PDA

View Full Version : Diy sports viewfinder for monorail camera? (framing on dark)

jvuokko
23-Oct-2009, 05:07
Has anybody done kind a sports viewfinder for a monorail view camera?
Perhaps this question sounds funny, but the reality behind it is the need for good guiding device for setting up camera when it's too dark to see composition on the ground glass.

I can focus on some point lights, but the rough framing must be done somehow.

I have ran to this framing and composing issue several times with a field camera. Usually during dawn or dusk. The LF lenses are just too dark to allow me to see what's included on the frame and what is not.
Just within couple of weeks I was going to take a photograph of the Cathedral, which has quite brightly lit tower. But I could not see a it at the GG - eventhought I knew that lens is so wide that it should be there.
At the end I had to leave scene without a photograph because I could not be sure what would be in the frame and what's not.

Now I cannot use a field camera which is easier platform for sports viewfinders etc..

So, any ideas, solutions or perhaps examples?

Peter K
23-Oct-2009, 06:05
It should easily be made with the eyepiece, a cardboard with a circular hole of half an inch, attached to the back standard and a frame made of wire on the front standard. You can also mount a small digicam or so on the standard to use it as a viewfinder.

But with a bright spot made with a strong flashlight you should be able not only to setting up the camera but also to focus. Of course a good dark-cloth and an assistant for the flashlight will help.

Neil_4793
23-Oct-2009, 06:29
Coat Hangers and Duct Tape.
"If the women don't find you hansome, they might as well find you handy."
Mc Iver

ic-racer
23-Oct-2009, 06:58
You might also consider an 'optica' viewfinder for a smaller camera, if you match it to your lens view.
Or for more $$$ you can get a zoom finder from Horseman or for even more $$$$$ Linhof.

My Horseman already has a mount for the finder, but if I were you and serious about this, I'd mount an accessory shoe on the camera. Then you will have a number of viewfinder options available to you.

Otherwise, as suggested, look at a Graphic sports finder and copy that. Its cool because it 'automatically' changes view as you change lenses.

GPS
23-Oct-2009, 07:16
It is very easy and relatively very precise - put a frame (with a line cross in the middle) in the film format size on your front standard, make a smaller frame with a line cross in the middle and put it on the back standard. The line cross must be in the same hight and centered on the front frame center. When viewing hold your eye close to the center of the rear frame, the line cross disappear enough not to disturb you but will help you to keep your eye centered. If the distance of both frames is that of the focal length of your lens (attention at your bellows draw!) the framing is very precise.

jvuokko
23-Oct-2009, 08:23
Thanks. Theres some good options now. My monorail camera has an accessory shoe that use of small camera as view finder is also possible.

The whole idea of sports finder is simple, just have to think what suits best for me. Ofcourse it would be nice if I could switch finder between the field camera and monorail camera.

Alan Davenport
23-Oct-2009, 08:47
So, any ideas, solutions or perhaps examples?

One of the beautiful things about large format film, is the ability to crop. Frame the scene a bit loosely and fix it in post processing.

jp
23-Oct-2009, 13:11
I wonder if a cheap image intensifier nightvision system might we well suited for viewing the groundglass in the dark. Not so much for focusing but for composition. Not the kind people are fawning over for their darkroom as they are IR based, but the military surplus type.

If you did build a sportfinder, I'd suggest replicating the speed graphic ones. The back sight goes up and down and the front sight goes up and down and it's all marked for parallax. Its not perferct, but it's probably better than a bent up coathanger. parallax is a big issue based on my misuse of the graphic sportfinder before I figured it out.

GPS
23-Oct-2009, 13:16
Parallax is an issue only if the picture is taken at a closer range, not with a camera focused at infinity.