PDA

View Full Version : Long Exposure Velvia 50 color shift

Rust Never Sleeps
30-Sep-2009, 22:24
So I was shooting a mountain scene in the High Uintas in north eastern Utah with rocks and rock slabs in the foreground with forest and peaks in the background. Was facing directly east and the lighting was post sunset as I needed a balanced exposure with the whole scene evenly illuminated.

Once the last rays of sun were off the peaks I got ready to shoot. Lens was a Grandagon 90 6.8 with a Heliopan KR3 MC filter. Exposures were F32 at 5s, 15s, 33s, and 66s for the four sheets I exposed as the light got darker with Velvia 50. When I got the film back I noticed a color shift that got worse as the exposures got longer. The 4s shot looks natural, with the 15S shot getting some color shift and the 66s shot the worse of them all.

Shift is magenta, violet, slight red, and some purple. Looks interesting and kind of other worldly in a way but I will print the first exposure. Is this color shift from the film or from what is all the blue light at this elevation(about 10,000 feet) on a clear day after the sun set, hence the KR3 filter or a combination from both.

I still have some Provia 100F, Velvia 100, and Astia 100F so I will try those in these conditions. If one of these does good I guess I am stuck using Velvia 50 <5 sec and one of the other films >5 sec. Thoughts, Thanks

PViapiano
30-Sep-2009, 23:00
Here's the spec sheet, and it does caution color shift in the film at exposures 4 sec and over (see item 5 of the pdf)...use the appropriate filters.

Sevo
1-Oct-2009, 00:37
Use Astia - it has reciprocity characteristics superior even to old Tungsten type slide film. No exposure compensation needed up to a minute, no filters needed for up to four.

PViapiano
1-Oct-2009, 09:05
I guess I forgot to put the link in there:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/AF3-0221E2Velvia50PIB.pdf

Nathan Potter
1-Oct-2009, 09:52
Sounds like you suffered a combination of two failures - reciprocity as mentioned but also color balance shift from non ideal incident light. I've had some real strange color shifts with Velvia near dusk from excessive blue sky illumination. I now tend to use Astia for lighting conditions that depart materially from about 6500K.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

ljsegil
1-Oct-2009, 10:50
But has anyone found a decent source to purchase Astia in 8x10?????
ljs

John Brady
1-Oct-2009, 10:59
But has anyone found a decent source to purchase Astia in 8x10?????
ljs

Or a source at all. I have been unable to purchase Astia 8x10 for quite some time.
As far as I know it has been discontinued.

If anyone knows of a source I would love to know.

Sevo
1-Oct-2009, 13:35
Japanexposures (http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=69) has it listed. Hard to tell whether and when they can deliver - but they can provide Astia 4x5 QL within a week or so.

Drew Wiley
1-Oct-2009, 16:16
A warming filter helps, but Velvia simply behaves this way. Looking for 8X10 Astia 100F
myself (down to one box).

ljsegil
1-Oct-2009, 16:18
Yes, it is listed, but for $183! Time to look at some more data sheets and see if anything approaches Astia's reciprocity characteristics.
Larry

Drew Wiley
2-Oct-2009, 10:28
Larry - Kodak E100G ain't bad. But you also might see if Larry Gebhardt still has any of
the old-style 8X10 Astia left in his freezer, which he was selling quite reasonably. Not
quite as fine-grained as 100F and on acetate base, but still an excellent film if it's been
frozen. The only reason I didn't buy it is that I need polyester-based film for punch
and register alignment work for traditional color masking. If you scan, this isn't an issue.

Rust Never Sleeps
2-Oct-2009, 22:09
Thanks for the Tips posted, I will try Astia 100F next time I shoot a dawn or dusk shot. So far from the tests I have done I think I am settled on Velvia 50 and Astia 100F depending on conditions. The yellow in Provia 100F = Yuck and the magenta in Velvia 100 not to mention less sharp than 50 = Yuck. May need to get a KR6 filter for Astia for the shots with a lot of blue in them (shaded snow).

Rust Never Sleeps
29-Oct-2009, 17:13
Use Astia - it has reciprocity characteristics superior even to old Tungsten type slide film. No exposure compensation needed up to a minute, no filters needed for up to four.

Alright, I finally had some time to shot and had nice conditions for a shot I had in mind. Needed a mostly cloudy or clear dusk day and the clear dusk came first so off I went with a couple sheets of Velvia 50 and Astia 100F.

This was in Utah's Wasatch mountains in Big Cottonwood Canyon up on the south slope looking directly south. Had fall colored vegetation in the foreground along with a few evergreens. Off in the background was the beautiful north slope of lower Big Cottonwood Canyon made of very rugged peaks, ridges, forest and big rock slabs. Snow covered a lot of the north slope. Took one Velvia shot and two Astia shots. Exposure was 5s at F22 for velvia and 4s at F22 and I think 8S at F22 for Astia. Lens was 90mm with KR3 filter.

Velvia 50: The velvia shot had once again a bunch of magenta in it. Looked more like Velvia 100 than 50. Snow had this magenta and so did the clear sky. The foreground looked ok and had more detail than I though it would. A couple of shadows are blocked. Has a overall cool(tempature) look even with the KR3 filter which is odd for velvia 50. Overall looks kinda bad on this shot even at only 5 seconds and the quickload must have been defective because the shot is crooked and the sides have banding.

Astia 100F: I underexposed one shot and nailed the other so I am taking about the good one. The Astia shot looks very good. A little more detail in the darker foreground with great color. Is warmer looking than the Velvia shot which is odd. The foreground fall foliage looks great, nice color. The snow looks great and natural with no ugly blue cast and the browns are very nice. Overall neutral which is expected but not dull in anyway as is the case with some shots on Astia.

Overall I like the Astia shot a lot and will probable print it soon. Can't wait to compare the two films in this dusk lighting again. Will probable try some dawn stuff too. Great film.