PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon W or CM-W

spacegoose
13-Oct-2009, 06:37
I'm considering a Fujinon 150mm and am wondering what the differences are between the W and CM-W?

Thanks,
sm

sanking
13-Oct-2009, 07:05
I'm considering a Fujinon 150mm and am wondering what the differences are between the W and CM-W?

Thanks,
sm

From what I know of these lenses the Fujinon W is an older lens than the CM-W, but has slightly more coverage. Early versions of the Fujinon W were single coated, later versions multi coated. I believe that all CM-W lenses were multi coated, but am not positive about that.

Sandy King

Gem Singer
13-Oct-2009, 07:14
The Fujinon CM-W is the latest series of lenses that Fuji offers. It replaces the W series.

Newer manufacturing techniques and EBC coating allows for fewer cemented glass surfaces in the CM-W lenses.

A few of the specs. have changed. The CM-W's Copal shutters are the latest types.

However, an EBC coated "W" in good condition is still a great lens. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to see the difference between the two series when looking at a print.

See: www.willwilson.com/byfl.htm for specs of Fujinon lenses.

venchka
13-Oct-2009, 07:32
Here's some more information.

http://gregwphoto.com/fujinonCat_1988.pdf

Image circle and filter size changed over the years. Like Eugene said, it might take a laboratory to extract any difference in the prints. I own 2 Fujinon-W multi-coated lenses and like both of them.

spacegoose
13-Oct-2009, 08:28
Thanks for the info everyone.

Drew Wiley
13-Oct-2009, 13:02
All the smaller CMW's are standardized on a 67mm filter. But optically, any of the "W"
and "NW" lenses are equal, top notch, in fact, if multi-coated, which they have been
for some time.

Nick_3536
13-Oct-2009, 13:43
The in demand W are all single coated aren't they? While it doesn't matter for 4x5 the W are good cheap wide angles for the larger formats.

ic-racer
13-Oct-2009, 13:49
Some more info here: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/GermFuj.html

My main 4x5 lens is a black ringed 150 Fujinon-W as shown on that page.

Drew Wiley
13-Oct-2009, 16:05
Nick - there are plenty of multi-coated "W"'s. Usually if the lettering is on the outside
of the lens barrel they are MC, but might or might not specifically state EBC-coated.
In recent decades only the L-series tessars were single-coated.

David Karp
13-Oct-2009, 16:40
The true "W" series were single coated and have the larger image circles. The multicoated "W" series (these are the ones with lettering on the outside of the barrel) are technically the "NW" series, although Fuji never included "NW" on the barrel or anywhere on the lens itself. I think that these are truly underrated lenses. They may be older, but they are small, generally have really nice coverage, and as mentioned above, I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between a photo made with one of these and the most current Fujinons. I have two NW (125 and 150) and one W (180). The 125 and 150 both take 52mm lenses and are as nice a lens as I have ever used. The 180 makes a nice wide lens for my WP camera.

For information on all Fujinon lens series, check this site out: www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm

Drew Wiley
14-Oct-2009, 09:28
The Fuji literature itself can be confusing. There were brochures which specifically listed "WS" as well as "NWS" lenses as multicoated, and sometimes I have encountered lenses like the 250/6.7 which were allegedly not MC, yet I owned a MC
example myself! When in doubt with lenses made during the transition years, visually
check for the secondary reflection hues which indicate MC. Otherwise, if the lettering
is on the outside of the barrel, it's probably MC. But that older 250/6.7 was indeed nice because it would cover 8X10 much more comfortably than the 6.3 version.

77seriesiii
17-Oct-2009, 12:35
Not to leave out a Fuji Lens site, this one has helped me alot:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm

./e

David Karp
17-Oct-2009, 16:28
And Kerry wrote a very informative article published in View Camera Magazine years ago.

Rodney Polden
17-Oct-2009, 17:19
I understand that the lenses marked WS were simply part of Fuji's practice of labelling those W lenses that were shutter-mounted. They abandoned the habit after a while it seems. My 250 f6.7 is marked WS. The NWS lenses came later.

venchka
17-Oct-2009, 19:27
... But that older 250/6.7 was indeed nice because it would cover 8X10 much more comfortably than the 6.3 version.

Which explains the big difference in price. ;)