PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 color film availability?

benrains
18-Oct-2009, 11:20
I mostly shoot b&w but I've a project I'd like to shoot with 5x7 color negative film. It doesn't seem to be available through any of the online vendors I normally use for my b&w sheet film purchases. Is it no longer available?

csant
18-Oct-2009, 11:23
There was a thread with approximately the same topic just a few weeks ago, with several links to retailers and sources.

Mike1234
18-Oct-2009, 11:30
Many people are cutting 8x10 down to 5x7.

benrains
18-Oct-2009, 11:35

With the cost of the film, I'm not sure I'd trust myself to cut it to correct tolerances in total darkness :-) I found that earlier thread as well- http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=54036

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
18-Oct-2009, 12:33
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/260237-USA/Kodak_1355825_Portra_160NC_5x7_50_Sheets.html

Please keep this film in this size alive and available by buying it from
B&H

jbenedict
18-Oct-2009, 14:00
With the cost of the film, I'm not sure I'd trust myself to cut it to correct tolerances in total darkness :-) I found that earlier thread as well- http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=54036

With the general availability of 5x7 these days, this is a skill I think many of us rectangular guys are gonna have to develop.

I have a couple of 3.25x4.25 cameras and developed the technique years ago. I put a guide on the rototrimmer and cut one side of all the films and put them in the box. Turn on the lights, reset the rototrimmer guide for the other dimension, turn off the lights and get on it.

If possible, don't cut off the notches. Making 5x7 out of 8x10, it's unavoidable so cut off the corner so the cut corner is on the same side of the film as the notches to keep the emulsion side up.

benrains
18-Oct-2009, 18:42
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/260237-USA/Kodak_1355825_Portra_160NC_5x7_50_Sheets.html

Please keep this film in this size alive and available by buying it from
B&H

Yes sir! I'm glad, and actually quite surprised, that they're offering it in 50 sheet boxes.

Nick Russell
24-Oct-2009, 11:54
Oh no! I just went to buy some today and found that B&H has increased the minimum order to 30 boxes.

If only I had $6298.50 lying around...

Ben Syverson
24-Oct-2009, 13:48
With the cost of 8x10 film, it seems a waste to cut it down. 8x10 gear is not so much bigger than 5x7...

benrains
24-Oct-2009, 14:54
Oh no! I just went to buy some today and found that B&H has increased the minimum order to 30 boxes.

If only I had $6298.50 lying around...

Yeah, I noticed that. They must be targeting other film resellers with that sort of minimum qty. As an individual, a box or two is not a huge problem, but 30 boxes is out of the question for an up front expense.

dsphotog
24-Oct-2009, 19:43
I would guess 30 boxes is now Kodak's min. order. BH can't stock slow moving products that are likely to go out of date before selling.
It's a matter of (not much) time before Kodak pulls the plug on products like this.
Looks like that digital stuff is catching on.

Mike1234
26-Oct-2009, 02:45
Maybe it's time for a "Group Buy". :)

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
26-Oct-2009, 04:05
I must have gotten two of B&H's last batch. The exp. date is 12.2010. So it is still rather fresh. Color Services in Needham MA http://www.colorservicesinc.com/ organized a bulk order for 5x7" PORTRA NC early last year. They might be friendly enough to do this again if B&H decides not to stock it any more.

K14
26-Oct-2009, 06:14
I've been shooting Velvia but would go in for a group buy if I knew a place that processes c41. That is unless you all process this stuff at home. :)

Another thought is we could give Kodak a call and see what their minimum is? They might be willing to deal a 10 or 20 box minimum.

Gary

ljsegil
26-Oct-2009, 09:20
I think we better organize a group buy and maybe quickly. Only last week I put a couple of boxes of Portra in my B&H cart, but didn't pull the trigger, and I could just kick myself now. This is great stuff, produces, beautiful images, and I want it! But I don't think I'm going to live long enough to use 1500 sheets of film. Anybody want in on a group buy?
And anybody have any connections at B&H that can explain this, or maybe even they can lean on for leniency?
Larry, much distressed

Mike1234
26-Oct-2009, 09:55
I think we better organize a group buy and maybe quickly. ... Anybody want in on a group buy?

Maybe soon... but I'm still on the fence as to what format camera to buy and until I have a camera on the way I'm not quite ready.

K14
26-Oct-2009, 10:25
The lab who processes my transparencies also does C-41, who knew. :p I would commit for 1 box. A box of Velvia 20 sheets costs about $125 and twice the price of c-41 to process. I would say that is a good deal! I haven't compared Velvia to Protra NC but probably won't see the strong color saturation in NC. Now if this was 160 VC, I would take couple of boxes.:D

ljsegil
26-Oct-2009, 16:52
I spoke with a representative from B&H, who confirmed that their new minimum order size for 50 sheet boxes of Portra 160NC 5x7 sheet film is in fact 30 boxes, the online listing is not a mistake. He claims that the change was mandated by Kodak who will no longer handle smaller orders. Funny, I thought I was buying the film from B&H, but who knows? Unless another source for film surfaces in the near future, I would be very anxious to put together a group of interested buyers in order to stockpile some film, and soon, as my guess is that this is the prelude to the discontinuation of yet another offering from Kodak. Portra is too good to let slip away. Anybody interested can respond via the forum or by PMing me, I'm sure we can work out the logistics.
Long live real color and dynamic range (and righteous rage??!!)!
Larry

benrains
26-Oct-2009, 17:50
From what I've seen of B&H lately, even with their electronics, they seem to be scaling back on the items they keep in inventory. Just another sign of the times, but sadly it's a move that puts another dagger in the back of products like this.

With the large mainstream distributors abandoned traditional film products, and the smaller suppliers not having the money to buy the minimum quantities, one route to go would be to create a specialized photographic materials cooperative that'd be focused on ordering stuff with sizable minimum orders (the list of items seems to be getting longer all the time.) I could imagine it being setup in such a way that members would be able to buy the materials at or near cost, and then non-members, be they individuals or even other companies, could buy the materials at a markup with profits going towards future bulk purchases.

It'd require a modest amount of startup capital, and someone dedicated to running it, but I think it'd be a boon to however many hundreds or thousands of us there are who still shoot LF and ULF. (I'm not volunteering as I've neither the time, the money, or the business skills :-) Just saying I think it's a good idea.

r.e.
26-Oct-2009, 19:06
This is a little disconcerting. I spoke with B+H on the 19th, at which time I ordered two boxes of Portra and two of HP5+. We talked about the minimum order for Delta posted on their web site. The man with whom I spoke, who I think worked in the film department, said nothing about an imminent minimum order for Portra.

prado333
27-Oct-2009, 10:32
if anyone make a list i will help with 2 or 3 boxes.

benrains
27-Oct-2009, 15:01
With the large mainstream distributors abandoned traditional film products, and the smaller suppliers not having the money to buy the minimum quantities, one route to go would be to create a specialized photographic materials cooperative that'd be focused on ordering stuff with sizable minimum orders (the list of items seems to be getting longer all the time.) I could imagine it being setup in such a way that members would be able to buy the materials at or near cost, and then non-members, be they individuals or even other companies, could buy the materials at a markup with profits going towards future bulk purchases.

It occurred to me that a more sensible and immediate approach would be to arrange for a consolidated purchase through one of the existing small resellers (i.e. Badger Graphic or the View Camera Store). I think they've done this in the past for other other special film orders. To mitigate the risk of such an expensive film order, maybe the purchase could be done with pre-pay terms. People would wanted to buy boxes of film would pay for it up front and then when orders for 30 boxes had been reached (or some reasonable fraction of that) the film would be ordered from Kodak and shipped to the individuals from the reseller.

It's not perfect in that you may end up waiting a while until you receive your film, but I think it's better than not having any way to purchase it in small quantities. Other benefits are that it helps out the reseller involved and it will let Kodak know the product is still being used.

Mike1234
27-Oct-2009, 16:36
Good idea, Ben. :)

ljsegil
27-Oct-2009, 17:56
Agree Ben, that would be an ideal way to go. In fact, I tried to contact Jeff at Badger yesterday but he is traveling and will not be back in the store until first thing Thursday (and I'll be trying to call him as early as I can get a break to get to a phone). I don't think it would hurt for him to hear from many interested parties. Another person who occurs to me as a possible agent (but I have not tried to call and have not dealt with as much as I have with Jeff) would be Jim at Midwest Photo. I have no idea if a bigger but large format friendly outfit like Freestyle would take on a project like this (and I have personal contacts there at all, I've only ever ordered online).
I was also going to try Kodak customer relations (or whatever they may call themselves) though I don't expect much help there.
We'll keep plugging.
Larry

ljsegil
30-Oct-2009, 13:08
I spoke with Jeff at Badger Graphic Sales today, and he is willing to assist us in putting together a group order for the 5x7 Portra 160NC. His procedure couldn't be simpler. Call him at the store (800) 558-5350 and let him know how many boxes you would like to order. When a sufficient quantity is accumulated he will place the order with Kodak. He anticipates that his price ought to be the same as B&H has been charging...Kodak permitting of course.
At any rate, this is very good news for those of us who want to continue to be able to shoot 5x7 Portra.
Larry

ljsegil
1-Nov-2009, 08:38
Rude bump to maximize exposure of above information for purchasing Portra 5x7 film.
LJS

jbenedict
4-Aug-2014, 22:12
Keith Canham puts in an order for 5x7 color negative when he gets enough people who want it, I think he s trying to round up people to get some 5x7 color negative right now- 50 sheet boxes .

He just placed an order for 5x7 Portra. Don't know if any of you guys could get some but you could ask him. It is about $400 for a 50 sheet box . He doesn't know the exact price down to the penny until he orders it.

See his website for more details of his arrangement. I think he will be able to get most any size of Kodak negative film- color and b&w- into the foreseeable future.

Canham uses Facebook to communicate and this is his pageL

https://www.facebook.com/pages/K-B-Canham-Cameras-Inc/131324393576850?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

He has a website at http://www.canhamcameras.com/

Dirk Rösler
4-Nov-2014, 05:54
Hi, FYi apparently <10 boxes to go for minimum order quantity. Contact kodakfilm@canhamcameras.com

LF_rookie_to_be
4-Nov-2014, 07:09
If you can live with higher contrast of unmasked colour negative film, here's what's available directly from Agfa in Belgium:

EELSF - AVI COLOR X100 PE1 12,60CM X 46M AE365 E
Exp. date : 10/2014
Price : €185 /roll (possibly lower)
MOQ : 1 roll

Price per sheet amounts to about $1 or even less, but you have to cut 'em yourself.

Dirk Rösler
4-Nov-2014, 08:13
Interesting, any samples anywhere what results looks like?

LF_rookie_to_be
4-Nov-2014, 08:54
Interesting, any samples anywhere what results looks like?

None I found, but there are tons of examples of the 400 ASA version, X400 - repackaged as "Rollei Digibase CN200". Whether the difference is just less grain in favour of X100, I don't know.

Dirk Rösler
4-Nov-2014, 13:27
Thanks -- Data sheets here

http://www.agfa.com/sp/global/en/internet/main/products_services/all_products/aviphotcolor_chrome.jsp

But where do you buy this stuff?

LF_rookie_to_be
4-Nov-2014, 22:47
But where do you buy this stuff?

Directly from Agfa-Gevaert in Belgium. They're a little slow replying to mails, but will eventually send you their list of overstock films and papers, with no minimum order quantity for most items.