inch or two of the film start is safe there - you can even load the cartridges in bright daylight (not that useful as it might seem, as unloading still is as unprotected as on any other camera).

It looks slick, by the way. There are no rollers upstream from the image frame, so no chance of the film taking a set causing a ripple that will upset film flatness.

It has the best film planarity on any 120 holder I own. But watch out that the felt lips of the cartridge are clean - that is the one weak point of it, any dirt that collects there may scratch your film.

rdenney
5-Nov-2009, 09:51
Right. The film is preloaded into that cartridge, which is at least as light tight as a 135 cartridge (given that light does not travel up backing paper, while it travels up film), so that pulling the backing paper to within an inch or two of the film start is safe there - you can even load the cartridges in bright daylight (not that useful as it might seem, as unloading still is as unprotected as on any other camera).

Thanks for the information. How do you see where the start arrows are? The paper leader is inside-out at that point.

I'll check those felt light traps in the cartridge.

Rick "wishing experimentation didn't require mailorder processing" Denney