PDA

View Full Version : Epson 9900: ink life after opening & Ink out mid-job

Tim Povlick
1-Nov-2009, 14:45
Greetings,

Two questions about Epson 9900 usage.

Once the ink is opened and used in the machine what if the life span? Epson says use within 6 months but I wonder if this is conservative?

If one is printing and an ink runs out in the middle of the job will this printer recover from this satisfactorily? I would guess it does but wanted to check the experts here.

Many Thanks,

Tim

alex from holland
1-Nov-2009, 15:15
Greetings,

Two questions about Epson 9900 usage.

Once the ink is opened and used in the machine what if the life span? Epson says use within 6 months but I wonder if this is conservative?

If one is printing and an ink runs out in the middle of the job will this printer recover from this satisfactorily? I would guess it does but wanted to check the experts here.

Many Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

I have been using epson 7000, 9000, 7600, 7800, 9800 and so on.
My ink always has been outdated because i don't make prints a lot.
I have been using ink which has been passed the dated for more than 4 or 5 years !! No porblem at all.

While printing you first get a warning ink low for a specific color. In that case you still can print several (large ) prints.
When the the ink has reached minimum level the printer stops. You can swap the cartridges during a printjob and the printer just continious printing .

alex

Tim Povlick
1-Nov-2009, 16:02
Hi Alex,

This is all very good news! Thanks very much for the response.

Best Regards,

Tim

eric black
1-Nov-2009, 17:48
Tim,

I have been using epson 7000, 9000, 7600, 7800, 9800 and so on.
My ink always has been outdated because i don't make prints a lot.
I have been using ink which has been passed the dated for more than 4 or 5 years !! No porblem at all.

While printing you first get a warning ink low for a specific color. In that case you still can print several (large ) prints.
When the the ink has reached minimum level the printer stops. You can swap the cartridges during a printjob and the printer just continious printing .

alex

Same experiences here with a 9600- I typically hang out in the room while printing and thus change the ink when the printer stops fairly quickly and have never had a noticeable problem

Tim Povlick
1-Nov-2009, 19:07
Same experiences here with a 9600- I typically hang out in the room while printing and thus change the ink when the printer stops fairly quickly and have never had a noticeable problem

Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for your valued reply.
I was hoping the printer would use up all ink in a cartridge mid-print otherwise using all the ink would be very difficult. To expensive to waste a drop.

My Best Regards,

Tim

alex from holland
2-Nov-2009, 11:51
Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for your valued reply.
I was hoping the printer would use up all ink in a cartridge mid-print otherwise using all the ink would be very difficult. To expensive to waste a drop.

My Best Regards,

Tim

Tim,

you wil be surprised how many ink is left in the cartridges while the printers says it's empty :mad:
I estimate that you need 5 "empty" cartridges to refill one as "new"

alex