PDA

View Full Version : First camera - Film holder questions from a noob.

Sean Galbraith
26-Oct-2009, 08:07
Hi all,

I have just bought my first large format camera, a Crown Graphic. I (think) I got a good deal on it, and intend to use it to further my addiction and learn more about the format (and likely learn how to process B&W negs, which I've never done before).

I'm thinking about using a mix of ready/quick loads (in addition to regular film holders) and have questions about them...

What's the difference between a 545 and 545i holder?
Can I use Fuji Quickloads and Kodak Readyloads (that might be backwards... i forget) in the same holder, or do they each take a different kind? Can the same holders be used for Type55 (I have a couple packs of that, though, have no idea how to use it yet). Also, what holders work for Fuji FP pack film (other than fuji branded ones)?

Thanks,
total noob.

Robert Hughes
26-Oct-2009, 08:09
From what I've read recently, I would not buy a Polaroid 545 or 545i holder. The Fuji Quickloads supposedly do not fit either. There is another thread around here discussing the Fuji Quickload.

Steve Hamley
26-Oct-2009, 08:34
Sean,

Welcome to the large format world.

The Polaroid holder will take Polaroid film, Kodak Readyloads, and Fuji Quickloads. However, all Kodak and Polaroid packet film has been discontinued almost a year ago. Fuji Acros (B&W negative film) has been discontinued in the US in Quickloads, so if you want to to do B&W, you'll need some regular film and holders.

The late Kodak Readyload holder with the red release button and black pressure plate will handle both Kodak and Fuji packet film.

The Fuji holder, IMO will only consistently handle Fuji film packets.

Cheers, steve

Bob Sawin
26-Oct-2009, 13:18
Sean,

I beleive Kodak has ceased production of all Readi-Load film packs and Fuji has ceased import of Acros Quick-Loads into the U.S.. For now Fuji is still importing some color Quick-Load packs.

All...jump in & correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards,

Bob

venchka
28-Oct-2009, 14:59
Bob, you're cool.

Sean, holders come along frequently. Watch the For Sale section here.

Good luck! Show us your photos when you have them.

Sean Galbraith
30-Oct-2009, 10:05
Thanks all. I'll be sure to post some shots when I get some made.

I'm thinking now I'm going to go with a Polaroid 550 holder if I can find one. I really like the Fuji FP instant films.

venchka
30-Oct-2009, 10:13
Thanks all. I'll be sure to post some shots when I get some made.

I'm thinking now I'm going to go with a Polaroid 550 holder if I can find one. I really like the Fuji FP instant films.

The 550 holder is for 4"x5" Fujiroid instant material.

The 405 holder is for 3 1/4"x4 1/4" Fujiroid instant material.

Sean Galbraith
30-Oct-2009, 10:14
Exactly. I want to shoot the FP-100C45.

venchka
30-Oct-2009, 10:20
Cool. I have some. I am looking for the right time & the right subject.

Frank_E
30-Oct-2009, 10:22
welcome Sean
we've run across each other in our Toronto travels several times...

Sean Galbraith
31-Oct-2009, 05:42
Hey there Frank!

jp
1-Nov-2009, 06:25
Welcome. I'd recommend going straight to processing your own B&W. It's pretty simple and low budget to get that started. Load and unload your film from holders in a changing bag or a closet at night. There are many methods to actually process the film, some of which can be done in full daylight. Then you can scan them or contact print them if you don't have the space or interest in a large format enlarger.

Sean Galbraith
9-Nov-2009, 07:56
Just shot my first 12 photos with the camera this past weekend. Now the wait for negs and then scans begins.

Even with the 4.7 lens, the ground glass seems pretty dark. Can that be swapped out for something brighter?

Discoman
9-Nov-2009, 19:38
What's the difference between a 545 and 545i holder?

the 545 is mostly metal, and stronger. the 545i is mostly plastic, and lighter.