PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 900 4x5 - Composing and Focusing issues..

lambis
2-Oct-2009, 16:53
Today I have tested exlusive my new Polaroid 900 4x5 with 3x4 polaroid film.

The lens i have is a Xenar 150mm 4.5. I had some issues. It was hard to so a composition using a Rangefinder as the polaroid Film i use is a 3x4 Fuji 100C
I am using a 405 Polaroid Back.
Is there any Mask or way to create some Mask in the groundglass and do the Rangefinders paralex chainge this?
Any tips are welcome.

Then about focusing. I shoot 80% in Portrait Mode and there sometimes its hard to focus and i get soft images.

I shoot Portraits or Halv / full body but i am focusing all the time in the face / eye and then recomposing. Maybe i need just to learn to use the camera or to addapt a new way off working....

bbjorkum
3-Oct-2009, 05:38
You can make a mask for your ground glass out of nearly anything. The frame in the viewfinder is closer to 3x4 than 4x5, as that's closer to the original format of the camera. If you feel you're getting pictures out of focus too often, you should compare the viewfinder focus with ground glass focus on both infinity and close up. Use a loupe on the ground glass. I have recalibrated both my current 900 and 110B. Focusing the camera and reframing the motif, will of course change the focus in the motif.

Please respond to my request on FB, and we can keep more easily in touch.

bbjorkum
3-Oct-2009, 05:43
By the way, where did you get your 900 from?

lambis
3-Oct-2009, 06:43
Bjärte ups yeah i do it now .. fb sorry

Deans Camera. with a xenotar 150 4.5. So yes i have both aero & Razzle.
I dont think the frame on razzles rangefinder is 3x4 becauce if i use it i cut many Legs :-)
So i think Dean do the conversion and adjust the rangefinder for 4x5
In Ground glass when I use 3x4 polaroids with 405 back i get this area
http://www.apneaimages.com/temp/3x4.jpg

bbjorkum
3-Oct-2009, 06:54
I see. But I have examined the rangefinder frames in his cameras, and I don't think they have been modified. Neither have I heard of anyone's that have modified them to match 4x5. It could be that they now match 4x5 because the 150 is the normal lens for 4x5, whereas the 127 is the normal lens for 3x4. You could get the Fuji 4x5 polaroid system. A bit more expensive, but at least it's 4x5. I don't know if it's available in Sweden, but the internet is a great provider.

lambis
3-Oct-2009, 08:40
Ohh you mean that becauce i use a Xenar 150 the paralax lines now mach 4x5. But then its good as i will anyway shoot 4x5 film. The issue was just the 3x4 polaroids but i think the only way to get arount is to just guess. Fuji 4x5 is expensive Bjärte :-(

I have add you now on FB :-)

bbjorkum
3-Oct-2009, 10:08
A good guess is always worth while. So you are right. Tell me if you experience focusing issues. I can help you calibrating the rangefinder. You might have to move the cam ...

djonesii
3-Oct-2009, 10:52
I have been shooting a bit of Polaroid film lately, the 3X4 in my converted 900. It also has a 150mm lens.

The cam was ground, so the focusing is good. The focusing should be the focusing regardless of film, Polaroid Back, or Roll film back. It was one of the firs things I checked, I put the camera on a tripod and compared the GG focus to the rangefinder focus, and the match. As I have been using the camera I bit more, the bellows seems to have a bit of tension in it, and can move my focus just off if it tilt the camera before I shoot.

So, that leaves you with framing. I was chopping off a lot of feet to start with, and have been doing better lately. I try to frame the top of the head even or just above the top yellow frame line, and that seems to work out pretty good for me.

I have some samples up in an other thread on the forum.

Dave

lambis
8-Oct-2009, 11:40
Its hard to focus with fast lenses and framing but i think i get it right slowly.

Hier a Fuji Polaroid 3x4 with the razzle and Xenar 150 at 4.5, Handhold of course.http://www.apneaimages.com/temp/Ida-Pola-3.jpg

salihonba
8-Oct-2009, 20:22
Looks great, but be careful, try not to use the sliding trigger on camera body, it tends to make vibration, use a cable release, maybe it is alright on instant film, but in an enlarging print.......

using a monopod is a good idea, won't drag your motions, but greatly keep camera stable, especially on slow speed.

all in my own opinion, for your reference.