PDA

View Full Version : Ansco 5x7 manual

tenderobject
20-Oct-2009, 18:58
hi guys!

sorry if this was posted before or if this post is not appropriate with this section..

i just received my first LF! ansco 5x7 (the gray model). bought if from someone here. so happy with the purchase (although need to research about the petsval lens that comes with it and the camera lol)

i'm looking for a manual. pdf would be fine. anyone here have ansco 5x7 (gray model) and the manual who would like to share? i'm newbie to LF! this is my first one. just want to know the capabilities of this beauty and its limitation. it's very beautiful!

i actually made 2 shots a while ago though its not successful :D since i don't have any idea with the lens opening (guestimation) and how the body really works..

hope someone could share some more info about this camera. especially the manual! :D :)

thank you guys!!!

MIke Sherck
21-Oct-2009, 07:21
I don't know that there was ever a 'manual' for the Ansco 5x7. I've come across sales literature and a one page type written deal that was more likely a classroom instructor's notes, but I've never seen a manual.

If you have a specific question, forum members can most likely answer it.

tenderobject
21-Oct-2009, 17:54
I don't know that there was ever a 'manual' for the Ansco 5x7. I've come across sales literature and a one page type written deal that was more likely a classroom instructor's notes, but I've never seen a manual.

If you have a specific question, forum members can most likely answer it.

ohh thanks mike!

Paul Hamann
22-Oct-2009, 06:01
When I bought my Ansco 5x7 it came with a manual. I no longer have either the camera or the manual. However, to the best of my recollection the manual did not contain any information that was not in any large format how-to book.

MIke Sherck
22-Oct-2009, 07:55
I saw a NOS Ansco 5x7 years ago at an estate auction. There was a glossy printed sheet in the box with the camera containing basic information -- Congratulations on your new camera, this knob's for focusing, etc. but I thought it was more sales literature than a manual. In all honesty, to my way of thinking the operation of a view camera is plain enough that I wouldn't think there's much scope for the sort of traditional manual one gets with, say, a new microwave oven. In the case of a camera it's pretty obvious what each knob does if you turn it a bit. Knowing how to use the camera, that's a different story. I'd recommend Steve Simmons' "Using the View Camera". That will get you started faster than any other way I know of.

Mike

Kevin Crisp
22-Oct-2009, 08:25
Tender -- Those are nice cameras and yours will serve you well. I agree (almost) with those who say everything is obvious about it. Certainly you could read any basic LF text and learn what you need.

The camera has one trick to it, though, and it is one that many, many people don't know about, leading to some gear stripping. The front rise on the camera is geared, which is a nice feature. I haven't had mine in 6+ years but I believe if you are behind the camera the geared rise knob is on the left. After you dial the rise up or down to suit you, the knob pushes in, which locks the front rise adjustment in position. People who don't realize this force the standard up or down and that can strip gears.

Jim Noel
22-Oct-2009, 08:47
Since this is your first foray into LF you might be more pleased with a more modern lens in a usable shutter than the soft focus Petzval. The Petzval design is a soft focus one meant for portraits. It does not have to be an expensive near new one, just something which is intended to be a sharp rather than soft focus.I don't know what you paid for it, but there are those on the collodion forum who would be very interested in the Petzval.

tenderobject
22-Oct-2009, 16:04
I saw a NOS Ansco 5x7 years ago at an estate auction. There was a glossy printed sheet in the box with the camera containing basic information -- Congratulations on your new camera, this knob's for focusing, etc. but I thought it was more sales literature than a manual. In all honesty, to my way of thinking the operation of a view camera is plain enough that I wouldn't think there's much scope for the sort of traditional manual one gets with, say, a new microwave oven. In the case of a camera it's pretty obvious what each knob does if you turn it a bit. Knowing how to use the camera, that's a different story. I'd recommend Steve Simmons' "Using the View Camera". That will get you started faster than any other way I know of.

Mike

hey mike, yeah im considering buying steve simmons book. i'm on the look now! thanks again! :)

tenderobject
22-Oct-2009, 16:06
Tender -- Those are nice cameras and yours will serve you well. I agree (almost) with those who say everything is obvious about it. Certainly you could read any basic LF text and learn what you need.

The camera has one trick to it, though, and it is one that many, many people don't know about, leading to some gear stripping. The front rise on the camera is geared, which is a nice feature. I haven't had mine in 6+ years but I believe if you are behind the camera the geared rise knob is on the left. After you dial the rise up or down to suit you, the knob pushes in, which locks the front rise adjustment in position. People who don't realize this force the standard up or down and that can strip gears.

hi kevin, yeah i noticed this a while ago.. looks like the front gear is much complicated if its forced.. atleast i know a few movements now! just need a few more info to get started again.. i think im gonna love this format so much!

tenderobject
22-Oct-2009, 16:10
Since this is your first foray into LF you might be more pleased with a more modern lens in a usable shutter than the soft focus Petzval. The Petzval design is a soft focus one meant for portraits. It does not have to be an expensive near new one, just something which is intended to be a sharp rather than soft focus.I don't know what you paid for it, but there are those on the collodion forum who would be very interested in the Petzval.

i've searched about these lenses prior to the purchase actually.. i'm much more pleased with old style photographs but i will definately get another one for landscape and atleast with shutter for other purposes :D thansk a lot guys!!!

Kevin Crisp
22-Oct-2009, 17:01
If you remove the block that the front slides back and forth against for front shift, the front will swing both ways. Admittedly the front is not as sturdy that way, so it is a compromise, but I found the front was good enough with this modification. If you want it rock solid you could always clamp it after making adjustments.

Jim C.
22-Oct-2009, 22:42

Kevin,
That sounds similar to what my Kodak 2D has except that it's opposite from what you
describe, pull out to lock front rise and pushed in engages the gear rack for movement
I would guess the Ansco would be similar since it resembles the Kodak 2D.