PDA

View Full Version : Tripod changing tent

anglophone1
29-Sep-2009, 10:55
I discovered this the other day:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280401980352&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's a changing bag/tent that hangs under your tripod, seems like a good idea!
Anyone got one, have any experience to share before I take the plunge?
Thanks
Clive
Antibes, France

Robert Hughes
29-Sep-2009, 12:00
This sounds interesting, I usually change tripods in the dark room.

Drew Wiley
29-Sep-2009, 19:18
Interesting idea. With a few velcro tabs you could easily do this with a Harrison film
tent too. Keeps things off the ground.

Martin Aislabie
30-Sep-2009, 07:05
I have a Harrison Tent which I sit on a table to change film.

The thought of doing it on the floor, on my hands and knees does not appeal at all.

It’s hard enough when things go wrong when you are sat down, but being bent double on the floor would make everything much worse.

I am not too sure how my better half would take to me putting a tripod on the table to change films :(

Initially, I toyed with the idea of taking the Changing Tent with me in the car, if I ever needed to reload the Darkslides during the day - but the cleanliness required to change Film in Darkslides put me off trying it.

If you do go ahead, I will be interested to know how you get on with it.

Martin

Tim k
30-Sep-2009, 07:36
You must be much younger than I am, to even consider this. The thought of getting down on my knees to change film, just gives me the willies.

GPS
30-Sep-2009, 08:31
Don't the changing bags/tents have some inner construction to keep it upright? If not, it would seem that to make such a construction would be much easier than hanging the bag/tent on a tripod and "pray" on your knees in front of it. Don't know...

Sevo
30-Sep-2009, 09:14
I have a changing bag by Roger Luo, and it certainly is the best among mine. The quality of this one should be high. Loading film underneath my tripod is not exactly my definition of comfort, though - nor do I own a ULF system with triangular film and holders...

jb7
30-Sep-2009, 09:51
Maybe you could set up the tripod on a table...

anglophone1
30-Sep-2009, 12:46
Maybe you could set up the tripod on a table...

Yes, that seemed the logical idea to me too!
When not in France or travelling I live in West Cork :-)
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

Sevo
30-Sep-2009, 13:07
Well, makes more sense. But it would need a big table or small tripod.

anglophone1
2-Oct-2009, 13:00
How many people here set up their harrison tent on the ground on location?
If you do you MUST be on your knees?
So if most use them at home or indoors, then this could be similar solution.
I guess its always easier to see -ve than +ve, either way noonone here actually seems to have "got one, have any experience to share before I take the plunge?"

Or do they?

Clive
www.clive-evans.com

GPS
2-Oct-2009, 13:42
How many people here set up their harrison tent on the ground on location?
If you do you MUST be on your knees?
So if most use them at home or indoors, then this could be similar solution.
I guess its always easier to see -ve than +ve, either way noonone here actually seems to have "got one, have any experience to share before I take the plunge?"

Or do they?

Clive
www.clive-evans.com

You will surely be taking the plunge AFTER you bought it...:) The point is that you should be able to see the + and the - before you buy it, otherwise it's a risky plunge...
But it seems to me that to hold the top of the bag/tent upright with a simple construction inside of the bag/tent is much more practical than erecting a tripod over it. Also the plunge is then not necessary as a lightweight bag/tent is much easier to put on an improvised higher ground than mastering the same with a tripod.

jb7
2-Oct-2009, 13:49
It sounds like a passably workable solution-
and you could always use it as a standard changing bag-

If there's a chandelier above the table,
you might be able to hook it on that.

If it's a lot cheaper, it might be worth a go-
if it doesn't work out, it has scrap value as bellows material-
postage from Cork shouldn't be too much :p
so I'll make you an offer-

The geodesic structure of the Harrison is very elegant-
it weighs little and packs small,
and might not appear as risky as a tripod on a table.

I'd try it, if I had one,
and didn't already have a Harrison...

Sevo
2-Oct-2009, 14:08
Or do they?

As I said, the changing bag from Roger Luo is the best I've ever owned, and I've gone through quite a few - the material and production of that tripod tent should be excellent. Whether it is practical will entirely depend on your rig and usage. Personally I would only have space and time to build a changing tent out of my tripod when I also have enough transportation to bring a regular changing tent, but then I am no hiking 8x10 landscape photographer.

Tony Lakin
3-Oct-2009, 04:21
Hi
A couple of years ago I was thinking that if I had my camera set up on my tripod and and a rain shower came along what would I do rather than pack everything away, my solution was a modified lightweight waterproof poncho slung over the top and held in place with a strong rubber band around the column and a velcro fastening for each leg, keeps the set up camera dry, rucksack goes underneath, if the tripod legs are fully extended I can squeeze in as well, the poncho can also be used as a ground sheet for laying out gear or even for its original purpose covers me up with rucksack on my back:)

GPS
3-Oct-2009, 04:40
If you too were squeezed inside, how would you deal with the condensation on your camera gear from your breath?

Tony Lakin
3-Oct-2009, 05:10
If you too were squeezed inside, how would you deal with the condensation on your camera gear from your breath?

The camera is isolated by the rubber band around the tripods extending column effectively creating two seperate compartments.

Frank Petronio
3-Oct-2009, 07:12
It's a good idea that might be adapted for a custom-made minimalist ultra-light backpacking changing tent. I love my Harrison but they aren't something I'd want to carry.

Roger_Luo
4-Dec-2009, 15:49
Just found you were talking about changing bag and tent and my name was mentioned. Thank you Sevo. and thank you google.
Clive - if you haven't got one, you should really try my offering ones. :D

P.S. XL size should be good for typical LF indoor usage. You can stand a magazine to create a dome. Unfortunately it was out of stock and will remain so until Spring 2010. Bad economy.

Dirk Rösler
10-Dec-2009, 18:52
Wish there was a YouTube video showing how to use this in detail, like BlackJacket has.