PDA

View Full Version : problems shooting extra wide on a linhoff technika V

Dan Dubowitz
25-Oct-2009, 10:36
Trying to use my early 65mm/f8 schneider super angulon on the linhoff technika 5, with the front bed down, the lens at infinity is half in the camera body not on the optical bench, it wont grip and i cant focus it.

is this attachment the intended Linhoff solution? does it need a different lens board to adapt my current lenses to the front?
Any ideas how to use it, if its the right thing, what the options are would be much appreciated?

thanks

dan

Steve Hamley
25-Oct-2009, 10:56
Dan,

You need a Linhof Wide Angle Focusing device. It's no longer made but they crop up on eBay regularly, but like all things Linhof, it isn't cheap.

The device attaches to the front standard and has a helical focusing gear that you use with this lens (among others) in place of the regular focusing rails. The MT 3000 has it built in like the older 5x7 did IIRC. jpegs attached.

Cheers, Steve

gary mulder
25-Oct-2009, 11:07
you will need a linhof wide angle focusing device to focus the SA 65 mm on a linhof master tech or IV

Dan Dubowitz
25-Oct-2009, 11:59
Many Thanks Steve and Gary, I saw one of these for sale and wandered if it would do the trick, it didnt have this additional lens board, does this device clamp on tot he existing front end or do I have to dismantle the front?
I'm thinking about swapping back and forth with the 90mm i use
Also what's the deal with the extra board, is this a different size lens board than a standard linhoff 4x5 board, will i need one to remount my lens into it?

Dan Dubowitz
25-Oct-2009, 12:03
Ive had a better look at your photo steve, which answers the question whether it fits into the existing front end, so it looks like i'll need this additional board, is it is a standard 4x5 lens board?

Bob Salomon
25-Oct-2009, 12:19
Ive had a better look at your photo steve, which answers the question whether it fits into the existing front end, so it looks like i'll need this additional board, is it is a standard 4x5 lens board?

The Linhof Wide Angle Focusing Device used a special board from the 2x3 Technika. Since the WA Focusing device fits where the lensboard would normally attach to the camera the board that fits it has to be smaller then a 45 board.

Bob Salomon
25-Oct-2009, 12:23

Be very careful when you buy the adapter that it actually fits your camera. Linhof made these for a long, long time! Also be careful that the board that you buy will fit the WA Focusing Device. There were some 23 boards which will not work. And, as one member of the Forum discovered, there are some WA Focusing Devices out there that look identical at first glance to the last series that will not fit as they were an OEM product from something else that had been stripped off the system it was made for and sold on eBay as the one that would fit!

Steve Hamley
25-Oct-2009, 13:33

Dan,

No it's a 2x3 board as Bob notes. However, the last time I was at Midwest Photo Exchange, they had several of them. Just be sure to get the one you need as 2x3 boards aren't all the same. But Jim will work with you to get the right one.

Jeff Wheeler at Quality Camera would be another person to contact. He has lots of used stuff and knows what fits what.

Cheers, Steve

Peter K
25-Oct-2009, 14:20
Just be sure to get the one you need as 2x3 boards aren't all the same.
Early Wide Angle Focusing Devices like Steve's use silver 2x3 boards from the Technika III and IV 2x3, later ones Technika 70 and newer black 2x3 camera lens boards.

Bob Salomon
26-Oct-2009, 09:25
According to the Jos. Schneider & Co. brochure from 1968 the 65mm f* SA covered a 155mm circle @ f16. 4x5 needs a 154mm circle. That means no movements and you will see all of the fall off with that lens on 45. Also, it came in a 00 shutter. You might want to find the 65mm 5.6 or the Grandagon 65mm 4.5 before investing in money to use the f*. The 5.6 SA from the same era covered a 170mm circle as did the Grandagon 4.5. These lenses will let you do image corrections on 45.