PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao 4x5 with Sinar Lens Boards

Lachlan 717
28-Oct-2009, 13:23
Anyone know if Shen Hao makes a 4x5 that:

a) Accepts Sinar/Horseman lens boards?
b) Accepts Sinar Auto Aperture shutter behind the front standard?

I've got a feeling that you can get a HZX might, but I am just looking at poor quality web shots.

Thanks in advance,

Lachlan.

vinny
28-Oct-2009, 13:40
I don't think so because the camera couldn't fold up with a bigger front standard. It would be a custom order. Your best bet would be to contact Badgergraphic.com. They sell shen hao's.

Gem Singer
28-Oct-2009, 14:49
It seems to me that it would be very difficult to fit a Sinar/Horseman board to the front standard of a 4X5 Shen Hao that is designed to use the smaller Linhof Tech lens boards.

Songyun
28-Oct-2009, 14:54
Why not just get a Sinar F/F2? You can find a used one pretty cheap.

Lachlan 717
28-Oct-2009, 15:27
Why not just get a Sinar F/F2? You can find a used one pretty cheap.

I've currently got Horseman, but I would like something a lot more portable. I'd
really like to be able to use the Sinar shutter with Barrel lenses...

I'm not too worried about it folding. Maybe it's time to send Mr Zhang another message.

Lachlan 717
28-Oct-2009, 15:40
I appears that the only camera that Shen Hao makes that accepts Sinar/Horseman lens boards is the FCL810-A.

It seems to me that it would be very difficult to fit a Sinar/Horseman board to the front standard of a 4X5 Shen Hao that is designed to use the smaller Linhof Tech lens boards.

Even their 5X7 cameras use Linhof tech-style boards.

This looks like a Sinar board on a 5x7:

Gem Singer
28-Oct-2009, 16:07
It certainly looks like it does use Sinar/Horseman lens boards.

Since you were asking about 4X5 cameras, I searched the Badgergraphic website.

They only listed the 8X10 model, and did not list the particular 5X7 camera you are showing.

Which model Shen Hao is it?

Songyun
28-Oct-2009, 18:05
I've currently got Horseman, but I would like something a lot more portable. I'd
really like to be able to use the Sinar shutter with Barrel lenses...

I'm not too worried about it folding. Maybe it's time to send Mr Zhang another message.

I dont know much about horseman, but sinar F/F2 is quite portable, not that heavy.

or you can try graphic, some of the model has film plane shutter.

Lachlan 717
28-Oct-2009, 23:40
It certainly looks like it does use Sinar/Horseman lens boards.

Since you were asking about 4X5 cameras, I searched the Badgergraphic website.

They only listed the 8X10 model, and did not list the particular 5X7 camera you are showing.

Which model Shen Hao is it?

It's an HZ57 model by the look of it.

It's on eBay under number 270464578591.

Now, if it is a Sinar mount, I wonder if the bellows is as well. And if they'll build a 4x5 with this front!

briand
29-Oct-2009, 01:04
Hi Lachlan.
I had a similar problem, I have a Horseman LX and a tachihara 4x5 and only one set of lenses, I converted a spare Horseman lens board to take Linhof lens boards, and put all my lenses on linhof boards, so I can use them on either camera, Its quit easy to do.
Hope this helps
Regards Brian.:)
PS if you want photos, instructions PM me
will be glad to help out.

Nick_3536
29-Oct-2009, 04:30
My HZX57 takes Sinar flat boards but not recessed. The FCL810 takes both flat and recessed.

The 5x7 can be had with a 4x5 back. Little bigger and heavier then a true 4x5 but not much.

Lachlan 717
29-Oct-2009, 06:46
My HZX57 takes Sinar flat boards but not recessed. The FCL810 takes both flat and recessed.

The 5x7 can be had with a 4x5 back. Little bigger and heavier then a true 4x5 but not much.

Thanks, Nick.

Can you please let me know the config for the bellow attaching to the front standard? I want to mount a Sinar shutter between the standard and the bellows.

If my Horseman is anything to go by, if you can mount a Sinar lensboard to the rear of the front standard (obviously facing backwards and with the bellow detatched!!), the shutter should fit.

Really appreciate your assistance!!

Lachlan.

Lachlan 717
29-Oct-2009, 06:59
Hi Lachlan.
I had a similar problem, I have a Horseman LX and a tachihara 4x5 and only one set of lenses, I converted a spare Horseman lens board to take Linhof lens boards, and put all my lenses on linhof boards, so I can use them on either camera, Its quit easy to do.
Hope this helps
Regards Brian.:)
PS if you want photos, instructions PM me
will be glad to help out.

Thanks, mate.

Great minds think alike!! I converted one recently; hoping the locating screws hold.

The reason that I'm trying to work this out is that I'd like to replace my rail camera with a 4x5 field camera that will accept a Sinar shutter. I want something quicker and easier to move and to set up so that I can take environmental portraits with old/brass lenses.

Glad your trip to Mungo went well. I've still got it pencilled in to do. In fact, just bought a Toyota Troopy to do so. Trouble is, I'm stuck in Birminhgam (Uk) at the moment with an itchy trigger finger and only an Xpan to soothe it!!

Lachlan

Nick_3536
29-Oct-2009, 07:31
Thanks, Nick.

Can you please let me know the config for the bellow attaching to the front standard? I want to mount a Sinar shutter between the standard and the bellows.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's an Ebony copy I think. From what everybody said when it came out it's supposed to be a fairly close copy.

How big is the shutter? The opening behind the lensboard is smaller then the lensboard by a bit. That's why the recessed board won't fit. Is the Sinar shutter smaller then the recessed part of the Sinar recessed board?

Lachlan 717
29-Oct-2009, 08:16
I'm not sure what you mean. It's an Ebony copy I think. From what everybody said when it came out it's supposed to be a fairly close copy.

How big is the shutter? The opening behind the lensboard is smaller then the lensboard by a bit. That's why the recessed board won't fit. Is the Sinar shutter smaller then the recessed part of the Sinar recessed board?

Sorry about the poor directions!

Let me try to explain another way:

If I remove the bellows from the front standard of my Horseman, the hole left and the locking system are identical to the lens board mount. In other words, the bellows have the same design as a lensboard.

Thus, I could fit a lensboard to the back of the front standard, facing backwards.

I have my doubts if this makes anything clearer...

Thanks again,

Lachlan.

Lachlan 717
31-Oct-2009, 14:35
Well, I've asked Mr Zhang if he'll make me a 4x5 that accepts a) Sinar bellows and b) Sinar lens boards.

I'm really hoping that I'll have a light, portable, compact, easy/quick to set up/pack up camera taht accepts Sinar shutters and barrel lenses!

I'll keep you informed...

Lachlan

Lachlan 717
31-Oct-2009, 14:37

I assume that I've been too obtuse for you, Nick!!