PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Chamonix 4x5 and Nikkor-SW 120 F8 Question

madmikezh
3-Nov-2009, 03:04
Hello,

I have recently purchased a new Chamonix 4x5 Camera. On the search for lenses I discovered a mint Nikkor-SW 120mm F8 that I could buy today. My question is the following: Will the Lens fit my Camera physically? I heard that certain lenses may not fit due to a very large back-element !?

PS: I somebody has a picture of this elsn mounted, iI would be happy to see it ; )

best regards,

Michael

kev curry
3-Nov-2009, 03:19
It should fit with no problem, heres the specs... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36877-GREY/Nikon_1346_Wide_Angle_120mm_f_8.html#specifications

The lens is mounted in a copal 0 shutter and the filter size is 77mm. Both the front and rear elements take 80mm ''slip on'' caps. You have approx 84mm to play with on the front standard of the Chamonix.

madmikezh
3-Nov-2009, 03:28
Thanks Kev !

Is the front diameter of the lens (77mm) the same as the rear-element diameter ? That's the one i'm really worried about...

best regards,

Michael

kev curry
3-Nov-2009, 03:41
Just going by the specs in the link above both elements require the same slip on cap size of 80mm, so thats obviously the outer diameter of both elements. I just measured the opening in my Chamonix and its approx 84mm so you've got room to spare.

madmikezh
3-Nov-2009, 04:57
Thanks a lot ! Finally I will be able to ruin my first photos with my 4x5 ; )

best regards,

Michael

James E Galvin
3-Nov-2009, 08:20
Of course that lens is a bit overkill for 4X5, I use one on 8X10. There are smaller and lighter lenses for 4X5. But the Nikkor will work on 4X5, and give you more movements than you could possibly use!

Jan Pedersen
3-Nov-2009, 08:33
Of course that lens is a bit overkill for 4X5, I use one on 8X10. There are smaller and lighter lenses for 4X5. But the Nikkor will work on 4X5, and give you more movements than you could possibly use!

Also called an investment for the future larger format camera ;)

Ed Richards
3-Nov-2009, 08:41
While the Nikon may have more movements than you will use, everything else in the 120mm range has little movement at all, so it is the best compromise if you want movements over weight. Great for shooting buildings - does not look "wide" but has unlimited shift.

Gem Singer
3-Nov-2009, 09:23
Fred Picker recommended and taught a two lens kit for 4X5, a 120SW and a 210W.

He claimed that those two focal lengths would cover 95% of the subjects one will encounter with a 4X5 camera.

I agree with his conclusion. However, I like the combination of a Nikkor 120SW and a Nikkor 180W for 4X5, even better.

I use the combination of a Nikkor 120SW and a Fuji 250CM-W for 5X7.

Although I have lenses with shorter and longer focal lengths, I rarely find the need to use them.

Drew Wiley
3-Nov-2009, 09:59
A more relevant question is whether or not the front standard of the camera, and the
bed itself, will support that kind of weght and bulk without the risk of vibration. With even my Ebony 4x5 the only way I can use a 90SW is to use base tilts to bring the front and back standards closer to the center of gravity. Add a center filter and the problem is accentuated. With the 120 SA I always used the Sinar. With these little
filed cameras, I use a 125 Fuji W instead, which is just a fraction of the weight.

Gem Singer
3-Nov-2009, 10:35
The front standard of the Chamonix 4X5 camera should easily be capable of supporting a Nikkor f8 120SW.

The lens is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter. Weighs a little over 600 gms.

I have used that lens on a Tachihara 4X5, with Linhof Tech-type lens boards.

Never had a problem with weight.

madmikezh
3-Nov-2009, 11:29
Thank you all for your insights !

I have bought the lens a few hours ago and picked it up already. It looks like new, beatiful really : ) Couldn't be more happy. The weight is something to think about though, I would like to hear your thoughts on that..

The rear lens element just about fits the chamonix front standard, alltough I will have to bend the universal bellows a little to get it in all the way : ) I bought the lens on a sinar lensboard, I will take it to a professional tomorrow to have it mounted on my chamonix carbon lensboard..

Ah, another good thing: I can use my 77mm polarizer and red filter again, which I bought for my digital toy ; )

best regards,

Mike

BarryS
3-Nov-2009, 11:46
I occasionally use the 120 Nikkor-SW on my Chamonix and it's usable, but I dislike any heavy lens on the front of the Chamonix because of the balance issues. You just have to be more careful when you loosen the front standard for rise of tilt because big lenses want to flop all over the place. Still, the coverage is incredible on 4x5, so it does come in handy.

shadowleaves
3-Nov-2009, 18:43
I occasionally use the 120 Nikkor-SW on my Chamonix and it's usable, but I dislike any heavy lens on the front of the Chamonix because of the balance issues. You just have to be more careful when you loosen the front standard for rise of tilt because big lenses want to flop all over the place. Still, the coverage is incredible on 4x5, so it does come in handy.

huge coverage sometimes means you need to use shade more often to avoid the reflection inside the bellow. 120SW seems to me an overkill for 4x5, but maybe OP needs some extra shift.

Ed Richards
3-Nov-2009, 21:24
> 120SW seems to me an overkill for 4x5

Unfortunately, no one makes a 120 sortawide.

Kirk Gittings
3-Nov-2009, 21:47
huge coverage sometimes means you need to use shade more often to avoid the reflection inside the bellow. 120SW seems to me an overkill for 4x5, but maybe OP needs some extra shift.

I've been using one for years with 4x5. It is a great lens. My favorite actually. It has tons of movement, but I like never having to worry about running out of coverage. Just use the dark slide for a shade like any other lens.

AJ Edmondson
4-Nov-2009, 06:41
I find it (120mm Nikkor SW) to be my favorite when I need a "shorter" focal length and I routinely carry only the 120 and a 180mm Apo-Symmar with my Wista SP. Probably my most used lens on Wista 8x10 despite the fact that I am not a huge wide-angle fan. There is just something about the way it "opens-up" interiors - as long as a lot of attention is paid to object placement in the foreground!

madmikezh
5-Nov-2009, 14:40
Hey Guys !

Just wanted to let you know that all worked out well ! My 210mm Nikkor is mounted on my Chamonix and it looks a treat ; ) I'll post some pictures soon.

When I first opened the shutter, I didn't see anything on the groundglass :eek: Then I realized I have to move the Front Standard back a few holes and I was able to enjoy my first groundglass experience ! And i thought my Hasselblad was sweet :rolleyes:

Thanks again folks !

Mike

brian mcweeney
5-Nov-2009, 16:31
210 or 120?

madmikezh
5-Nov-2009, 23:30
Sorry, I meant the 120mm F8. Was a little late yesterday ; )

shadowleaves
6-Nov-2009, 09:02
I find it (120mm Nikkor SW) to be my favorite when I need a "shorter" focal length and I routinely carry only the 120 and a 180mm Apo-Symmar with my Wista SP. Probably my most used lens on Wista 8x10 despite the fact that I am not a huge wide-angle fan. There is just something about the way it "opens-up" interiors - as long as a lot of attention is paid to object placement in the foreground!

I agree the 120mm focal length is very handy. I use a Fuji CM-W 125/5.6 lens on my Chamonix 045n1 and Shen-hao TFC617A. It's small, bright, very sharp, and used more often than my Nikkor SW 90/8.