PDA

View Full Version : Velvia 100 outdated

Ben Calwell
5-Oct-2009, 17:00
I just discovered some 4x5 holders containing what I'm pretty sure is Fuji Velvia 100. I think the sheets have been in the holders for about two years at room temperature. Should I expect any color shifts or other problems if I expose them? I know the answer is "try it and find out," but I'm wondering if anyone here has shot old, non-freezer-kept Velvia and what their experiences have been.
Thanks in advance

uniB
5-Oct-2009, 17:30
I've got a few sheets to process tomorrow that I've treated with little respect for the last year or so, thought I'd give them a go to see how they compare to Velvia 50, so I'll let you know how they come out :)

Ben Calwell
6-Oct-2009, 15:03
Thanks -- I'm planning a fall foliage trip this weekend and was wondering whether or not I'd be wasting my time shooting the stuff. Before I turn my Wista into a lamp, I think I'll go ahead and expose the old film and then compare it to what I get with my D40. I'm thinking the film is going to win, regardless of its age.

tgtaylor
8-Oct-2009, 22:52
I just developed 2 sheets of Velvia 100F that expired June, 2006. Came out great - no noticable color shift. I purchased an unopened 50 sheet box off eBay about 2 years ago and kept it in the refrigerator shooting B&W and C-41. I don't know how it was kept by the previous owner.

uniB
9-Oct-2009, 01:58
I got round to developing my out of date, stored in the bedroom for a year Velvia 100 yesterday and I can see no obvious damage at all. I sometimes think there's too much made about storage conditions. I guess it's less of a problem in the UK where it never really gets that hot anyway, so unless it's stored next to a radiator, all is likely to be fine.

Ben Calwell
11-Oct-2009, 15:21
Thanks again for the input. Back from my fall foliage trip, but wasn't sufficiently inspired to set up the view camera and shoot the old Velvia. I didn't even take that many digital shots with the D40. It's good to know, though, that the old Velvia will more than likely be Ok when I do expose it.