PDA

View Full Version : How to carry reduction backs

jeroldharter
30-Oct-2009, 20:26
I am still working on my methods for managing 8x10 gear. How do people manage reducing backs in the field in terms of carrying them in a pack?

I don't find any wraps large enough. Wrapping them in the darkcloth is cumbersome and not much protection. Any ideas appreciated.

Paul O
31-Oct-2009, 03:16
Wrap mine in a padded wrap - Silvestri make them about 50x50cms.

Paul Metcalf
31-Oct-2009, 07:17
My wife made (sewed) a couple of slip cases from lightweight neoprene sized to each back. The flap is held down with velcro. I can carry one back in my f64 along with camera and gear.

Warren Clark
31-Oct-2009, 07:40
Hi jerold,
I use various cases designed for laptop computers for some of
my flat LF gear.. I use some end loading cases from Sierra Trading Post-
Cheyenne, Wyo. They work well for reduction backs, film holders,
extra film, etc.

Warren Clark
Ft. Collins, Colo.

Keith Pitman
31-Oct-2009, 07:53
I found a plastic case meant for holding papers at the Container Store that was just the right size for the 4x5 back for my 5x7. It's too wide; so I lined it with a lens wrap to keep the back from rattling around. I like the idea of a hard case to protect the back and keep it clean. You'll need something larger for 8x10, of course.

ljsegil
5-Nov-2009, 04:42
Optech sells a line of variously sized neoprene sleeves that I use for my reduction backs. Very satisfactory and not too expensive.
Larry

vinny
5-Nov-2009, 04:53
Jerold, my 4x5 back for the wehman has a graflock back with metal folding hood. I just toss it on top of the camera. The snap buckle lays underneath. No problems. Of course, if your camera is in a separate case then this may not apply.

Robert Hughes
11-Nov-2009, 14:17
Oh, please, I don't carry reduction backs. That's what my posse's for...

neil poulsen
12-Nov-2009, 12:00
I always get backpacks that are rectangular with no compartments, etc. My zippered covers that open the interior space of the large backpack also have their own somewhat smaller backpack that piggy-backs on the larger backpack.

I put polaroid backs, extra bellows, and the like into that smaller backpack.