PDA

View Full Version : Lugging a Cambo

bobwysiwyg
28-Sep-2009, 15:30
I've shot 35mm for longer than I care to share ;) , but always wanted to learn to use a view camera. Not long ago, I picked up a used Cambo. I know it's not the most luggable cam, but thought a good way to learn and see if I fit LF photography. So far, I like it a great deal. Getting back to the "not so luggable," thought I would share a solution I found.

It's actually a tackle box I found at Cabela's. I happened to be walking through and noticed it looked as though it might work. The only modification I had to make, besides removing all the dividers it came with, was to unscrew and remove the top pieces from the standards. They made the standards about 1" to tall.

The box is 21" long, 11.5" deep and 13.5" high. In it will go the camera with a 19" rail, and one lens/board mounted. Also, the compendium, two additional lens boards/lenses, two light meters, dark cloth, filter/holder, shutter release cables, misc. items.

I lined it with thin foam just to keep things from sliding around and installed a pad of foam mid-bottom to support the bellows and keep it from sagging. Not the lightest kit, but I have lugged it 1/4-1/2 mile from the car. There is even room for a couple of holders on either side of the bellows, but I generally carry them in a separate smaller bag that started life as a small camera bag. Anyway, that's my solution. Somewhere down the road maybe there's a field camera with my name on it.

ki6mf
28-Sep-2009, 17:08
Nice adaption! I also found a nice 4X5 pistol bag by Uncle Mikes. Nylon luggage grade padded, rubber bottom, top flap is wide enough to put in the film holders without twisting and it cost $30.00!

Tintype Bob
1-Oct-2009, 05:53
This look good what model box is this I would like to get one

bobwysiwyg
1-Oct-2009, 06:18
This look good what model box is this I would like to get one

Found mine at Cabela, I didn't recall the model, but searched and found this (it's the same one) on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3C3K8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000E3FKTY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19K43KBG2S2AFV3Q2YQ0