PDA

View Full Version : Using Old Copy Camera for Photos

wallflower
16-Oct-2009, 14:20
Hi guys, I'm new to the site!

I work at a print shop that still has old equipment just sitting around. We have a Kenro Model 2600 copy camera that's just collecting dust and my boss said I could take it home if I wanted it.

I'm curious, has anyone ever tried using an old copy camera as a "large format" camera? Below is an image of a very similar model to what we have. The bellows and lens are still fine, but I'm not really sure where to start. Any suggestions or questions would be appreciated.

And hopefully I'm posting this in the correct forum!

BarryS
16-Oct-2009, 14:38
Welcome to the site. The old fashioned wood and brass copy cameras can sometimes be turned into usable studio cameras, but I don't see how you could use that monster. I'd probably just remove the lens and bellows and call it a day.

JohnGC
16-Oct-2009, 17:54
I agree, I turned down a free copy camera this past spring. The thing was hardly used with some parts still in their original packaging. I just got the lens, someone else took the lights and bellows, and he sold the camera for scrap. Its a shame really...but I'm happy with the lens!

edited to add: Welcome aboard!

Donald Miller
16-Oct-2009, 18:12
It might have more use as an enlarger of sorts. You might try adding a diffusion light source above the lens and project onto the copy board.

Jim C.
16-Oct-2009, 21:49
I guess I'll be the only positive voice so far, you could probably turn it into a studio camera with a lot of machining work for front and rear movements and building a stand that would support it horizontally not to mention making a film holder back for it, if you were up to the task.
On the plus side you would have the only LF camera that will shoot from 4X5 to 11 X 14 and have motorized focus to boot !

bill kehoe
16-Oct-2009, 22:54
one last idea: we had one of these at art school years ago. we'd use it - go figure - as a copy camera. for our alternative processes class, we'd make enlarged negatives of any print from other photo classes we thought might look good as a platinum print, cyanotype, etc. mostly we used ortho film with or without a dot matrix screen. as i recall ortho worked especially well for gum bichromate. for processes requiring a lot a negative density i don't see why regular sheet film couldn't be used. a lot easier than the internegative route and the dodging/ burning is already done on the original print. you have to like alternative processes though.

dsphotog
16-Oct-2009, 23:01
Have fun with it!
Use it for shooting close up, still life, flowers, etc.
I have a horiz. camera with a 10 foot rail, it came from a newspaper.

bobwysiwyg
17-Oct-2009, 02:41
Have fun with it!
Use it for shooting close up, still life, flowers, etc.
I have a horiz. camera with a 10 foot rail, it came from a newspaper.

Wow! Ten foot rail? Would love to see a picture of it all set up.

Lachlan 717
17-Oct-2009, 02:47
Machine a 35mm roll film back for it, just 'coz you can!!!

Neil_4793
17-Oct-2009, 08:28
WoW; I have the exact same camera. My plans are for an enlarger. Please keep us informed as what tack you take.
-Neil

wallflower
19-Oct-2009, 05:54
I'm giving some serious thought to an enlarger, and I really appreciate everyone's feedback. If I ever get anywhere with it I'll be sure to post images!

Brian Ellis
19-Oct-2009, 08:56
As Bill mentioned, you can use a copy camera to make enlarged negatives from smaller prints, which is kind of nice if you get into alternative printing methods. That's what we did in my alt process class in school. But I don't think I'd want to deal with this monster just for that since making digital enlarged negatives will give you better results.