PDA

View Full Version : Bosscrean Ground Glass looks fogged ???

Miguel Coquis
4-Nov-2009, 11:08
Working with this ground glass that have a good reputation for being exceptionally clear,
after a few days working with I found a kind of fog formed in between glasses. This does not help for a clear view.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.

Drew Wiley
4-Nov-2009, 13:30
One reason why I gave up on 2-piece viewing screens completely. Condensation
between the elements is too slow to clear up.

Don Hutton
4-Nov-2009, 14:03
You can't get condensation in between the elements of a Boss screen - they have a sheet of wax between two sheets of glass - there' no "space" in between the elements of the screen - if the screen is exposed to a lot of heat, the wax can melt and reset with a frosted appearance, which appears to be what the OP is experiencing. Time for a new screen.

N Dhananjay
4-Nov-2009, 19:44
If I remember correctly, extreme heat and cold were bad for the Bosscreen because the wax would crystallize. Or something like that. Cheers, DJ

percepts
4-Nov-2009, 20:23
When you install a bosscreen its very important that that there is no uneven presssure on the glass from over tightening whatever is holding it down in your camera back. So if it rests on four points it should do so evenly and not on 3 points. Otherwise when you tighten it down the glass will flex under pressure and that will affect the wax layer between.
Take the glass off and warm it gently. Not hot enough to melt wax but warm enough to soften wax. Then put a very heavy even weight on it and let it cool to normal temp.
If the fogginess disappears then you know that was the problem and take greter care when putting it back onto camera.

Miguel Coquis
6-Nov-2009, 06:55
Thanks for your replays, I' gonna try to recover screen transparency or... change for another GG !

David Karp
6-Nov-2009, 12:00
Don't leave your Bosscreen in the car when the sun is out. It will get too hot. My Bosscreen for my Cambo cameras was my favorite GG. So easy to focus.