PDA

View Full Version : Lee ND Filters Color Shift

Peter Lewitt
4-Oct-2009, 18:27
My Lee Neutral Density Grads are no longer neutral. This is quite pronounced and easily seen on the light table. I also confirmed it with readings with a Minolta Color Meter.

The 1 stop filter shifts about 180 degrees warmer between the clear and ND sections. The 2 and 3 stop filters shift about 450 degrees warmer. The denser ones look almost brown!

I used to use these quite a lot and never noticed anything like this. The filters are about eight years old. The Lee catalog from that time shows the ND grad set as matching in neutral gray color, as you might expect.

Has anyone seen anything similar? When I call Lee it would be useful to know of other cases.

Thanks

Mark Woods
4-Oct-2009, 18:37
Virtually all ND's will give a slight to a large amount of color shift. The only ones that done are the pellical mirror ND's that Pancro Mirror manufactures.

Peter Lewitt
4-Oct-2009, 19:08
I don't have a baseline measurement from when they were new, only my recollection that they didn't look like this!

But I did spend a lot of time handling them back then - making positioning guides from white card and storage sleeves with white backing, so plenty of opportunity to notice any variances.

Stephen Lewis
5-Oct-2009, 03:40
Hi Peter

ALL GND's will colour shift over time. It's one of the reasons Lee put the date of manufacture on their filters, and I've found that my Lee GND's need replacing every three years or so. Apperently, Lee will re-dip them for you, but I'm not sure of the cost. Have a chat with them.

Mind you, at least they start off neutral, unlike some other GND's ;)

Diane Maher
5-Oct-2009, 05:17
I wasn't aware of this color shift. Where on the filter does it indicate the date of manufacture? My color shooting is minimal, so I never really noticed any changes, but I do shoot color occasionally and will have to check mine.

Bob Salomon
5-Oct-2009, 06:13
Hi Peter

ALL GND's will colour shift over time. It's one of the reasons Lee put the date of manufacture on their filters, and I've found that my Lee GND's need replacing every three years or so. Apperently, Lee will re-dip them for you, but I'm not sure of the cost. Have a chat with them.

Mind you, at least they start off neutral, unlike some other GND's ;)

Not all, we have never - in over 25 years - had a report of a screw-in type GND from Heliopan fade. Nor, when they were current, any of the rectangular glass ones either.

If some are fading it is either due to the use of organic dyes or gels or a very poor quality inorganic dye that the filter manufacturer used. Not because "ALL GND's will colour shift over time. " They ALL DO NOT!

Joanna Carter
5-Oct-2009, 06:20
I am a dealer for Lee filters and have left a message for someone to give me some insight on their policy in this eventuality. I hope to get a reply tomorrow.

Joanna Carter
5-Oct-2009, 10:13
Having spoken to the techies at Lee, I can tell you that, even though they are as old as you say, if the filters are genuinely from them and you can prove their provenance (dealer invoice, or such), then they are quite happy for you to return them and they will assess the problem and may even replace them if the issue is down to their production and quality control.

Peter Lewitt
5-Oct-2009, 12:28
Thank you Joanna.

After reading your post I called Lee Filters USA and was told "that was normal" and that all filters shift over time and that you can't expect to buy one set of filters, etc, etc.

I like your answer much better. Do you know who you spoke to? Would you have an email address?

I also called Singh-Ray and was told that their ND filter's don't shift, that would be a manufacturing defect that would require replacement.

Charles Young
5-Oct-2009, 13:23
hi Peter,

I've got a 0.6 Singh-Ray Hard Grad w/ a serious magenta shift. I'll see if I can 'scan' it along w/ some High-Tech filters i've got to show you.

Cheers,

Charles Young
www.paisagembrasileira.com

Joanna Carter
5-Oct-2009, 14:31
Do you know who you spoke to? Would you have an email address?
Go to my website and send me a message via the "About Us" page. I will then put you in touch with the right person.