PDA

View Full Version : Specs on Fujinon 600A and Fujinon 300SW

Richard K.
1-Nov-2009, 14:22
I am looking for specs (IC, front and rear barrel diameter, weight etc.) for the Fujinon 600A and 300SW lenses. I realize the 300SW may only be a figment of our image-anation :eek: since I don't think anyone has actually seen one! :) I'd be very grateful for this information or a URL pointer to it. Thanks all...

For those (Tracy?) that have used both the 600A and 600C, how do they compare in sharpness/coverage?

Phil Hudson
1-Nov-2009, 14:51
I don't have mine handy but the 600-A takes 95mm filters and IIRC the front and rear caps are interchangeable, so figure on approx 100mm barrel diameter. It's not very heavy for its size. Image circle is stated at 840mm (not sure what aperture this is given for). It covers 20x24 with lots of room and is very sharp as you would expect from a modern lens. Mine is single coated. Hope this helps.

Richard K.
1-Nov-2009, 15:56
I don't have mine handy but the 600-A takes 95mm filters and IIRC the front and rear caps are interchangeable, so figure on approx 100mm barrel diameter. It's not very heavy for its size. Image circle is stated at 840mm (not sure what aperture this is given for). It covers 20x24 with lots of room and is very sharp as you would expect from a modern lens. Mine is single coated. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Phil. This helps a lot! It would help me even more if you would sell it to me :D

It's interesting that this lens covers almost as much as the Fine Art 550 XXL but is smaller, lighter and possibly cheaper. Would one lose anything by using this as opposed to the 550 XXL? Not that I have a line on one or anything!

John Schneider
1-Nov-2009, 22:18
See here:
http://www.willwilson.com/byfl.htm

600A's were only made single coated, as far as I know. I sold mine when I got a good deal on a 24" RD Apo Artar in a Copal 3, as that has enough coverage for all but the largest ULF formats. They (the 600A) only come up for sale once every 2 years or so, but usually sell around $2500, which is a killer deal IMO. I'm guessing the mass/size detract from the selling price.

Phil Hudson
2-Nov-2009, 02:10
Hi Richard,

my Fujinon-A 600/11 weighs 4lb 1 3/4 oz (1870g) which is a bit more than I remembered. Not sure how this compares to the 550XXL but the 95mm filter size is handy. I guess in theory the 550XXL has better flare resistance and all the other trappings of Multicoating but I'm sure you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the real world (especially the world of contact printing!). Characteristics of this lens are the same as the other non-MC Fujinon-A series: excellent coverage and sharpness, relatively compact size, equally good at close up and infinity when stopped down, etc.

Hope this helps,

Phil

LH1H17
6-Nov-2009, 20:03
I have a Fujinon 600A Lens and the front and rear lens cap sizes are NOT the same... the front plastic cap is 100mm and the rear plastic cap is 95mm. Unfortunately I have lost my rear cap... does anybody know where to get replacement 95mm caps? :(

Phil Hudson
7-Nov-2009, 03:33
I stand corrected - the front and rear are indeed 100mm and 95mm respectively. BTW, Kaiser make a range of slip on caps in most sizes. I think you can get them through B&H.

LH1H17
8-Nov-2009, 04:54
I stand corrected - the front and rear are indeed 100mm and 95mm respectively. BTW, Kaiser make a range of slip on caps in most sizes. I think you can get them through B&H.

Most sizes, yes, but not 95mm! :(
It doesn't help that not a single modern Large Format lens comes with this cap size! :mad:

Songyun
8-Nov-2009, 08:15
I have a Fujinon 600A Lens and the front and rear lens cap sizes are NOT the same... the front plastic cap is 100mm and the rear plastic cap is 95mm. Unfortunately I have lost my rear cap... does anybody know where to get replacement 95mm caps? :(

sk grime...

Tracy Storer
8-Nov-2009, 08:52
I shot many thousands of studio 20x24s and hundreds of location (closer to infinity) 20x24s with the 600A back in the day, but had to leave it with the Boston Studio when I moved to CA in '97. Since then, it's been the 600C, which aside from slightly less good performance and coverage at the extremes (20x24 near infinity) is a great lens, much more common, compact (67mm filters) and affordable. (the old 600A was stolen from the Boston studio about a year after I left)