PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a composing template design they would share?

newmoon2night
29-Sep-2009, 22:52
To help composing shots before setting up the camera, I've wondered about putting together simple lightweight frames to be held 2" (half a hand's width) from the eye or something. One frame for each lens (58mm, 72mm, 110mm and 150mm say). Something that's easy to put in the pocket if going for a walk or whatever.
I'm sure loads of people must have done this - has anyone got a design that they think is great, and they're happy to share?
Is the above a reasonable design, or is there a much better option?
I'm not an engineer, and nor am I well up on lens and optical science, so any advice appreciated!
Thanks. David

IanG
29-Sep-2009, 23:16
Think more logically, the wire frame finder on old press camera's works well when you squint through the back sight (with lens focussed) the distance of the frame changes with angle of view of the lens.

So one bit of card frame would work, distance from your eye emulates the different focal lenghts.

In practice you quickly learn to ompose mentally with no aid.

Ian

Steve Barber
29-Sep-2009, 23:21
Just a 4 x 5 inch piece of matboard with a 2 x 2.5 inch rectangle cut out of the center. Attach a string with a knot to mark the distance to hold it away from your eye for each lens that you want.

ki6mf
30-Sep-2009, 04:18
and lengthen or shorten the string by half the distance or twice the distance and you have a wide angle on long lens template. I have seen a commercial version on the larger camera web sites too.

jim kitchen
30-Sep-2009, 11:50
I use an 8X10 "8ply matte board" with a 4X5 hole cut out in the middle, white on one side and black on the other... :)

I have used the same board for more than 30+ years, and I have chased it in the wind more times than I care to remember. I think I should replace it. The black side is always pointed to my eyes.

That said, I do not use a string but I do use the width of my hand, where I place my hand's inner edge against my forehead, and the outer edge against the matte board. I extend the board by simply expanding my fingers outward to an area that represents any lens in my backpack. I always have an entertaining moment whenever someone passes by. Lastly, free holding the card at a distance from your face allows you to possibly see a cropped image or two in the opening. Smaller may be better, but for me the larger matte size borders do block many extraneous objects that may distract my dominant eye.

I hope this helps.

jim k

Steve Hamley
30-Sep-2009, 12:27
While not a template, why not a Linhof multifocal viewfinder? The old ones aren't that expensive and you can put one in a pocket. That said, the template works too.

Just another idea.

Cheers, Steve

Jim Becia
30-Sep-2009, 17:40
Check out Dick Blick and search for their "View catcher." I find them to be a wonderful little product. Jim

jeroldharter
30-Sep-2009, 18:26
You might check this out. I have one and it works well. I also have a home-made model for 4x5 with a window in a mat board and a string with various colored dots to mark the focal lengths. Both work well. As I recall, Alan Ross wrote instructions for this in the Ansel Adams photo techniques book.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61606-REG/Visual_Departures_V100_Visualizer_for_4x5_and.html

Mike1234
30-Sep-2009, 18:36
I've been considering the purchase of a director's zoom viewfinder with several masks for compositional purposes. They're not cheap but not all that pricey either.

dagabel
30-Sep-2009, 18:43
I just bent a wire hanger into the 4x5 shape, and attached a string with marked dots for the focal lengths to one corner. That way I can see what's going to be out of the frame as well as in.