PDA

View Full Version : Help on field camera and film?

chris00nj
23-Oct-2009, 19:35
I have this field camera that I believe my grandfather made in the 1940s. It appears to take 2.5 x 3.5 sheet film. I would like to be able to try to use the camera, but I don't know where I can find a sheet film holder and dark slide for a 2.5 x 3.5 (or 6x9)? I've checked ebay and done some googling, but the info out there is very limited.

Here is the front of the camera after its been unfolded. The distance scale looks like it was punched, so I think that lends evidence to the fact it was handmade (he was a tool and dye maker so he had the skill and equipment):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2802/4038127757_fde94a13fa_b.jpg

Here is the back of the camera where I believe the film goes. I also don't really know how to aim the camera. I believe one should be able to use that back piece somehow and look through the lens?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/4038126183_d1794672e5_b.jpg

One side of the back lifts up a bit and I believe you can slide in a sheet film holder. Does this sound right?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2426/4038127011_a7e350a25a_b.jpg

Any advice or tips you might know of regarding where to get film and accessories or how to aim it, would be greatly appreciated. I've always been a 35mm guy, but now have been getting interest in trying a larger format.

Len Middleton
23-Oct-2009, 20:04
Is this a naked Crown Graphic without the leather covering?

The notches on the rear for the focusing knobs and the front standard look like it.

John Kasaian
23-Oct-2009, 20:05
Have you tried ebay for film holders?

John Kasaian
23-Oct-2009, 20:09
Of course you have--- My bad! I didn't read your post al the way through. You might check with Photo Graphic Systems in Santa Fe, NM They have a website so a search should turn up something.
Good luck!

Oren Grad
23-Oct-2009, 20:30
It appears to take 2.5 x 3.5 sheet film.

How did you determine this? What exactly did you measure? Could it possibly be a 2.25" x 3.25" camera instead? If it is, film holders will be readily available.

Vick Vickery
23-Oct-2009, 20:37
The wood of the body looks a little too thick to me to be a baby Crown Graphic with the leather stripped off, though it certainly seems to be a copy of one. Maybe your grandfather had access to one as a guide or maybe he had a wrecked one to start with...parts of the front standard and some of the focusing parts look like they may be factory parts. Measure the glass...I'll bet it take standard 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" holders and film; these are readily available on eBay and from retailers like KEH and B&H.

Yes, the glass is part of the focusing and viewing arangement. You open the lens (put it on "T", cock the shutter and press the release lever) and you will see an upside-down image on the glass; use the round knobs on the bed to focus the image (start with the lens pulled out about 120mm from the glass with the focus rail turned all the way back toward the body) and focus on a bright light bulb across the room...you'll be able to see that in the glass without a focusing hood over your head and the back of the camera (which you'll need, by the way, in normal usage) if you don't have a bright light behind you. Also, it'll be easier if you mount the camera on a tripod for this exercise. Press the shutter release again to close the lens.

This will get you started...also do some reading. Your local library will have Ansel Adam's 5-book series which starts with a book called "Camera and Lens". It contains pretty easy to follow instructions in the use of a view camera which will also apply to your press-type camera.

Vick Vickery
23-Oct-2009, 20:42
Oh, I got carried away and forgot...Welcome to group therepy!

And go the the home page of this site for more instruction on using large format cameras and info on Graphic press cameras which yours looks to be a copy of.

Glenn Thoreson
23-Oct-2009, 20:59
I see some modified parts from a Pacemaker series Crow/Speed Graphic but the camera is definitely home made. A damn fine job, too. A word on the shutter: That shutter is old enough that it may not need to be cocked to open it on "T". In fact the old ones can be broken by trying to do so. Rotate the speed ring to the "T" position and trip the release lever. That's the one on the lower left, facing it. If it opens you'll know not to cock it. If not, cock the shutter. That's the lever on the upper left, facing it. Then trip the release to open it. Newer versions must be cocked and I don't remember where the transition point was. 2X3 fiilm holders can be gotten from www.KEH.com, Midwest Photo: www.mpex.com and Pacific Rim Camera, to name a few. 2X3 sheet film is available from www.digitaltruth.com and www.freestylephoto.biz and others. I hope you can use your camera. It's a fine piece of work that needs to be enjoyed. :D

chris00nj
23-Oct-2009, 21:03
I thought 2.25x3.25, 2.5x3.5 and 6x9 were all the same actual size and it was just a terminology difference. I'll have to take some exact measurements (it's at my parents' house).

Ahhh... you need a hood to see anything. I had got the shutter open and couldn't see much through the back and the lens.

I'm sure he had access to some other camera or manual to copy. Like I originally wrote, I think the distance scale is too homemade looking for it to be an actually production model. Obviously he bought the lens and the bellows.

Thanks for the tip on Photo Graphic System. The site says they have two 2.25x3.25 film holders.

Is the glass supposed to be opaque like that or is it dirty with age?

ki6mf
24-Oct-2009, 03:42
If this is a 6X9 and you are looking for sheet film holders E Bay is the best way to go. Also I have purchased sheet film holders from or in the USA www. KEH.com and from http://www.collectiblecameras.com/home.php. A good resource may be http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/

The second issue sheet film. I have ordered HP5 6X9 sheet film from Freestyle. They will place an order with Ilford however it may take up to 30 days or longer to fill as this is a odd size film that has little demand and they may have to wait for shipments to arrive from Europe. Ilfords web site has list of products in manufacture and if sheet film is what you want to use check this as this size sheet film can be dropped due to demand http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20093161552402063.pdf

An alternative is to buy roll film holders for 6X7/6X9 and you should be able to buy Graflex roll film holders Either the RH8, 10,12 or the model 22 or 23 may work on this camera. This link on the graflex.org site gives details. http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html

al olson
24-Oct-2009, 05:51
I thought 2.25x3.25, 2.5x3.5 and 6x9 were all the same actual size and it was just a terminology difference. I'll have to take some exact measurements (it's at my parents' house).

Although the film holders for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and 6x9 films have the same exterior dimensions and will fit into the back of your camera, they are different sizes internally. I am not familiar with any 2.5x3.5 films. Adorama mistakenly shipped 6x9 holders when I had ordered Linhof 2.25x3.25s and I had to return them because they were 3mm too wide and the film was falling out. It was a shame because the Linhof holders were very nice.

I recommend that you go with the 2.25x3.25 size holders because this film is much easier to find. Color films in this size disappeared years ago and four or five years ago it was impossible to obtain monochrome either, but that seems to have changed. Freestyle carries films with ISOs of 50, 100, and 200 in Efke and their in house Aristo brand. Oftentimes Ilford will make a run in ISO 100 or 200 and sometimes they have HP5 available.

I presume you are aware to set the lens wide open when you are viewing on the ground glass so that the image is not quite so dim. ;) Sometimes we forget to tend to these small details.