PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 58mm XL

kub
22-Oct-2009, 13:22
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience with this lens on Tech V. I know you need a focusing adapter to use it properly, but I also assume you can make it work without, by using the rear standard to focus it. Is there anyone who uses this combo and want to share stories with this lens, in general?

thanks,

Bob Salomon
22-Oct-2009, 14:02
Using the rear standard to adjust focus is not very practical as it is not easy to ensure that the back is square to the front for focusing purposes. That is why they made the Wide Angle Focusing Device. However, Linhof discontinued that device and the special lensboard for it several years ago. Today Linhof uses a helical focusing mount on a new board for the 47 to 65mm lenses. The one for the 58mm is catalog number 001038. But mounting a lens in it properly would have to be done on an optical bench.
Also be aware that with any lens from 75mm down, with the back in the vertical position, and the bed dropped all the way, and the lens at full rise you will still clip part of the baseboard in the frame. The Technika 3000 has an extra drop position to eliminate this with lenses down to 35mm. There is a modification that Linhof service can do to Master Technika Classic and Master Technika 2000 cameras to have this feature. You can check with Marflex to see if it can be done to a V.

kub
23-Oct-2009, 08:37
Using the rear standard to adjust focus is not very practical as it is not easy to ensure that the back is square to the front for focusing purposes. That is why they made the Wide Angle Focusing Device. However, Linhof discontinued that device and the special lensboard for it several years ago. Today Linhof uses a helical focusing mount on a new board for the 47 to 65mm lenses. The one for the 58mm is catalog number 001038. But mounting a lens in it properly would have to be done on an optical bench.
Also be aware that with any lens from 75mm down, with the back in the vertical position, and the bed dropped all the way, and the lens at full rise you will still clip part of the baseboard in the frame. The Technika 3000 has an extra drop position to eliminate this with lenses down to 35mm. There is a modification that Linhof service can do to Master Technika Classic and Master Technika 2000 cameras to have this feature. You can check with Marflex to see if it can be done to a V.

Thanks Bob for the info. I'm afraid I have to make it work without the mods, don't have any budget for it:-(