PDA

View Full Version : Pyro stain on kitchen counter

SteveKarr
30-Sep-2009, 22:51
Hi everyone,
So I get some Max Pyro and give it a try. Looks strange & cool. Never used pyro before... then ....

... I left Giant rings, drips & stains on the formica. I am in Big trouble with you-know-who. Big.

Sending up a flair here ... Help!

Steve

Ron Marshall
30-Sep-2009, 23:30
The Pyro devs are fairly toxic, so be certain to clean up well, especially if little hands are around.

IanG
30-Sep-2009, 23:46
Try Sodium Hypchlorite bleach, if that doesn't work wait for the divorce papers :D

On the other hand it might be just the excuse needed to make you pay for a new kitchen :)

Ian

Greg Lockrey
1-Oct-2009, 00:59
Aaahh!... if she gives you any lip, wack her along the side of her head with a stainless steel tray. :D :D :D

dsphotog
1-Oct-2009, 01:20
I can see into the future......yes.....I see new granite countertop in your kitchen...
Then it's only fair to get to build your own darkroom!
Best of luck with that....

John Bowen
1-Oct-2009, 03:53
Uh, tell her hit's grape juice, or worstershire sauce (sp) or tobacco juice; hell, tell her it is a combination of all 3 and ask her if she would like try some!

Jim Rice
1-Oct-2009, 07:33
Just wait until you try Amidol.

Eric Woodbury
1-Oct-2009, 09:17
I haven't tried Max Pyro, but the stay could be from Amidol in the developer. I'm betting it's in there and an Amidol stain trumps a pyro stain. If you-know-who uses hair dye, then that is where the stain is from.

Try hydrogen peroxide to remove the stain.

Dave Aharonian
1-Oct-2009, 09:34
I've stained my kitchen cupboards from some very tiny PMK splatters. It doesn't come off very well!! I guess they needed a new coat of paint anyway....

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
1-Oct-2009, 09:39
Why do you have chemicals--especially ones which are significantly toxic--in the kitchen? Really, there must be other places to do this. I lived in a tiny NYC apartment for many years, and never used the kitchen for chemicals, even relatively harmless ones.

Robert Hughes
1-Oct-2009, 17:04
I use my bathroom as a darkroom, and yes I have chemical stains too, from cyanotype solutions and tea. I agree about keeping chemicals out of the kitchen if possible, but I've been known to ignore my own good caution too. Bleach is your friend.

John Powers
2-Oct-2009, 06:00
There is a product called Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for kitchen and bath, a sponge loaded with cleaner. I read about it here or on APUG. I asked my wife if she would pick some up when she shopped for groceries. It turned out we had it in a box under the sink. It cleans up just about everything I have spilled in the darkroom including Rollo Pyro. The older the stain, the more difficult to clean. So get at it.

John

Dave Aharonian
2-Oct-2009, 11:23
Magic Eraser does indeed work, but be very careful with it (just pretend its pyro!) as its full of toxins and suspected carcinogens.

eddie
2-Oct-2009, 11:28
Magic Eraser does indeed work, but be very careful with it (just pretend its pyro!) as its full of toxins and suspected carcinogens.

and we use it in the kitchen as well.......

jeroldharter
2-Oct-2009, 12:21
I am not usually a safety hypochondriac but I would think twice about using darkroom chemicals, least of most pyro, in the kitchen. Is this your ex-wife's kitchen?

77seriesiii
2-Oct-2009, 23:26
Or as a friend used to call his first wife...practice wife 1; second wife was oddly enough just called, continuing the trend...practice wife 2. :D

Jim Ewins
3-Oct-2009, 13:30
Check with The Formulary in MT

SteveKarr
3-Oct-2009, 18:37
Yes ... Thanks for all the Great Tips. Everyone is right about the danger in the kitchen. Stupid me I guess. I have tried all but the Magic Eraser.

It is much lessened. Geez it's my house too you know! HAHAHAHAHA!

Steve

IanG
5-Oct-2009, 06:00
It is much lessened. Geez it's my house too you know! HAHAHAHAHA!

Steve

That's only what you think . . . . . . . . :D

John Powers
5-Oct-2009, 18:43
Geez it's my house too you know! HAHAHAHAHA!

Steve

Did her lawyer tell you that?

John

Harald Leban
6-Oct-2009, 04:53
Hi everyone,
So I get some Max Pyro and give it a try. Looks strange & cool. Never used pyro before... then ....

... I left Giant rings, drips & stains on the formica. I am in Big trouble with you-know-who. Big.

Sending up a flair here ... Help!

Steve

Steve ,
what you have now is oxidized Pyrogallol and if you work with another oxidizing cleaner on it (sodiumhypochlorit, hydrogenperoxide) youŽll make it more worse - what you need now is a reduzing agent/cleaner - you could start with some ascorbic acid/ soda mix that should be alkaline, or try some drops of paper developer concentrate (be aware youŽre still in the kitchen) or (because youŽre in the kitchen) try some oven-cleaner on it......if nothing is successful than you may polish it with a mild abrasive polish (for silver dishes etc..)

Good Luck

Harald