PDA

View Full Version : Need some help.

annetteovrelid
2-Oct-2009, 02:55
Hi.

I am new to with the large format camera, and just bought a Horseman 4x5. The thing is that I have no idea about wich lenses I can use with it. So I bought a

Tessar 210/4.5 large format Carl Zeiss lens

but I do not know if this is the right type og lense, of what copal size lensboard this will work with. Does anyone have any information they could provide me with?

Thanks.

Best Regards
Annette

Sevo
2-Oct-2009, 03:32
If it has a shutter: Which one? The lens board bore depends on the shutter type.

If it has no shutter (barrel mount): What Tessar is it? A GDR Zeiss Jena is most likely, as there are heaps of them around. IIRC these need a Compound IV and a entire new fitting, as it wasn't cell-assembled, but the elements are directly fit into the barrel - do expect 200-300€ for a shutter and rebuilding. Earlier (uncoated) or Oberkochen (expensive) 210mm Tessars are cell-type and directly fit a Compound III - there you'd only need a shutter, but even that will usually be more expensive than a decent 2nd hand Plasmat type lens, which would be more generally useful.

These Tessars are nice portrait lenses, but not exactly the first general purpose lens you will want to have along with a Horseman 4x5 - do yourself a favour and pick up a 150mm Symmar-S/Nikkor-W or the like.

annetteovrelid
2-Oct-2009, 03:59
Thanks for advice. A like would that be something as RODENSTOCK RODAGON 150MM 5.6

Len Middleton
2-Oct-2009, 04:22
Annette,

The Rodagon is an enlarging lens, and typically barrel mounted (i.e. not mounted in a shutter). As well as enlarging, they would be good for macro work, but as mentioned above a good plasmat (Symmar, Sironar, Nikkor W, G-Claron) would be better for general purpose.

A barrel mounted lens will be much cheaper than a shutter mounted lens, but then you will need to find another method of setting the exposure time. For the Horseman, you might be able to easily mount a Sinar shutter. Otherwise use a Packard shutter, or the Jim Gali patented Armstrong shutter (if you do not already own a top hat).

You should be able to pick up a relatively inexpensive plasmat lens in the 135mm to 210mm range for little more than the cost of the shutter. Take a look at the For Sale section of this forum to get some ideas as to what is available.

Hope that helps,

Len

Steve Hamley
2-Oct-2009, 05:48
Annette,

A 150mm lens is considered normal for the 4x5 format; and the "range" of focal lengths considered normal runs from about 135mm to 165mm (which is the approximate format diagonal).

A 210mm lens is considered the first "longer" focal length from normal and a 90mm is frequently the first "wider" lens.

In the 135mm - 210mm focal length, you need to be looking for a Schneider Symmar series lens (Symmar, Symmar-S, Apo-Symmar), a Rodenstock Sironar series (Sironar, Apo-Sironar, Apo-Sironar L, S), or a Fujinon or Nikkor "W" series lens.

Jeff Wheeler at Quality Camera in Atlanta has a large number of good 210mm lenses through bulk acquisitions, I'm sure he'd sell you one at a good price. Also Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange would be a good contact, or KEH at keh.com, also in Atlanta.

Cheers, Steve

Bill_1856
2-Oct-2009, 06:06
You don't need to start lens shopping, as the 210mm TESSAR is an excellent lens for your camera, presuming that it is already in a shutter. Eventally you will probably want another lens but you won't need it for a while.
To determine what len board you need, just measure the diameter of the threaded part on the rear of the lens (or have a friend do it for you), and call either of the two excellent salespersons mentiioned in the other posts to purchase a lensboard.
If your lens doesn't have a shutter, you'll need to discuss trading it for one which does.

annetteovrelid
2-Oct-2009, 06:32
unfortunately it does not have a shutter.. I found a Schneider Rodenstock 210MM 5.6 Symmar-S Multicoated and a sinaron-s (Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N)150mm F/5.6. Anyone familiar with these?

By the way, thank you for all the help so far!

Sevo
2-Oct-2009, 06:42
Either would be fine - the general design is the same. The Sinaron-S is slightly modern and higher resolution, but in practice that is not noticeable. Pick the focal length that suits you best - to start out with landscape and outdoor, a normal (150mm) usually is the better first lens, for portrait or studio, 210mm is a good starter.

Bob Salomon
2-Oct-2009, 06:54
Annette,

A 150mm lens is considered normal for the 4x5 format; and the "range" of focal lengths considered normal runs from about 135mm to 165mm (which is the approximate format diagonal).

A 210mm lens is considered the first "longer" focal length from normal and a 90mm is frequently the first "wider" lens.

In the 135mm - 210mm focal length, you need to be looking for a Schneider Symmar series lens (Symmar, Symmar-S, Apo-Symmar), a Rodenstock Sironar series (Sironar, Apo-Sironar, Apo-Sironar L, S), or a Fujinon or Nikkor "W" series lens. ....

First a normal lens for 4x5 is 135 to 150mm and the first longer lens then normal is usually a 180mm.

Secondly Rodenstock made/makes the Sironar, Sironar N, Sironar N MC, Apo Sironar, Apo Sironar N, Apo Sironar S and the Apo Sironar W. They never made an Apo Sironar L. They also have the Apo Sironar Digital and the Apo Sironar Digital HR but these are for digital and roll film.

Bob Salomon
2-Oct-2009, 06:56
unfortunately it does not have a shutter.. I found a Schneider Rodenstock 210MM 5.6 Symmar-S Multicoated and a sinaron-s (Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N)150mm F/5.6. Anyone familiar with these?

By the way, thank you for all the help so far!

You mean a Schneider 210mm 5.6 Symmar-S. Schneider and Rodenstock are different companies.

Len Middleton
2-Oct-2009, 07:59
There may be some confusion due to spamming being done on feeBay that lists both Schneider and Rodenstock for a single lens in the listing title.

Symmar => Schneider

Sironar => Rodenstock

Steve Hamley
2-Oct-2009, 08:28
Bob S.,

That was a typo, I never noticed it until you said something!

Cheers, Steve