PDA

View Full Version : Shutter speed hosed??

Pawlowski6132
1-Oct-2009, 19:02
I JUST posted a new thread about this lens on an unrelated topic but, I have another question so...new thread. Sorry for hogging the board right now.

I have this lens:

Synchro-Compur
Schneider-Kreuznach
Symmar
1:5,6 210
1:12/370 (Convertible I just learned!)

Anywho, the lens came with the camera and I am just working it over to check everything out and take some test shots.

Anywho, I thought everything was working fine until I started trying some of the slower shutter speeds. Faster shutter speeds seem to work through 1/10. Then, effective 1/5, after I cock the shutter it attempts to close and then seems to struggle to finish. By the time I get 1/2 a sec the shutter stays open for about 13 sec.

Is the lens just hosed????

thanx for your time

Joe

BrianShaw
1-Oct-2009, 19:07
It doesn't sound "hosed". Anyhoo, probably needs just a cleaning.

Greg Lockrey
1-Oct-2009, 19:08
This is an older lens with a shutter that needs cleaning. Sometimes by working the shutter in the slow speeds a few hundred times will work the stiffness out but I would have it cleaned by a qualified craftsman.

Pawlowski6132
1-Oct-2009, 19:11
Thanx guys. So, next question...Any good referrals? What can I expect to pay? Also, how old do you think the lens is? Do you think this particular lens is worth cleaning or, just get a different one?

Sorry for all the newbie twenty-questions. I've shot 35mm and MF for awhile and this is a new adventure for me and I'm pretty optimistic that LF is really going to hit the spot for me.

thanx again for sharing

Joe

Alan Butcher
1-Oct-2009, 19:13
Flutot's Camera Repair is one shop that can CLA your lens
http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Did a excellent job on a Synchro-Compur for me.

--
Alan

Greg Lockrey
1-Oct-2009, 19:27
Flout's or SK Grimes. Sometimes if you live in a big enough city there would be a local guy to do this too. If the shutter just needs cleaning I would expect to pay around $50.00 or so plus shipping. Yes the lens is worth it provided that the elements are fog and fungus free. Those lenses were made from about 1965 to 1975 or maybe later. You can go to the Schneider site and look up the serial number to determine the actual age. Worse case senerio you could replace that Syncro-Compur with a Copal for about $350 new. Mine was purchased in 1970 and still in use.

Pawlowski6132
1-Oct-2009, 19:33
Flout's or SK Grimes. If the shutter just needs cleaning I would expect to pay around $50.00 or so plus shipping. Yes the lens is worth it provided that the elements are fog and fungus free. Those lenses were made from about 1965 to 1975 or maybe later. You can go to the Schneider site and look up the serial number to determine the actual age. Mine was purchased in 1970 and still in use.

Thanx for the good info. Just checked, looks like mine was made around 1973. The glass is 100% spotless. $50 seems like a good value. Just checked Flout's site, unfortunately, looks like the patient would be in the hospital for 2-5 weeks.

Uggggh.

IanG
2-Oct-2009, 05:23
I've had 3 shutters CLA'd in the UK, posted on a Monday received back on the Thursday or Friday, great service.

Ian

Bill_1856
2-Oct-2009, 06:11
Any local camera repairperson will be able to clean and adjust your shutter. You don't say where you live, but check the yellow pages, the Web, or Craig's List for the closest large city.