PDA

View Full Version : What will fit a small Volute shutter?

john wilton
2-Nov-2009, 12:42
Picked up a small Volute in very nice shape thinking a Protar V might fit (it doesn't). Any suggestions on a barrel lens that might work?

The front thread is 35.5mm I.D., rear thread is 35mm I.D., front to rear distance is 27.8mm, and the mount thread is 40.4mm O.D.

Steven Tribe
2-Nov-2009, 13:07
Need to know max. speed of volute ( 1/75 or 1/150 sec? ). And the details of the protar - B & L? size number and how much smaller/larger the thread is of the cells compared with volute size "x". There were not many Volute sizes ( which means prices) so it is possible to eliminate certain sizes and find appropriate listings in camera eccentric B&L listings where the extra prices for Volute shutters are given. Are you still with me?

Steve Hamley
2-Nov-2009, 13:12
John,

Almost no telling. There were several different sizes (at least 3). I have a 5" Series III Goerz Double Anastigmat in one, a 6-1/2 Series III Goerz Double Anastigmat in another, and an 8-1/4" Series III Goerz Double Anastigmat in a slightly larger one. I have a couple more in large Volutes, and I like them.

Even if something fits the threads, there's no telling about cell spacing - remember almost nothing was standard in those days.

Possibly the aperture scale range might help identify what would fit. What is it?

Cheers, Steve

Steven Tribe
2-Nov-2009, 13:20
Yes I found 3 sizes too. But I don't think the spacing is an issue with contemporary B&L cells. There are surely a couple of tessar f6.3 2b sizes which will fit. This is a nice objective and fairly easy to get hold of.

john wilton
2-Nov-2009, 16:35
Steven, the shutter speeds run from 3 sec. to 1/150. It is marked in US stops going to 2.9 (ie f/6.3 I believe). It does suggest a 6.3 Tessar, doesn't it? I have a 4x5 B&L Tessar Ic (f/4.5) which is too big to fit. The cells for my 5x7 B&L Protar V are much too small. They could be adapted, but at prohibitive cost. Better to keep the V tiny and light.

Oh well, a nicely functioning Volute is a beautiful, silent thing. I have a 7/13/18 B&L Zeiss Anastigmat (pre-Protar Protar VIIa) mounted in an identical shutter that has permanently attached bushings to accept the cells. If it ever sisintegrates, I have a backup.

Glenn Thoreson
2-Nov-2009, 17:27
I have one with a Dagor (ca. 1894) lens in it. It fits perfectly. Is the spacing correct? That's anybody's guess. Is it original? The f/stop scale sure doesn't seem to match. Or does it? Volutes came out about 1903 if memory serves. If you can ever find out who made a 2.9 lens in those days, it would be an interesting fact to know. Let's see, if f/4 US is f/8 modern, would 2.9 US be 6.3 (6.8?) modern scale? Hmmmmmm..... maybe my Dagor did come in that shutter. Now I'm confused. :D

Steven Tribe
3-Nov-2009, 02:16
I make Uniform Scale 2.9 to be modern F6.8. I did a double conversion using F6.8 as Goerz scale 4.8. In tables, Goerz 4 is shown as Modern F6.3 and Goerz 6 is shown as Modern F7.7! I can't find a suitable speed objective in B&L listing for the Volute period - but Volutes were suppled to others. Mostly likely, like Glenn, for shuttering a small DAGOR.

Alex Tymków
3-Nov-2009, 14:07
Hi, I have a 5 1/4” ƒ6 Dallmeyer No 2 Stigmatic Ser II, in a Volute shutter. Fits a modern No 0 lens panel which is nice. The lens is a triple convertible with the three aperture scales on the shutter.

Glenn Thoreson
3-Nov-2009, 16:18
I make Uniform Scale 2.9 to be modern F6.8. I did a double conversion using F6.8 as Goerz scale 4.8. In tables, Goerz 4 is shown as Modern F6.3 and Goerz 6 is shown as Modern F7.7! I can't find a suitable speed objective in B&L listing for the Volute period - but Volutes were suppled to others. Mostly likely, like Glenn, for shuttering a small DAGOR.

Glenn Thoreson
3-Nov-2009, 16:24
AHA! Perfect! I thought that lens looked original to the shutter. 6.8 it is. It's very old and has been used to death but it still works. The fancy engraving on the shutter face is all worn off. The lens has a bazillion bubbles in the glass. To me it's a real treasure. Thanks for the info, Steven! :D