PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 3 way levelling head problem?

dontmessage
29-Oct-2009, 03:34
I recently purchased the Linhof 3 way leveling head (003663) new from badger graphics. I think this head may be faulty. The panning base seems to “wobble” quite a bit no matter how tight the panning operation is locked. Is this normal? Is there some easy way to fix this or should it be sent back? The link shows a short video clip of the problem. Thanks in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44172527@N08/4054714159/

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2009, 04:15
It should not wobble at all. If it were not a grey market version it would be covered by our 5 year Linhof warranty. But since it was not imported by us the only warranty for it is at the factory in Germany.

Steve Hamley
29-Oct-2009, 06:26
Curious. I bought one used that does the same thing. It doesn't wobble (holding it in your hands). But when you tighten the head on the tripod, the panning base has quite a bit of play in it. The play is "llose" with little or no resistance, but it only goes so far and stops "hard". I've been meaning to send it to Marflex, but haven't done it yet.

Cheers, Steve

Bill_1856
29-Oct-2009, 07:08
The Linhof 003663 is the only piece of photographic gear that I have ever seriously lusted for but found too expensive to buy. At that price, it should be perfect!

Steve Hamley
29-Oct-2009, 08:55
It's a nice head. I'm currently using a Gitzo 1370M which is rated a little better, but it has advantages and disadvantages. The main disadvantage is they don't make it anymore so you have to find a used one, and it's slightly heavier.

The advantages are that the 1370M has a larger platform - I use it for light 8x10 also, it's cheaper, has a lower profile, and it has longer "handles" (which could be a disadvantage YMMV) which I use to hang a Gnass film holder or Quickload pouch, and a Tamrac or Lowe filter case while shooting. Can't do that easily with the Linhof head.

Cheers, Steve

john biskupski
29-Oct-2009, 09:22
I had the same issue with a new Linhof 3663 head purchased from Linhof Studios here in England last spring. When I called to report the problem they could actually hear the head rattling over the phone line as I wobbled it. A real Friday afternoon special! I think the problem was an internal tightening grub screw that wasn't fitted properly in production. How it came to pass QC by the manufacturer, or the dealer, is beyond me. I sent it back and it was replaced immediately, the new one works fine, oozing solidity, and supporting my MQC 5x7 with ease. But for how long, I don't dare think about.

Steve Hamley
29-Oct-2009, 12:38
Bob, might we ask you please, to ask a few strategic questions? Seems the phenomena is not an isolated case.

Cheers, Steve

Frank Petronio
29-Oct-2009, 12:57
Mine was perfect when I owned it, the best tripod head in its weight class ever.

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2009, 13:40
Bob, might we ask you please, to ask a few strategic questions? Seems the phenomena is not an isolated case.

Cheers, Steve

Not really. Seems like 3 people had a problem. We have had very few problems over the years that we have sold them.

The OP had a gray market one that was not shipped to his dealer by the factory but was instead transshipped.
One poster bought a used one.
One in the UK had his immediately replaced by the factory.

Doesn't really sound like an endemic problem of any sort. Anything can happen in trans-shipments and there is no way of knowing how it was packed, shipped or handled to reach the gray market dealer, we don't know the full history of a used one.

What are the other strategic questions?

dontmessage
29-Oct-2009, 17:46
I've contacted Badger Graphics about the issue and they have agreed to replace it. It's a shame, yet strangely reassuring, to hear of others who have also had this problem.

Steve Hamley
29-Oct-2009, 18:29
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe other strategic questions might be: "What's likely wrong with it?", and "Can the user fix it?"

Cheers, Steve

Paul Kierstead
29-Oct-2009, 20:14
Doesn't really sound like an endemic problem of any sort. Anything can happen in trans-shipments and there is no way of knowing how it was packed, shipped or handled to reach the gray market dealer, we don't know the full history of a used one.

I'd agree that three documented cases do not an endemic make (though it seems high for a very specialty product, but certainly not out of a sensible range).

However, if you are seriously suggesting that a heavy duty tripod head can be damaged in shipping without total and complete destruction of the packing materials, I'd suggest that the head is not very robust. I would expect such a head to survive being wet, dropped, kicked, frozen, heated and most anything else. If it can't, it isn't worth its money.

Bob Salomon
30-Oct-2009, 03:09
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe other strategic questions might be: "What's likely wrong with it?", and "Can the user fix it?"

Cheers, Steve

I can't tell you what might be wrong without Marflex seeing it. A user might be able to service it but won't have ready access to parts, if needed, and pulling up the covering and removing and replacing screws may be visible as signs of unauthorized repair. Marflex is the one that can fully answer those questions.

Arne Croell
31-Oct-2009, 02:51
I own two of them, one about 17 years old, and one 5 years (why two? schlepping the 4x5 back and forth between Germany and the US was too cumbersome and I now have 4x5 setups on 2 continents). I never experienced the problem, and they habe been banged und have numerous scratches and nicks but function fine (which they should, as mentioned by Paul).
Whether this problem is user serviceable depends on the reason, and as Bob said, it will void the warranty, so anybody doing this proceed at their own risk. I opened my first one many years ago, not because it wobbled, but because the grease in there became quite resistant to movement at very low temperatures (-15 to -20deg C), and I replaced it with a lower viscosity one. You pull off the faux leather covering at the bottom, it is held by an elastic glue. Then there are three slotted screws holding the bottom plate. Make sure that the screwdriver fits well, as they will be tight, otherwise you'll strip the heads. After removing that, you will see a central screw that connects two metal plates, one brass, one steel if I remember correctly. The top lever compresses these two plates (with grease in between) to lock the rotation, and the large central screw from the bottom presets the plate distance when open. Note that that central screw is secured by thread lock fluid! If that distance is too large, it will wobble and won't lock tight. If there are other reasons (maybe a bent central screw, or an uneven plate) you need replacement parts. If the distance is too large, you can use the central screw to reduce the distance. This takes some trial and error to get it right, what feels correct with your hands may be different under the load of a camera. Once set at the right distance, it is absolutely necessary to lock the central screw again. Since there is grease everywhere, this needs to be done carefully and involves degreasing those areas where the thread lock fluid goes (acetone works fine, but make sure it does not leak onto anodized outer parts, it will remove the black or red dyes in the anodized layer). Then the bottom plate goes back on. After I exchanged the grease, my head has a little bit of play with the lever wide open, probably due to the "thinner" grease, but it locks tight fine, or turns without play at an intermediate lever position.
Disclaimer: Its about 14 years since I did this, so I might have missed a detail or two, but the way it works is pretty obvious once its open.
Of course for a new one, replacement is the preferred way to deal with it.

lithophotos
11-Nov-2009, 14:59
I had a simiilar problem with a new head bought in the UK from Linhof and Studio. I didn't discover the problem until I was in India, in the field. I peeled back the rubber base and tightended the screws around the rim, under the rubber, which solved the problem. It is a great head and works fine now.

Robin

Steve Hamley
13-Nov-2009, 17:31
O.K. folks, I think I've fixed mine. Robin's advice didn't do it, but while examining those screws, I noticed some brassing at the end of the blind hole that the tripod screw goes in. And the light came on...

The tripod mounting screw is too long. As an experiment, I just backed the tripod mounting screw out and tried the head again - no wobble!

This would explain the apparent random nature of the problem and the occurrence in new heads. BTW I'm using Gitzo 1340 and GT3541XLS tripods with this head...

Cheers, Steve