PDA

View Full Version : Verito 11.5" in a Real Shutter ?

SteveKarr
24-Oct-2009, 13:15
Hi Everyone,
I am now the proud owner of a Mint Verito 11.5" in a studio shutter. I have a Packard now (and it is what it is) but would love to shoot this baby outside wide open. Is there any experience with this lens in a semi-modern shutter? What size and who did the mounting?
I could just get a Sinar shutter I guess at $5-600 smackers ... but that will not leave any money for film...

So any good ideas ??

Also is there a second front (light) that will make this a longer focal length?
Hmmm ...

Thanks in Advance!

Steve

wfwhitaker
24-Oct-2009, 15:53
..Is there any experience with this lens in a semi-modern shutter? What size and who did the mounting?
I could just get a Sinar shutter I guess at $5-600 smackers ... but that will not leave any money for film...

So any good ideas ??

Also is there a second front (light) that will make this a longer focal length?

A Compound #5 might be big enough. I don't have my 11 1/2" with me to be able to measure it, but Ole has the shutter dimensions posted here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=223663&postcount=1). A Sinar shutter is a good option, too, and may well be a less expensive choice than buying a shutter, having it serviced and then having custom machine work done to mount the lens. It has the advantage of being usable for many lenses, not just one, so it may be easier to justify the cost. If you have your Verito mounted on a Sinar board for that purpose, you'll need to have a spacer made for the flange (essentially a "top-hat") to offset it so the back of the lens does not interfere with the shutter. I had this done for a Cooke Series IIA by S. K. Grimes who made the spacer out of Delrin.

Barring a "modern" shutter, neutral density filters are de rigueur. Don't be bashful; an ND9 at least - or even stack a couple to get to a shutter speed you can control with a Studio or Packard.

Any Verito is a convertible lens by removing the front element. The resulting focal length for your 11 1/2" lens will be 20". Don't forget to account for the change in f/stop accordingly. There was an extension lens made for the 18" Verito which turned it into a 22 1/4" lens. As far as I know there was never an extension lens made for the other focal lengths. By my experience, the character of a Verito is determined by the rear group while the front element controls the focal length. Being a simple positive lens, it may be possible to find a singlet to replace the front element which would give you the focal length you desire. On the other hand, Verito's came in a variety of focal lengths, so it may just be simpler to find the one you want.