PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a lens to a Graflex RB Super D?

joshdaskew
20-Oct-2009, 11:24
Hi, I am looking at buying one of these cameras and intend using it for portraits, shot on Fuji 5 x 4 Instant Film (and Polaroid if it ever makes a comeback). I was just wondering if you can attach a lens to it that is not the standard (a 190mm 4.5 I think). I have a Xenotar 150mm 2.8 that I would like to attach, as I am shooting pretty much wide open all the time. Failing that, I have a Xenotar 135mm 3.5 that would also be nice. I also have a Chamonix 45N-1 and was wondering if the Graflex could be modified so that I could take the lens on and off, enabling its use on both cameras. Also, anyone had any experience with replacing the screen on the Graflex with a brighter one? Ok, thanks so much. Best Regards Josh.

Dan Fromm
20-Oct-2009, 12:15
Josh, the lenses you mentioned don't have long enough back focus to focus very far away on a 4x5 Graflex.

Lens & Repro will overhaul a Graflex as you need it done, i.e., replace the Graflex back with a Graflok, might be able to add a brighter screen. I could be mistaken, don't think there are any polaroid holders that will fit a Graflex back.

Frank R
20-Oct-2009, 13:09
Bob Zeichner has a nice one for sale here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=54568

If the size is right, you can build an adaptor board to fit both.

Bosaiya
20-Oct-2009, 15:34
If you're only interested in typical portrait-distances you can get away with a shorter lens, but they won't focus to infinity. Of course you could always just build up a collection of lenses like most nut-jobs who are into those cameras do. Since they're on removable lens boards you can stock up.

No Polaroid Graflex backs. I've seen some conversions, though. If you're set on Polaroid-style films you'll either want to pony up for a Grafloc or bust out the saws and screws.

You can replace the screen with whatever you want. I've done it myself, it's not much more complicated than removing a couple of screws and cutting the glass or whatever you want to use.

The nice thing about those old cameras is they're very easy to modify and tinker with. Too much so, I sometimes think...

Robert A. Zeichner
20-Oct-2009, 15:48
Hi, I am looking at buying one of these cameras and intend using it for portraits, shot on Fuji 5 x 4 Instant Film (and Polaroid if it ever makes a comeback). I was just wondering if you can attach a lens to it that is not the standard (a 190mm 4.5 I think). I have a Xenotar 150mm 2.8 that I would like to attach, as I am shooting pretty much wide open all the time. Failing that, I have a Xenotar 135mm 3.5 that would also be nice. I also have a Chamonix 45N-1 and was wondering if the Graflex could be modified so that I could take the lens on and off, enabling its use on both cameras. Also, anyone had any experience with replacing the screen on the Graflex with a brighter one? Ok, thanks so much. Best Regards Josh.

To do this with Instant film, you will need a Graflex that has been converted to have a Graflok back that takes standard film holders or you will have to have the conversion done to an existing camera. The Graflex takes a "B" size board and I have an extra one that I will include which I modified with a reduction panel cut for a 203mm Ektar. I did this so I could use a lens with a leaf shutter for certain applications. The 190 is actually a pretty nice portrait lens for 4x5, but that's just my opinion. It might be possible to make or have made a reduction board for a Chamonix that would allow you to use "B" boards in both, but it seems to me that it would be fairly easy to just move the lens from one board to the other as needed unless you intend to have lots of lenses.

Arthur Nichols
20-Oct-2009, 17:35
Richard Ritter modified my D series to take standard Canham boards. I had to lose the little flaps on the side that hold the cover at right angles to the front. It also gives a little more on the focal length. I also had him put some front tilt and drop. I am working on a project where I am photographing the top of bodies of water. As such the DOF needed is very little since it is a plane that I am photgraphing. Having the front tilt on the Graflex allows me to use the fastest shutter speed possible with the widest opening and still maintain a sharp plane of focus. Richard did a great job and I would recommend him to anyone.
Art

joshdaskew
21-Oct-2009, 07:25
Ok, Thanks so much for all your responses! Much appreciated! I have a few more questions, does the back revolve to take horizontal/vertical pictures? Also, if I could find a way to standardise the lens boards, does this camera allow me to use different focal length lenses? Currently, I have a 75mm, 90mm, 135mm 150mm, 210mm and a 300mm. Really, I am only looking to use the 150mm Xenotar and probably wouldn't really be looking to go wider than a full standing portrait, so the fact that it can't focus to infinity should be fine. How much would I be looking at to have it converted to a Grafloc back? Also, does this camera have its own shutter and therefore lets you use barrel type lenses? Will it matter if the Xenotar has a shutter of its own? Ok, thanks so much for all your responses, am fairly new to this stuff so it is greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

Bosaiya
21-Oct-2009, 07:37
Ok, Thanks so much for all your responses! Much appreciated! I have a few more questions, does the back revolve to take horizontal/vertical pictures? Also, if I could find a way to standardise the lens boards, does this camera allow me to use different focal length lenses? Currently, I have a 75mm, 90mm, 135mm 150mm, 210mm and a 300mm. Really, I am only looking to use the 150mm Xenotar and probably wouldn't really be looking to go wider than a full standing portrait, so the fact that it can't focus to infinity should be fine. How much would I be looking at to have it converted to a Grafloc back? Also, does this camera have its own shutter and therefore lets you use barrel type lenses? Will it matter if the Xenotar has a shutter of its own? Ok, thanks so much for all your responses, am fairly new to this stuff so it is greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

There's a little nubbin on the right side near the tensioning knob. Press that in and the back will rotate clockwise into horizontal from vertical and vice-versa. Not all models rotate. The ones that do are typically called "RB Graflex..." and the model.

If you want to swap out lenses and boards get a Series D or a Super D. The earlier models had removable lenses but not boards (there may be exceptions, but generally speaking...). The boards are pretty simple to make, I get a small sheet of hobby wood at the hardware store and cut it to size. Just look at the board that comes with it and you'll figure it out, it's not hard.

It has a shutter, yes. Barrel lenses are just about your only option. If you use the shutter on the lens you'll need to set the shutter on the camera to Open first, otherwise the light won't reach the film.

There's a lot of good info on http://www.graflex.org including a forum dedicated the the Graflex SLRs.

As for converting it to Graflock, expect to pay significantly more than the camera itself cost. SK Grimes does it, or you can go to Lens & Repro and buy one pre-done.

Dan Fromm
21-Oct-2009, 08:21
Josh, think hard about how much extension you'll have. I don't know for sure, but if the camera will focus a 190 to infinity minimum extension is probably around 40 mm more than needed to focus a 150 to infinity. If so, minimum magnification with a 150 will be a bit more than 1:4. Is this what you want?

If I were you I'd beg Super D owners to report on the camera's minimum extension and I'd check y'r 150's flange-to-film distance at infinity before I spent a penny on a Super D. Its your money, but I wouldn't hazard mine in the hope that things would work out ...

Bosaiya
21-Oct-2009, 08:24
Josh, think hard about how much extension you'll have. I don't know for sure, but if the camera will focus a 190 to infinity minimum extension is probably around 40 mm more than needed to focus a 150 to infinity. If so, minimum magnification with a 150 will be a bit more than 1:4. Is this what you want?

If I were you I'd beg Super D owners to report on the camera's minimum extension and I'd check y'r 150's flange-to-film distance at infinity before I spent a penny on a Super D. Its your money, but I wouldn't hazard mine in the hope that things would work out ...

Where's your sense of adventure?

Send me the lens with return postage and I'll stick on a few cameras and take some photos so you can see exactly what you're in for.

Dan Fromm
21-Oct-2009, 09:25
Where's your sense of adventure?

Send me the lens with return postage and I'll stick on a few cameras and take some photos so you can see exactly what you're in for.Thanks for the kind offer to play with a lens I don't own. I'm not the guy with the 150 Xenotar who wants to use it on a 4x5 RB Series D. I'm sure I'm nuts, but probably not as nuts as he is.

Cheers,

Dan

Bosaiya
21-Oct-2009, 09:28
Thanks for the kind offer to play with a lens I don't own. I'm not the guy with the 150 Xenotar who wants to use it on a 4x5 RB Series D. I'm sure I'm nuts, but probably not as nuts as he is.

Cheers,

Dan

I knew it wasn't you who owned the lens but I figured he'd be reading the thread.

Bosaiya
21-Oct-2009, 09:44
Here, let me try this again to avoid any possible confusion.

Josh, Dan is right, these cameras can make lens selection a bit trickier than what you might be used to. It's best to try before you buy. Then again, if you buy it you'll have another camera to play with and they're lots of fun, so there's that.

Short of begging owners, here's a few options to consider.

Option one: You could send the lens to me and I'll see if I can make it work and report back.

Option two: I can send a camera to you and you can try it for yourself.

Option three: Find someone close to you who has one and try it that way.

The third option is obviously the least expensive, but depending on where you live may not be available to you. The second option is the most expensive but you get to try it out yourself. The first option is the least expensive and I have some experience getting odd lenses to fit these cameras.