PDA

View Full Version : best way to extend color chemicals...gas..marbles...or?

dede95064
29-Sep-2009, 22:18
hi,

in trying to reach a consensus for preserving color chemicals (e6/c41), i have read here and other sites saying to do any of the following:

1. insert inert gas like argon/nitrogen to remove oxygen from container.
2. drop in marbles until liquid reaches the top of container.
3. use accordian-style plastic containers to remove extra oxygen.
4. use wine box containers and use the bag that houses the wine.
5. any of the above or just put them in the freezer and thaw them out when needed.

now i know the point in doing all of these is to prevent the chemicals from oxidizing but i was curious to know if those who have tried any of these report better success by using one method over another? and if so, how long has your shelf life been for the chemicals?

thanks for any insight!

Greg Lockrey
29-Sep-2009, 22:41
Back in the day I used marbles in brown glass bottles. But then I was commercial and ran through chemistry pretty fast anyway. Today I mix just what I need for E-6 using those one shot kits.

dede95064
29-Sep-2009, 22:59
so you mix what you need but don't do any of the tricks above anymore?

wouldn't it be better to do that now since you are not developing as much?

how long do your e6 chemical concentrates last you these days since you only mix what you need?

Greg Lockrey
29-Sep-2009, 23:14
As for E-6, I use a kit about every 6 months and so far haven't seen any oxidation issues with concentrated chemicals left in the bottle. If it makes you feel better or you expect to be holding the chemicals longer, I would use the marble technique you may get a year on the shelf that way. Once mixed, you have about a week with some chemicals if the air isn't displaced no matter the volume.

I don't use C-41 anymore but back in the day I dipped and dunked and stored with floating lids with temperature controls and had a replenisher program everytime I developed a square area of film. Again, I was using gallons per week then too.

To give you a little more background, my film use is primarily B&W, Polaroid and some slide work. But 90% of what I do is digital color. My clients are more about getting the work out fast so that's the route I've taken. (I know it's blasphemy to say this here. ;) )

*** I keep my chemicals in a hot box at 100 degree F that I intend to use to facillitate mixing as I pour into the film canister. It saves a lot of time for me. Basically I'm ready to develope at a moments notice if need be. I never heard of freezing chemicals to keep them, it sounds not to be a good idea to me, but I could be wrong.

Paul_C
29-Sep-2009, 23:45

I've tried a few of these and all eventually sprung leaks where the plastic flexed.

Not worth it.

D. Bryant
30-Sep-2009, 08:24
hi,

in trying to reach a consensus for preserving color chemicals (e6/c41), i have read here and other sites saying to do any of the following:

thanks for any insight!

Number 1 is your best option. A friend of mine has been using this for E6 developer for over a year and it works great. He uses argon.

Don Bryant

domaz
30-Sep-2009, 09:06
Anyone know what's the cheapest option for picking up argon gas and tank? I've looked into the wine-saver kits that have argon cartridges you can buy, but it seems like you are paying a wine-snob mark-up on that stuff.

Bruce Watson
30-Sep-2009, 09:22
2. drop in marbles until liquid reaches the top of container.
4. use wine box containers and use the bag that houses the wine.
5. any of the above or just put them in the freezer and thaw them out when needed.

6. Use old wine bottles and vacuum stoppers from VacuVin (http://www.vacuvin.com/Vacuum_Wine_Saver_215.html).

jp
1-Oct-2009, 06:56
Argon is used in TIG welding, so you a welding supply place should be able to hook you up with it.

I use 2L juice jugs for B&W chemicals and just sqeeze them a bit to make the liquid come up to the top of the jug before screwing the top on. You can probably adjust volume 5-10% that way.

eric black
1-Oct-2009, 07:40
Ill second the above post in that Ive had no problems with oxidation as long as I use the Chems up within 6 months or so from when they are first opened. Since I dont shoot much in the winter, I typically top off the partially used bottles with argon from the wine shop near the end of November. Its about 7-8 dollars for one of the argon-based wine preservation bottles and for me I have had them last for years worth of protective charges, so it isnt much of an investment. Since argon is heavier than air and doesnt mix (diffuse) at all with it, a small amount of argon in a bottle which isnt being agitated during storage will settle to the bottom of the air space and provide the inert zone next to the liquid that you are looking for- based on this a 1-2 second blast from the wine shop bottles is all that is really needed.