PDA

View Full Version : Another Technika V question

venchka
2-Nov-2009, 07:10
Front shift. The standard moves 1"+ (26mm) to the side with the rise lever. In the other direction it only moves 3/4". Is this normal or is something amiss on the side with reduced movement?

I just found the manual pages provided by Scott. The manual says 1" in both directions. Probably the result of misuse or abuse prior from a previous owner many moons ago. Based on my record at camera "repairs" (I can break a perfectly good camera trying to fix it), I'll leave it alone.

If there is a fool proof way to address this, I may attempt it.

Cheers!

Peter K
2-Nov-2009, 07:54
Front shift. The standard moves 1"+ (26mm) to the side with the rise lever. In the other direction it only moves 3/4". Is this normal or is something amiss on the side with reduced movement?

I just found the manual pages provided by Scott. The manual says 1" in both directions. Probably the result of misuse or abuse prior from a previous owner many moons ago. Based on my record at camera "repairs" (I can break a perfectly good camera trying to fix it), I'll leave it alone.

Wayne, there is no fool proof way to use such a camera ;)

The way the standard can be moved in both directions is limited by a small tappered screw moving in a groove. Possible in this groove is something that stops the screw too early.

The other possibility is the break - left hand handle seen from the front of the camera - is misaligned.

In both cases the standard has to dismanteled, but this can be dangerous for the bellows. Specially if the bellows is brittle. Also the spring-loaded ball and the spring for the zero-position can be lost.

So better send the camera to the service station.

Peter

venchka
2-Nov-2009, 08:01
Thanks Peter. I'll leave it alone for the time being. I'll try to make sure that my compositions don't need a lot of shift in that direction.

GPS
2-Nov-2009, 08:15

Cheers!

You know the song about Marflex, don't you...;) :)

venchka
2-Nov-2009, 08:24
I do. I'm avoiding that route if at all possible. The front standard on the Technika shifts farther than the standard on either my Speed Graphic or my Zone VI. I'm cool.

GPS
2-Nov-2009, 08:31
I do. I'm avoiding that route if at all possible. The front standard on the Technika shifts farther than the standard on either my Speed Graphic or my Zone VI. I'm cool.

I see, you like living dangerously...:)

venchka
2-Nov-2009, 08:35
No. I like living within my means. I would classify this camera as a "functional beater." I would like to keep it that way. A few years back I spent way too much money fixing cameras that weren't worth what I invested in repairs and CLAs.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Brian Ellis
2-Nov-2009, 09:34
Thanks Peter. I'll leave it alone for the time being. I'll try to make sure that my compositions don't need a lot of shift in that direction.

I never used front shift on either the Tech V or the Master Techs that I owned. I prefer to move the tripod and keep the lens and film centered rather than using front shift and moving part of the image nearer to the edges of the image circle where quality may deteriorate. Of course sometimes you may be in a space so cramped that you can't move the tripod but I don't offhand recall this ever happening.

venchka
2-Nov-2009, 10:07
Thanks Brian. I'm sure you are correct.

I had an idea to try some flat stitched images using maximum shift in both directions. Maybe not such a good idea.

Brian Ellis
2-Nov-2009, 12:23
Thanks Brian. I'm sure you are correct.

I had an idea to try some flat stitched images using maximum shift in both directions. Maybe not such a good idea.

Thanks for the thanks but I didn't mean to suggest there's anything wrong with using front shift, just that my own preference is to move the tripod when possible.

venchka
2-Nov-2009, 12:31
I knew that. Grinning. I do that as well.

It was more of an acedemic question anyway. The camera is still very functional without the 1/4" of shift in one direction.

It's all somewhat moot anyway. When using my 125mm-127mm lenses near infinity, and the bed at 90 degrees to the body, the rise lever prevents shift in the 1" to the left direction. There's a work around for that-dropping the bed one notch, tilting the lens back to vertical and cranking in a bunch of rise. These big cameras are never easy, hey? If it was easy, "every hot chick with a camera would think that she's a photographer."

venchka
7-Nov-2009, 19:53
Problem solved. The rise/fall lever was in the way. The lever needs to be in the UP position.

Lesson learned: Shorter lenses need special handling.

The more I learn, the more I like this camera.