PDA

View Full Version : Dallas/Ft.Worth get together.

Gem Singer
9-Oct-2009, 07:00
The DFW large format group is planning another get together on Sat., Oct.24th.

We will meet at the Main Street Bakery in Grapevine at 9 AM.

Bring prints, and/or items of interest such as cameras and useful gadgets for show-and-tell.

Great opportunity to meet fellow photogs and share experiences.

William McEwen
9-Oct-2009, 10:29
I'm in!

Do you have the actual address of the Main St. Bakery? (Don't laugh.)

bigdog
9-Oct-2009, 10:36
http://www.themainbakery.com/

William McEwen
9-Oct-2009, 10:42
http://www.themainbakery.com/

Thanks.

316 S. Main Street
Grapevine, TX 76051

Steaphany
9-Oct-2009, 11:45
Sasha and I will be there.

Sasha will be bringing an item for show & tell

Jeremy Moore
9-Oct-2009, 19:57
Oooh, sounds like fun and I have a commercial shoot that night so it will get the photographic primed early.

I'll try to remember and bring some prints and usually have my camera in the car.

Gem Singer
10-Oct-2009, 11:39
Hi Jeremy,

Glad to see that you are planning to attend. Last time i saw you, you were still single.

We made arrangements with the Main Street Bakery for as many as 25 people.

Bring friends. The more, the merrier.

Jeremy Moore
10-Oct-2009, 14:17
Hi Jeremy,
Last time i saw you, you were still single.

Wowsers, it has been a while!

Gem Singer
11-Oct-2009, 13:44
We'd like to get a rough idea of how many will be there.

Chime in if you are planning on attending.

brian mcweeney
11-Oct-2009, 15:16
I'd like to make it there and meet everyone.

RmFrase
11-Oct-2009, 17:30
I'd also like to come and meet.

Gem Singer
11-Oct-2009, 17:46
You are more than welcome to join us.

Looks like it will be a very interesting get together.

Gem Singer
12-Oct-2009, 08:05
Just a reminder.

Looks like we're going to have a large turn out.

Hope you can be there.

Ed Brock
12-Oct-2009, 08:22
My guide-dog "Vermont" & I would like to attend (I still have enough vision to focus that Canham!) I am fairly new to LF -5 years, but have perfected a way to process sheet film - up to about a doz sheets at a time - in a daylight roll film tank. (I will bring for show&tell.) This will be our first "meet-up" with other LF photographers and I'm looking forward to it.

Gem Singer
12-Oct-2009, 09:39
Hi Ed,

I need to check with the Main Street Bakery to verify that the Grapevine Dept. of Health will allow a guide dog in the premises.

The bakery is also a restaurant where food is being prepared and served.

I'll let you know when I find out for certain.

Robert Fisher
12-Oct-2009, 10:02
Federal regulations require access to guide dogs - your Dept. of Health nor anyone else can prevent a guide dog access to this business.

bigdog
12-Oct-2009, 13:01
I'm planning to come. Don't know what I'll bring for show and tell, tho ...

jeephoto
12-Oct-2009, 17:29
I'm hoping to come. I had fun at the last meet-up in Grapevine.

I'm real interested in learning more about developing sheet film in a daylight roll film tank.

Larry

anchored
13-Oct-2009, 08:32
I'll be attending... will try to bring a couple of prints for Show and Tell.

Glenn

Mike Castles
13-Oct-2009, 15:20
Thanks to David B (as in Bigdog) for alerting me to this, will try to make it and bring the Ritter 7x11/8x10 for those interested in seeing one of Richards fine cameras.

Gem Singer
14-Oct-2009, 07:37
Hope you can make it Mike.

We've been looking forward to seeing a Richard Ritter camera.

Mike Castles
14-Oct-2009, 15:48
Thanks, Gem will do my best to make it...know there has been some interest by some in Richards work and it is always better to see one than just read about them - lol.

Gem Singer
17-Oct-2009, 15:18
So far, we have approx.14 people who are planning on attending.

We visited the Grapevine Main Street Bakery this morning in order to prepare them to receive our group next Sat., the 24th.

Since some of us will be ordering breakfast, the manager of the bakery requested that we begin our get together at 8:00-8:30AM, instead of 9:00AM, in order to avoid the usual crowd of locals that begins to build up around 9AM on Saturday mornings.

Therefore, if you are planning on ordering one of their wonderful breakfasts, get there between 8:00 and 8:30AM.

He also stated that the guide dog would not be a problem, since we will be meeting in the back room.

We already have more attendees than we anticipated. The more, the better.

Looking forward to meeting fellow LF enthusiasts here in the DFW metroplex.

BetterSense
17-Oct-2009, 20:06
If more is better, then I'll come. Unless wifey has some other plans for me next saturday. She might even want to come. Are wifes allowed?

Gem Singer
17-Oct-2009, 20:11
Yes, wives are welcome. as are anyone who is interested in large format photography.

Or anybody who just wants to eat a great French style breakfast.

Gem Singer
21-Oct-2009, 11:32
Just a bump to remind you of the get together this coming Sat. morning, the 24th.

If you plan on eating breakfast, please arrive early, 8-8:30 AM, in order to give the restaurant time to prepare and serve before the crowd arrives.

It's shaping up to be a very interesting morning.

See y'all there.

William McEwen
22-Oct-2009, 12:49
I'm planning to be there if I can get my lazy you know what out of bed! Really looking forward to it! - William

Jeremy Moore
22-Oct-2009, 13:21
I'm still planning on being there and will bring a couple of recent prints that I can easily get my hands on. Been injured and am on pain killers so it's hit or miss on whether I'll be there because I won't be able to drive if I have to take them Saturday morning.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2791/4035661644_55aeecc441_o.jpg

jeephoto
22-Oct-2009, 18:00
Sorry, I won't be able to make it after all. Something came up at the last minute. Maybe another time.

I would, however, like to know more about the previous poster's technique for developing 4x5 film in a daylight tank.

Have fun, y'all.

Larry

Jeremy Moore
22-Oct-2009, 18:45
Don't know why I put a picture in the previous post, must be said painkillers :rolleyes:

Colin Graham
22-Oct-2009, 18:50
Glad you did though, it's a good one.

William McEwen
23-Oct-2009, 05:13
Don't know why I put a picture in the previous post, must be said painkillers :rolleyes:

We hope you'll be there on Saturday, painkillers or not...

Jeremy Moore
23-Oct-2009, 11:02
Just a note for those driving on I-35W, tomorrow is the beginning of Alliance Airport's annual air show so expect there to be more people on the road.

bigdog
23-Oct-2009, 11:27
OK, I finally decided what to bring for "Show and Tell". It's not "technically" large format, but I'll bet it will be the only one like it.

And, to satisfy multiple money-sucking hobbies; after I leave this gathering, I'm heading to Mesquite for the Woodworking Show!

If I had time to do the Alliance air show, I could cover the Metroplex ... :p

Steaphany
23-Oct-2009, 20:54
Sasha and I will probably skip breakfast, but should still arrive around 8:30-ish.

RmFrase
24-Oct-2009, 10:14
Enjoyed meeting everyone there, and look forward to getting together again soon. -Robert

Gem Singer
24-Oct-2009, 11:13
Approx. fifteen people attended. More than we hoped for.

Made several new acquaintances. Learned a few new tricks. Got to handle the new Ritter 8X10 camera.

All in all, it was a great experience. We'll have to do it again soon.

Many thanks to those who showed up.

Darren H
24-Oct-2009, 13:34
I had fun and good to meet other large format folks.

Here is an image of the above mentioned 8x10. A very nice camera indeed.

Steaphany
24-Oct-2009, 14:04
I had a great time, and this is well worth the 200 mile round trip drive.

In regard to Ed Brock's Soft Taco Large Format Processing Method, I found B & H Photo carries the Paterson Multireel developing tanks along with other Paterson darkroom tools:

Paterson products carried by B & H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Paterson&N=0&InitialSearch=yes)

William McEwen
24-Oct-2009, 14:38
Good to meet all of you. I enjoyed it a lot.

And thanks for letting me know about the Texas Churches video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrrDMvDKEgA

Nicely done.

William

Jeremy Moore
24-Oct-2009, 15:55
Slept right through this morning :confused:

I'm there for the next one.

brian mcweeney
24-Oct-2009, 16:56
I enjoyed meeting everyone today and hope to do it again soon.

Gem Singer
24-Oct-2009, 17:03
We missed you Jeremy.

Your name came up in a conversation with David Brown and Mike Castles.

Hope you are feeling better.

See you at our next get together.

William McEwen
24-Oct-2009, 19:12
We missed you Jeremy.

Your name came up in a conversation with David Brown and Mike Castles.

Even the waitress was asking about you...

Mike Castles
24-Oct-2009, 19:29
It was a pleasure meeting everyone, and must say I was very impressed with the work that was shown and the inventiveness of Ed's processing technique.

There are more photographs and some of my impressions on the Ritter that may be found on my Rambles page below...

brian mcweeney
27-Nov-2009, 15:33
I figured this would be as good place as any to post a photo of some of these DFW large formatters getting together. This was 3 of the 4 people shooting near downtown Fort Worth. I enjoyed it.

anchored
27-Nov-2009, 19:52
Brian, it sure was great having you stop by!

However... A few comments about the photograph:

a) I would suggest cloning out the three ugly old fellows in the photo... it will surely make for a better image.

b) You should'a warned me before taking the photo... then I at least could'a presented "my best side" to the camera. :-)

Glenn

Gem Singer
27-Nov-2009, 20:10
Hey Glenn, nobody wants to see your "best" side (back side) anyways.

Brian,

Thanks for waiting for me to hide under my dark cloth and Michael to turn his "best" side to the camera before you clicked the shutter on your digicam.

It was a pleasure having you join our little group this morning.

I especially appreciate that you helped me carry my 8X10 Canham outfit.

Eugene