PDA

View Full Version : LinoColor users...How do I set negative mode?

Allen in Montreal
1-Oct-2009, 07:56
After many many delays, I booted up my Linotype-Hell Topaz scanner, using Linocolor ver 6 I did a first quick scan.

For the life of me I can not see how to change the settings from a print form scan to a negative scan.
I have a copy of the instructions but the setting they refer to does not seem to exist on my version.

James Beck
1-Oct-2009, 11:24
I don't use Linocolor, but refer to page 3-3 in the User's Guide.

Hope this helps.
Jim
www.jamesbeckdigital.com (http://www.jamesbeckdigital.com)

Allen in Montreal
1-Oct-2009, 13:16
James,
Thank you for the reply, I have toggled back and forth with no success while scanning negatives, I have however made some nice scans from prints.
Going back and scanning again while I had a few down moments from importing some video, it occurred to me, the error may not be my settings, but the backing that I am using while scanning negatives.

The scanner came to me with two choices of backings for the tray, I am wondering if neither are meant for negative scanning.

What are you using on the upper side of the negative while scanning?

Allen

James Beck
1-Oct-2009, 14:38
Allen,

I apologize, In addition to not using Linocolor, I don't use a Topaz. (I use the Tango/Primescan drum scanner w/Newcolor)

However, the "button" I indicated to you selects the scanning of positive or negative originals. It may not function as expected if the scanner is set to reflective mode(?) I believe the button to the left, selects transparent or reflective original/mode.

I could venture more of a response, but I would suggest soliciting help from a qualified Topaz/Linocolor operator or engineer. I'd recommend Karl Hudson (karl@hudsongrafik.com) from Kiel.

Is this still helping?
Regards,
Jim

Allen in Montreal
1-Oct-2009, 17:52
James,

Thank you. Problem is now solved. :)
Your confirming I was doing it correctly made me go back and look at everything else again.
I have just made a quick scan (231 meg) of a 5x7 neg that is fine.
I thought I was not setting the scanner correctly, or the scanner was not responding. But it turns out the way in which the negative table was setup when I got the scanner was incorrect.

Cropped out of a head and shoulders, horizontal, 5x7 contact print, scanned to output of 24x30 @ 300 dpi.
This was a scrap negative, now that I know that the scanner works, I will need to clean it up and test it properly over the weekend, I want to learn to do wet scans with it.
It is slow, but seems to make nice scans.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6737/vickytest12.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/vickytest12.jpg/)

Allen in Montreal
5-Oct-2009, 19:34
James,
From what I gather your Tango is a little newer than my Topaz, did you ever run it on OS 9?
How large of file could your system 9 machine compute before hitting the wall?

James Beck
6-Oct-2009, 09:24
Allen,

I didn't pursue the use of LinoColor with my Tango/Primescan as it I believe it only supports 8bit color. Instead I jumped right into working with the NewColor software for Mac OSX for its 16bit output. I find that has a 2GB limit which I suspect is more of an OS limitation than anything else.

I would still suggest contacting Karl Hudson (karl@hudsongrafik.com). He would be able to answer your questions regarding software capabilities/limitations and get you the LinoColor, NewColor, or Silverfast software running either Mac or PC platforms as they all may “hit” a slightly different “wall”. I usually defer these technical questions to Karl. I’d rather concentrate on my scanning and get the most out of whatever scanning software I’m using.

Hope this helps(?)
Jim

Allen in Montreal
7-Oct-2009, 06:18
Thank you Jim, you have helped.

I will contact Karl once I get my feet a little wet and have the basics down.
I got this scanner with no knowledge if it even functioned so I did not want to spring for Silverfast (1500 usd) until I was certain it would be worth it to pursue this project and the scanner worked well. Which it seems to to.

Linocolor is only 8 bit from what I can tell. This will do for the short term, when I am ready to turn it up a little I will get Silverfast and run it off my MacBook Pro.
The old beige G3 only has 192 megs of ram (I am increasing that to 410 this weekend) and hits the wall while saving files around 350 megs. It scans to over 2 gig but I can't save the file once scanned, so moving to Silverfast on OSX is in the cards once I play around with it a little more and get exposing and processing for the scanner and wet scans down pat.

Allen in Montreal
8-Oct-2009, 13:05
Last night I managed to save the first file that was larger the 1 gig. :)
It was a nice feeling to see things progressing.
Having only scanned 4x5 on a borrowed epson 1640 until now, the Linocolor is looking pretty good.