PDA

View Full Version : New Graflok back on a Crown Graphic

Sean Galbraith
2-Nov-2009, 15:05
So my first LF camera is a Crown Graphic. It does not include a Graflok back, so I was thinking of installing one myself from parts I'd buy on ebay (seem to be plentiful).

http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/72/f6/c8d5_1_sbl.JPG

Has anyone here done this before? Is it straightforward, or a pain in the ass? Any mis-alignment problems likely?

Also, it appears to have the original ground glass. Any options I can look into to upgrading?

Thanks!

Bill_1856
2-Nov-2009, 15:44
Direct interchange. Nothing tricky -- unscrew one, screw on the other (they're wood screws, so don't strip the holes). Be sure that your replacement back comes with intact ground glass and Freznel screen.

Jeremy Moore
2-Nov-2009, 16:09
Watch what you're paying, the price of many of the graflok backs is equal to or more than an entire crown set-up on occasion.

Glenn Thoreson
2-Nov-2009, 20:09
Why do you want to spend that kind of money for a Graflok? They only serve one purpose - so you can use roll film holders. I'm old fashioned and set in my ways, so don't yell at me or I'll smack you with my cane. Shooting medium format on a 4X5 camera is silly, in my opinion. There are cameras made for that job that are smaller, lighter, and usually have excellent optics. You can buy one for what the Graflok costs. Your spring back in the picture will accept Grafmatics, some Polaroid holders, normal sheet film holders, etc. I have lots of Speed and Crown Graphics and the only ones I actually use the Graflok on are the 2X3 cameras. So sayeth the grouch. :D

Greg Lockrey
2-Nov-2009, 21:02
Yeah, but it is an inexpensive way to set up the camera for future panoramic format use rather than spend big bucks on a dedicated camera. :)

Sean Galbraith
2-Nov-2009, 21:03
hrm.. to be honest, I didn't think of what I'd be doing with it.. just assumed it would give me options and would be "better".

Sean Galbraith
2-Nov-2009, 21:07
With a graflock back, would the back be rotateable? Or is it limited by the camera itself?

Greg Lockrey
2-Nov-2009, 21:09
With a graflock back, would the back be rotateable? Or is it limited by the camera itself?

Nope... Whatever the the direction the camera is positioned.

Greg Lockrey
2-Nov-2009, 21:14
For the money if you really want a smaller format like a 2x3 I'd get the smaller Graphic, then you can play with different formats. If you intend to get into panoramics like a 6x17, then by all means convert your Crown. Back in the "olden days" of the '70's you could get these backs for about $90.00 when the whole camera with lenses ran about $250.00