PDA

View Full Version : Format- Print vs Transparency

Greg Liscio
28-Oct-2009, 14:28
As a follow-up to the Film Size format, please indicate whether you use Print or Slide film.

Thank you.

Rick Russell
28-Oct-2009, 16:02
Does your question (and poll) relate to color, black and white, and/or both?

Rick Russell

Greg Liscio
28-Oct-2009, 19:27
Does your question (and poll) relate to color, black and white, and/or both?

Rick Russell

Both, Rick. Although I should have been more specific.

seven/9
8-Nov-2009, 21:21
love slide film 35mm ok - 4x5 stands out. easier to crop and even over expose image can be used w/ cibachrome. kodakchrome is one of the biggest lost to all using slide film. recently started working again w/ b&w negative film. i prefer 4x5, followed by medium format 6x7.
seven/9

Vick Vickery
8-Nov-2009, 22:09
I shoot both in all formats and even shoot digital, too!

ljsegil
9-Nov-2009, 04:33
Probably 60% print, 30% transparency, 10% digital mostly for documentation purposes. I find I am transitioning more over to negative film as my scanning workflow (no wet darkroom) is better now that I am settling in with C F Systems ColorNeg Photoshop plug-in (works for both color and B&W); I now prefer the color results with C F Systems over transparencies, and achieve them typically with fewer adjustments. They offer a free trial if interested.
And not just coincidentally, my desire to see Portra 160NC remain available in 5x7 via the group buy at Badger Graphic, rather than having only Provia for 5x7 color, is driven in large part by this change in the quality of my results with negative color film.
Larry

Stephen Willard
9-Nov-2009, 20:46
About a year ago I had the chance to talk with a Kodak representative. I asked him the big question about the life expectancy of film in today's digital world. He told me that if film did disappear it would occur first with slide, followed by color negative film, and then finally, b&w film. Of the Kodak color negative films, he said that Portra 160 VC would go first then Portra 160 NC which is Kodak's most popular color negative film.

The results of your survey seems to support his predictions with print film being more popular than slide film.

chachi
12-Nov-2009, 15:25
i didn't think about the color vs b&w thing when i voted, and it's different for each. shooting 4x5, negative all the way for b&w, but for color, i just discovered how much of a pain it is to get even color contact prints of 4x5 negatives in this town. i had been shooting chromes and but then processed three exposures of porta 160 before i even thought about where i would get a print from...

William McEwen
12-Nov-2009, 15:39
Color transparency is more finicky than negative film when it comes to exposure. But chromes have lots more snap and richness than negatives. That is, if you like more snap and richness, and I do.

Ben Syverson
12-Nov-2009, 22:23
The thing about "snap" is that it's easy to add in post. But it's impossible to get back blown highlights and sunken shadows.

With that said, there's something about a transparency on a light table that no other medium can touch. You can never equal that richness in a print or on the computer.

Preston
13-Nov-2009, 08:08
In my work I use about 80% color transparency (Fuji Astia 100-F) and 20% color negative (Fuji 160 Pro-S).

I like having the color neg film around when I need its greater dynamic range.

-P

D. Bryant
13-Nov-2009, 09:23
As a follow-up to the Film Size format, please indicate whether you use Print or Slide film.

Thank you.
So what the hell is the point of your poll anyway?

Don Bryant