PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon 210mm fog between the front element lenses

Ginette
2-Oct-2009, 18:26
I found a good looking Fujinon 210mm 5.6, the older model that have a filter size of 58mm and supposed to cover adequately 8x10.
Unfortunately the lens have a fog between the front group elements lens, a white fog not over all the surface. Is this group cimented ? Can it be open for cleaning ? What will be the approximative cost for this operation done by a qualify technician ? To know how to ask to the seller as the lens was described as " clean glass optics". I paid 255$ + shipping for it.

Gem Singer
2-Oct-2009, 18:44
The last price quote I got for disassembling a lens, cleaning it, and re-cementing the
glass elements was $150 + shipping. That was when S.K.Grimes was still alive. Probably much higher now.

From your description, it sounds like fungus.

Disassembling a lens and getting rid of fungus is not a do-it-yourself project.

If possible, return the lens for a refund.

Steve Hamley
2-Oct-2009, 18:46
S. K. Grimes usually charges around a hundred dollars and does a fine job. (Cleaning)

John van Stelton at Focalpoint Lens does recementing, but it's around $180 per cemented interface. Usually it isn't worth it.

The smart money is to return the lens for a refund and start over.

Cheers, Steve

ic-racer
2-Oct-2009, 19:05
This is kind of a long shot but I once had a lens & shutter fall in water. After cleaning the shutter and screwing the lens back I found a light 'fog' appear between the elements. Heating and cooling did not get rid of it but a disassembly of the elements made it go away almost instantly.

Of note, it was a Fuji lens and the retaining rings were 'locked' with a drop of some substance that was soluble in acetone but not naptha. The retaining rings would not budge until I put some acetone on the ring, then the ring came off easily.

Drew Wiley
3-Oct-2009, 15:59
Fuji uses a UV-cure cement around the lenses, different from the alcohol-soluble
cement of older lenses and some Schneider lenses. If water vapor is just a mild form of condensation I immediately seal it in an airtight bag or tupperware box
containing freshly baked-out silica gel. (I am doing that right now with an exposure
meter which got wet in the mtns). The problem is, that if water vapor is simply left
there, or with hard water in particular, you mightl get a haze which requires disassembly by a professional. The worst instance I ever had is when water spray deep in one of the southwest canyons proved so rich in some kind of mineral that it bonded instantly and permanently to the face of the lens, just like a siloxane curing agent!

Ginette
3-Oct-2009, 22:43
Fuji uses a UV-cure cement around the lenses, different from the alcohol-soluble
cement of older lenses and some Schneider lenses. If water vapor is just a mild form of condensation I immediately seal it in an airtight bag or tupperware box
containing freshly baked-out silica gel. (I am doing that right now with an exposure
meter which got wet in the mtns). The problem is, that if water vapor is simply left
there, or with hard water in particular, you mightl get a haze which requires disassembly by a professional. The worst instance I ever had is when water spray deep in one of the southwest canyons proved so rich in some kind of mineral that it bonded instantly and permanently to the face of the lens, just like a siloxane curing agent!

It look more like a white haze than condensation.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Unfornately the cleaning is pretty expensive, is this lens worth it? Not sure that the seller will propose me to pay a part of it. For the moment I ask for a refund and also the shipping back fees as the lens is not as described.

Ron Marshall
4-Oct-2009, 09:49
Ginette, check out KEH.com. Their prices are reasonable and they have an excellent return policy.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/CategoryTableOfContents.aspx?Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=true&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7

Ginette
6-Oct-2009, 14:04
I finally return the lens for a full refund. I wish to save the lens but I will first save my pocket !